Post New Topic  Post A Reply
FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic

Email this thread to someone!
Author Topic: matthew (the) good?
statica
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1420

posted 06 November 2002 02:12 AM      Profile for statica   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
"everyone's got a god to kill for ...they just all have different names"

that's how matthew good's new song ends, with those written words across the screen...

but is he some political prophet or just a front stage junky, willing to say anything controvercial to get attention.

i know many people believe the latter, or at least in part, but i think the opposite, and ya, matt is an asshole (admitted) and has 'insulted' activists who call him an activist, the way he 'insults' capitalists who call him a capitalist and 'insults' musicians who call him a musician...

i know i'd kill to write this:

"Here's a quarter for the phone
why don't you call someone and find out
how it is we can all belong
to something that no one
wants any part of
one day you'lll wake up and they'll be
advertising on police cars
and your death will sell you out
as someone smart,
somewhat smart

Baby don't get out out of bed,
just lay back down your pretty head
and they're advertising on police cars..."

From: t-oront-o | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3034

posted 06 November 2002 02:46 AM      Profile for Adam Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
i don't know where it is but somewhere there really is advertising on police cars
From: Manitoba | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Section 49
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3186

posted 06 November 2002 09:45 PM      Profile for Section 49     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
quote:

>By Associated Press, 8/26/02
>
>SPRINGFIELD, Fla. This Florida Panhandle town is getting new police cars for only $1 each, but there's a catch. The cars will be festooned with corporate sponsorship logos similar to those on race cars.

>City commissioners voted 4-0 Thursday to accept the deal with Charlotte, N.C.-based Government Acquisitions. The company hopes to provide a new squad car for each of Springfield's 15 officers within the next three years.

Government Acquisitions partner Ken Allison said advertising on cruisers destined for the Panama City suburb would be toned down.

Police Chief Sam Slay said the city could save about $500,000 over the three-year span.

"You are talking about $500,000 that can be spent other places in the city, and that's what this program is for," said Mayor Robert Walker.

Slay wants the savings used to hire two more officers, but Commissioner Carl Curti said other departments may need the money. Slay said his department should get to keep use the money
instead of being punished for saving it.

>Curti also was apprehensive about using the police car budget for other purposes.

"These free cars may not always be free cars," Curti said.

(C) Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company

http://makeashorterlink.com/?X62126F52

To serve and protect...and if your clothes need protection from stains, try Shout!

From: Toronto | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
statica
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1420

posted 07 November 2002 03:48 AM      Profile for statica   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
*faint*
From: t-oront-o | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 07 November 2002 08:24 AM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
Section 49, that goes in the hall of fame!
From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trinitty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 826

posted 07 November 2002 09:56 AM      Profile for Trinitty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
I think he's extremely talented.

The best writer of lyrics I've heard. The music is moving. He's been consistant in his views and has been steadily improving with every album.

That song "Advertising on Police cars" is from the Audio of Being, his latest, and I strongly recommend it.

I don't get what this "asshole" bit is all about. Since when do we need our artists to be nice? We have nuns for that.

He does concerts in remote towns for affordable prices, I appreciate that.

From: Europa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged