cooljazzcafe
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4369

posted 25 June 2004 10:55 PM      Profile for cooljazzcafe     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
I am a member of a number of online groups. The moderator of one business group posted a joke with an aboriginal character. I thought it was racist and pointed that out. Anyway, here is the thread of the posts. I've now been permanently banned from this group because of my response.

Denise

______________

Alan,

Why don't you let an aboriginal person decide whether the caracature is racist or not. You are in no position to do so, Filipino or not. Your life experience is not the life experience of a Native American. You have no special insight into their lives.Tthe term "Me want coffee" is traditionally a caracature of aboriginal speech, NOT that of Filipinos or whites. Any American or Canadian will recognize the phrase as a way to ridicule Indians, it's a phrase that thankfully has died out over here.

As for me...you can just call me Denise. I'm a woman.....a black woman.

Denise

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan D. R.de Luzuriaga"
To: [email protected]
Sent: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:17:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [MasterEntrepreneurs] Humor and Racism in the proper perspective.

> Mr. Whalen,
>
> Let us put humor and racism in its proper perspective.
>
> Where is the caricature? In speaking "Me want coffee?" In carrying buffalo manure? The character
could be a Third worlder Filipino like me, or a white American , and it would not make any
difference. The nationality or race of the character was not demeaned or ridiculed.

> The humor was in the reference to the training for a management position - very apt for a
discussion group for Entrepreneurs.

> What has no place in any forum are accusations of crudeness and racism. Or maybe I should be
explaining this to someone with a sense of humor. Not with someone who has a fixation on moral
superiority.

From: Calgary | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
BLAKE 3:16
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2978

posted 25 June 2004 11:08 PM      Profile for BLAKE 3:16     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
Yes.
From: Babylon, Ontario | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
robbie_dee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 195

posted 25 June 2004 11:24 PM      Profile for robbie_dee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
quote:
I've now been permanently banned from this group because of my response.

Denise

I also agree that the joke is racist. Is "Alan Luzuriaga" the moderator who banned you, Denise? Maybe you should find a less ignorant group of e-friends to hang around with.

I actually found the punchline of the joke rather funny. The thing is that the racist characature of the native person is totally irrelevant to it. It's actually a distraction.

[ 25 June 2004: Message edited by: robbie_dee ]

From: Iron City | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 25 June 2004 11:26 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
Yes. The joke is funny. The choice of using an native person is not.
From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
cooljazzcafe
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4369

posted 25 June 2004 11:49 PM      Profile for cooljazzcafe     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
Thanks for your responses everyone. I also didn't think the Indian character was necessary. By joining you folks here at Babble I'm sure I've found a more enlightened group :-)

Denise

From: Calgary | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wilf Day
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3276

posted 26 June 2004 12:01 AM      Profile for Wilf Day     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cooljazzcafe:
I also didn't think the Indian character was necessary.

Unnecessary? Wow, you're way more polite than I would have been.

quote:
The Indian smiles and proudly says . . .

This is blatant, crude racism of a kind that should get a manager fired.

From: Port Hope, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
wei-chi
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2799

posted 26 June 2004 12:08 AM      Profile for wei-chi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
I agree.

I think this is because it portraits a specific ethnic group as, well, stupid I guess.

I've heard this joke somewhere else with a different ethnic type.

The description of management is funny though.

Perhaps you could replace the native person with say, a mailroom clerk or something. Or a business college student.

From: Saskatoon | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 26 June 2004 12:45 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote
When I was a teenager, I might have smirked.
You know what they say about small jokes and small minds. I find that kind of humor to be lamentable and sad.

From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged