Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 04 June 2003 10:34 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
An email from a friend in Australia:

From: "davemurray101"
Date: ThuJun5,2003 1:45 am
Subject: anti-Avril-Lavigne protest in Brisbane yesterday

(I shit you not)
The sk8er girl herself was met by 8 protestors at Brisbane airport. They carried banners which read "I h8e Avril" and "Lavigne is french for Vagina".

There were clashes with police as the marchers approached the punk girls limousine. But she drove off in embarrassment.

The marchers were then surrounded by Vans belonging to the Brisbane commercial radio station, B105.Another march is promised when Christine Aguilera visits Australia later in the year.
DAVE

[ 04 June 2003: Message edited by: Mycroft ]

From: Toronto | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 04 June 2003 10:45 PM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
These protesters definately have misplaced their concerns- why have they not been protesting against Celine Dion going on tour?

I know that in the UK a little hwile back during their gun amnesty, a London radio station ran a promotion where listeners could hand over any Celine Dion albums or paraphenelia, no questions asked.

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
tyoung
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3885

posted 04 June 2003 11:03 PM      Profile for tyoung        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
Anti-Celine page

quote:
Celine Dion's face looks like it was stitched to her ass. I can't even begin to fathom why anyone likes her, or her overly emotional "music". It sounds contrived, almost as if she's wailing out of self-pity.

quote:
That is why I won't see the movie "Titanic" or any other big budget suck-fest made to target the weak-minded, empty, boring, depressed-losers with no other reason to live than to have a few artificial feelings induced by some jack-ass that wrote a "love" story

This guy sounds pretty easy-going...

From: Vancouver Island | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Moderator
Babbler # 560

posted 04 June 2003 11:16 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gir Draxon:
I know that in the UK a little hwile back during their gun amnesty, a London radio station ran a promotion where listeners could hand over any Celine Dion albums or paraphenelia, no questions asked.

That's hysterical!

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TommyPaineatWork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2956

posted 04 June 2003 11:58 PM      Profile for TommyPaineatWork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
Do they just not like Avril, or is this something about the Ausies being bitter about getting sucked into the Iraq war and looking like a bunch of lower than a dingo's belly Bush ass kissers?
From: London | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 05 June 2003 12:37 AM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
quote:
The sk8er girl herself was met by 8 protestors at Brisbane airport. They carried banners which read "I h8e Avril" and "Lavigne is french for Vagina".

How utterly... puerile.

quote:
These protesters definately have misplaced their concerns- why have they not been protesting against Celine Dion going on tour?

I thought Ms Dion had done a service to music fans everywhere by deciding to play only in Las Vegas for the next five years or something, to spare her young son the upheaval of touring.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
TommyPaineatWork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2956

posted 05 June 2003 01:42 AM      Profile for TommyPaineatWork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
From what I am lead to understand, 'lance, Celine is in fact touring, having drove all niiiiiiiiiiighiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIt.
From: London | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 05 June 2003 02:04 AM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
Lavigne is also scheduled to visit Brisbane's Mater Children's Hospital
From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tommy Shanks
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3076

posted 05 June 2003 09:57 AM      Profile for Tommy Shanks     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
quote:
There were clashes with police as the marchers approached the punk girls limousine.

Uhhh, with 8 "marchers" I doubt it was much of a clash. More of a "stand back please, let the limo through...."

From: Toronto | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 05 June 2003 11:51 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
Can I get funding to travel to Oz and teach proper - and improper - French down there?
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 05 June 2003 12:01 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
"Punk" girl?
From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 05 June 2003 12:07 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
I realize this is all sourced from a person e-mail from some Aussie guy, but is there any more info? Any particular reason, besides the rush of protest, for why a group of teens would bother doing this?
From: `,_,`,_,,_,, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 05 June 2003 12:19 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
I was wondering about French speaking Quebeckers in the States. How are they faring? When asked, do they have to respond: je parle la libert
From: Out There | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 05 June 2003 12:49 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
"Laisse le bon temps rouler."

Et toi....

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tommy Shanks
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3076

posted 05 June 2003 02:22 PM      Profile for Tommy Shanks     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
Hey are you the head of the New Orleans tourist bureau?
From: Toronto | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
rob.leblanc
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2475

posted 06 June 2003 10:53 AM      Profile for rob.leblanc     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
Why bother protesting? Just wait for her to curl up and die like all the great popstars of this time. I haven't seen any pre-teens singing "sk8er boy" at the top of their lungs in the middle of the street in a while, so my guess is that her 15th minute is almost up.
From: Where am I? Where are YOU? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pogo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2999

posted 06 June 2003 11:52 AM      Profile for Pogo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
quote:
I haven't seen any pre-teens singing "sk8er boy" at the top of their lungs in the middle of the street in a while

Then I guess that is why I didn't see you at the concert last month?

I was there with my two pre-teen daughters and was very representative of the audience, basically 10-17 year old girls. I think she is good for another albuml before she implodes.

From: Richmond BC | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 09 June 2003 07:10 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
quote:
I thought Ms Dion had done a service to music fans everywhere by deciding to play only in Las Vegas for the next five years or something, to spare her young son the upheaval of touring.

I thought it was because she cut a deal with Caeser's Palace to work off Rene's million dolar gambling debts.

If you wanna kill the snake, though you gotta cut off its head (in this case: Dianne Warren).

From: Vancouver | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 09 June 2003 07:18 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
quote:
I thought it was because she cut a deal with Caeser's Palace to work off Rene's million dolar gambling debts.

Ha! Shades of Elvis/"Colonel" Tom.

Hmmm. Elvis, like Ms Dion, wasted his talent, albeit in later years. I can't recall a time when there was a good fit between her undoubted vocal abilities, and what passes for her musical taste.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 09 June 2003 07:28 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
Celine the new Elvis?
Only she seems to be shrivelling up whereas Elvis ballooned...

From: Vancouver | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 09 June 2003 07:32 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
Well you know what they say. Historical events happen twice, the first time as farce, the second... waittaminute, how'd that go again?
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged