babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » from far and wide   » manitoba, ontario, quebec   » 10th anniversary of a day that changed Ontario

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: 10th anniversary of a day that changed Ontario
johnpauljones
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7554

posted 07 June 2005 07:43 PM      Profile for johnpauljones     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ten years ago, on June 8 1995 Ontario as we know changed for ever.

On that date Mike Harris his revolution of common sense and his merry gang of PCs who were not politically correct were elected to govern Ontario.

So much has changed in the last 10 years. So much is different about our fair province.

How will you mark the anniversary?

From: City of Toronto | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Reason
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9504

posted 07 June 2005 08:02 PM      Profile for Reason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by johnpauljones:
Ten years ago, on June 8 1995 Ontario as we know changed for ever.

On that date Mike Harris his revolution of common sense and his merry gang of PCs who were not politically correct were elected to govern Ontario.

So much has changed in the last 10 years. So much is different about our fair province.

How will you mark the anniversary?

In morning that the idiots of Ont felt that they would be better under the LIEberals.

Like him, or as I suspect, hate him. He did not lie to us. To me, his "revolution" made sense.

sock puppet
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7739

posted 07 June 2005 08:17 PM      Profile for sock puppet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mike Harris is a liar, and a bigot, and a thief, and a bully, with the blood of hundreds of the citizens of Ontario on his hands.

Does anyone not understand this?

Reason
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9504

posted 07 June 2005 08:23 PM      Profile for Reason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sock puppet:
Mike Harris is a liar, and a bigot, and a thief, and a bully, with the blood of hundreds of the citizens of Ontario on his hands.

Does anyone not understand this?

Clearly I do not.

At what point did he lie?

What makes him a bigot?

And there is a LOT more blood on the hands of the LIEberals then the Conservatives.

Let us try something a little more then the usual propaganda this time, eh?

sock puppet
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7739

posted 07 June 2005 08:30 PM      Profile for sock puppet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've got two quotes for you from the man himself:

"not a penny will be taken from the classrooms of the province"

Liar.

"I want those fucking indians out of there"

Bigot.

sock puppet
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7739

posted 07 June 2005 08:36 PM      Profile for sock puppet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Blood?

Dudley George. Kimberley Rogers. Increased worker fatalities. Increased deaths of the homeless. Walkerton.

Need I go on?

Your turn. I'm no fan of the Liberals, but I'd love to see what fatalities you'd try to blame on them.

fossilnut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8972

posted 07 June 2005 08:38 PM      Profile for fossilnut        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Reason. Agreed. He was a similar to Ralph Klein. angel of God or disciple of Satan, you got what you voted for. The people decide.

One must admit, however, that Harris had to come across good after the Bob Rae governmnet.

miles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7209

posted 07 June 2005 08:39 PM      Profile for miles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My fondest memory is hundreds of thousands of protesters outside of Queen's Park for the swearing in of the Harris Government.

They were not protesting a piece of legislation, a budget, a throne speech. No they were protesting because of what Harris might do. They were protesting the election platform and protesting that Harris would keep his word and implement the platform.

sock puppet
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7739

posted 07 June 2005 08:40 PM      Profile for sock puppet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
'disciple of satan' would be an apt description of those who would lie in defense of Harris.

Birds of a feather, I suppose.

sock puppet
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7739

posted 07 June 2005 08:44 PM      Profile for sock puppet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The 'CSR' was full of inherent contradictions. Anyone who wasn't an ideological true believer recognised that - and knew from day one which promises Harris would keep (tax cuts for his wealthy benefactors) and which he would break.
fossilnut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8972

posted 07 June 2005 08:48 PM      Profile for fossilnut        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Didn't the people give Harris a big majority the next election? If I recall the NDP hadn't recovered from the Rae folly and still hasn't to up to the last election.

It'll be interesting if the NDP can get back in contention in Ontario or if they'll be relegated to a perpetual 3rd place status.

Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 07 June 2005 09:14 PM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even talking about this disgusting man makes my skin crawl. And Harris supporters are just as bad.
From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
steffie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3826

posted 07 June 2005 11:35 PM      Profile for steffie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ten years ago when my welfare cheque was cut back my 2 year old child and I were forced to move from a nice bungalow with a yard to a creaky walk-up with barely a sidewalk out front.

Along with the drastic change in circumstance was the reality that I was going to have to make more of an effort to earn money. I began working as a taxi driver for cash on the side. The hours grew to a point where I was using welfare to "top off" my earnings (to a maximum of $987 a month).

This sudden immersion into the working world was the catalyst that eventually gained me the courage and the contacts to attend university, identify my unique talents and basically become a better person. I guess in a sad way I have Mike Harris to thank for that.

I probably would have made the shift anyways but the timing was such that revitalizing my earning potential coincided with the (urgent) need to do so.

FWIW, this is my experience of the Harris inauguration. Getting off the system and back on my feet felt like jumping from a ship that was sinking, fast.

[Edited to acknowledge those who went down with the ship, and those who are still frantically gasping for air. Hang in there!]

[ 07 June 2005: Message edited by: steffie ]

From: What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow / Out of this stony rubbish? | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 08 June 2005 12:09 AM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fossilnut:
Didn't the people give Harris a big majority the next election?
In the 1999 election, 55% of voters opposed the government, and 45% supported it. Under our absurd system, Harris retained 100% of the power.

mary123
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6125

posted 08 June 2005 12:30 AM      Profile for mary123     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Blood?

Dudley George. Kimberley Rogers. Increased worker fatalities. Increased deaths of the homeless. Walkerton.

That is the ultimate conservative wet dream: kill Indians and poor single moms.

From: ~~Canada - still God's greatest creation on the face of the earth~~ | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
fossilnut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8972

posted 08 June 2005 12:42 AM      Profile for fossilnut        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
In the 1999 election, 55% of voters opposed the government, and 45% supported it. Under our absurd system, Harris retained 100% of the power.

What did Bob Rae recieve when elected and then when he lost to Harris?

James
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5341

posted 08 June 2005 12:50 AM      Profile for James        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remember that morning. I remember kind of a sick, heavy feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I also remember a morning about five years earlier, when we awoke to discover we had elected Bob Rae. It was lind of a giddy feeling, with everyone looking around and saying, "Not me, I didn't do it". And it was fun.

Volrath50
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8845

posted 08 June 2005 12:32 PM      Profile for Volrath50     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remember way back, in Grade 4, when I was 9, the PC government almost fired my dad in the name of cutbacks. I remember him basically as the boogyman. (not that he wasn't). I actually wrote a story in Grade 4 that featured an evil politician named Ekim Sirrah.

That being said, as far as I know, he did keep him promises, for the most part. However it would have been better for all concerned had he broken them...

From: Rural Southern Ontario | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
danwayne
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4095

posted 08 June 2005 02:56 PM      Profile for danwayne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remember when the Tories released the Common Sense Revolution. My sense was that they had just assured themselves of about 25% of the vote.

The fact that so many Ontarions ended up supporting it, and still do, is a condemnation of our so called fair society. The same people that put Harris in power, now have their hooks into McGuinty.

Revolutions have victims. The CSR had too many victims.

One other irony. I was an NDP candidate in 1995, and I had so many people tell me "we had to get rid of Bob Rae" - sort of their way of telling me they would not vote for me.

Within a couple years, me and lots of people working for progressive causes lost their jobs (I was with the Ottawa Tenants Federation) and things were never the same. But Bob Rae keeps getting jobs. From the Law Firm, to the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, to the recent stuff on post secondary education, and now the Air India disaster. Don't get me too wrong, I think all of that is fine for Bob.......but he was never the victim of the revolution - Ontario was.

sock puppet
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7739

posted 08 June 2005 03:18 PM      Profile for sock puppet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nothing drives me to despair more than this:
quote:
That being said, as far as I know, he did keep him promises, for the most part.
...because if we fall for this Orwellian propaganda, what hope do we have of making the average working stiff see through it?

Every other word out of Harris' mouth was a blatant lie!

He constantly claimed credit for ending the recession.

BULLSHIT!!! It ended six months before he took power, and he damned well knew it.

He claimed his tax cuts were targeted at the working man.

BULLSHIT!!! The investor class was the primary beneficiary, taking home the vast majority of our tax dollars each and every time.

He claimed not to have been involved in the decision to storm Ipperwash.

BULLSHIT!!! He ordered the O.P.P. in, compromising their independence, and costing the force the respect of many in the province - and an innocent man his life.

There are many, many, many more examples, but I don't want to seem tedious - only to point out once again that Mike Harris is to this day a liar.

[ 08 June 2005: Message edited by: sock puppet ]

Volrath50
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8845

posted 08 June 2005 03:40 PM      Profile for Volrath50     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nothing drives me to despair more than this: ...because if we fall for this Orwellian propaganda, what hope do we have of making the average working stiff see through it?

Every other word out of Harris' mouth was a blatant lie!

He constantly claimed credit for ending the recession.

BULLSHIT!!! It ended six months before he took power, and he damned well knew it.

He claimed his tax cuts were targeted at the working man.

BULLSHIT!!! The investor class was the primary beneficiary, taking home the vast majority of our tax dollars each and every time.

He claimed not to have been involved in the decision to storm Ipperwash.

BULLSHIT!!! He ordered the O.P.P. in, compromising their independence, and costing the force the respect of many in the province - and an innocent man his life.

There are many, many, many more examples, but I don't want to seem tedious - only to point out once again that Mike Harris is to this day a liar.

[ 08 June 2005: Message edited by: sock puppet ]

Geez... Sorry for ticking you off so much. I don't and didn't support Mike Harris one iota. I'd like to say that I said nothing about him lying, but about keeping promises, of which those examples weren't, but I'm afraid that I'd get yelled at again for saying the slightest not bad thing about Harris.

Please keep in mind that I was in elementry school at the time...

From: Rural Southern Ontario | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
sock puppet
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7739

posted 08 June 2005 04:12 PM      Profile for sock puppet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Volrath50 - No offense intended. I recognised that you're no fan of Harris. It's just a pet peeve of mine that this particular 'Big Lie' (Harris kept promises) is so unquestioningly accepted.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 08 June 2005 04:58 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do we know how soon it will be Harris's turn to testify at the Ipperwash inquiry? I'm hoping to hear as well from his helper, Deb Hutton (?), who seems to have been the conduit through which pressure was applied to the OPP.
jolted
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7960

posted 08 June 2005 07:11 PM      Profile for jolted     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The one thing about Ontario politics that pisses me off greatly is the lack of acknowledgment that the NDP govt. took power at the same time as a recession was beginning.

Obviously, they were not the cause of the recession but had to react to its effects upon revenue.

But, of course, they were blamed for all of the belt-tightening that a recession requires. And which led to the "[less than] Common Sense Revolution".

Yuck. We're still living this down.

Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 08 June 2005 07:24 PM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Do we know how soon it will be Harris's turn to testify at the Ipperwash inquiry? I'm hoping to hear as well from his helper, Deb Hutton (?), who seems to have been the conduit through which pressure was applied to the OPP.

I cannot wait for this to happen either. I am seriously hoping that he does not get out of testifying as it seems fairly clear to me thus far that he certainly had a hand in how the OPP reacted to the Ipperwash people.

Does anyone know how OPP officer Fox died and when?

From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8667

posted 08 June 2005 10:21 PM      Profile for Carter        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Harris government did one good thing, which happens also to be the first thing that it did: It abolished photo radar. And that's it. Everything else was execrable.
From: Goin' Down the Road | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 June 2005 10:22 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, that was just one more bad thing they did.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 09 June 2005 04:25 AM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I liked that they extended open hours at the bar to 2 AM....and, well, that's about it.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albion1
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9652

posted 28 June 2005 08:35 PM      Profile for Albion1     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If there are those out there who say that Harris does not have blood on his hands I only have one name out of many for you. Dudley George !!!
From: Toronto, ON. Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 28 June 2005 08:37 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Harris government was the first in Canada to bow to the inevitable and not try to fight same-sex marriage.

Of course it fell to the federal Liberals to later show how to do this with a measure of grace and generousity.

[ 28 June 2005: Message edited by: RealityBites ]

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Krago
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3064

posted 29 June 2005 06:37 PM      Profile for Krago     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by miles:
My fondest memory is hundreds of thousands of protesters outside of Queen's Park for the swearing in of the Harris Government.

Hundreds of thousands? Really?

From: The Royal City | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 29 June 2005 06:52 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it was about 200,000. As far as I know, it was the largest demo in Ontario (provincial) history. Maybe in Canadian history, although there may have been a bigger one in Ottawa.
Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 29 June 2005 07:19 PM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I mark the anniversary of the Harris government every time I hear a helicopter.

For a couple of weeks, you see, helicopters would fly over my house, taking kids from Walkerton to Victoria Hospital here in London.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
mary123
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6125

posted 29 June 2005 08:26 PM      Profile for mary123     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll mark it by praying Mike Harris gets prison time for the horror done to Dudley George under his watch. I pray he gets prison time for all the sad and needless deaths and pain and suffering he caused a great many people during his arrogant and destructive reign.
If those killed and murdered were lobbyist friends of Mike Harris they would have made a killing instead.

Mr. "Family Values" also divorced his middle aged wife and left his 2 adopted boys and immediately had relationships with way younger women. (ugh how these women can fuck this guy is beyond me.)
(The more these conservative types advertise how moral they are, the less they actually are.)

Now this moral and ethical psychopath is advising the CPC party as well as being a "senior fellow" of the Fraser Institute. Another wanna-be George Bush fan who will get what's coming to him very soon in the memory of Dudley George and his other victims.
May we always remember your crimes Mike Harris. I for one will never let people forget.

[ 29 June 2005: Message edited by: mary123 ]

From: ~~Canada - still God's greatest creation on the face of the earth~~ | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hawkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3306

posted 29 June 2005 08:59 PM      Profile for Hawkins     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wasn't the largest protest during the Harris years when all the teachers marched on Queen's park? That is a legacy not to be desired. How many good teachers were driven out early because they simply couldn't work in the environment created by Harris? And now we are paying for it, we don't have the same experience in schools that we should have had.

How about all the nurses that left the country because they got attitude from Mr Harris?

How about skyrocketing tuition fees?

About the SSM, I am not exactly sure what you are referring to, but the courts decided that in June 2003 and at that time Eves was Premier and had little choice but to accept it because his boat was full of water.

How about the sale of public property? Just to name some big ones: Huron-Bruce Nuclear and the 407. Both are projected to be loses for the government, especially the 407 which was a massive under bidding than its value... to a Spanish/Quebec company nontheless.

Those "revenues" were then put into the budget and hidden from the public to pretend that the government wasn't in a spending deficit to pay for Harris-cuts. That was a huge lie. The books were not balanced except artificially by the sale of crown properties.

How about the Oakridges Morraine and other assaults on the precious environment around the GTA?

How about the assault on large municipalities and the lack of funding to public transit?

How about P3s?

How about devaluing urban areas in the provincial election by matching the ridings to federal areas, effectively making urban ridings larger?

Commonsense my ass.

Harris was a perpetual liar. And to get some sort of credibility for "doing what he said he was going to do" is bullshit. He wasn't truthful about what he was doing and what it would cost. He painted a rosy picture - and the only thing that saved the province was people dedicated to what they were doing before Harris. The teachers and the healthcare workers especially.

From: Burlington Ont | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
mary123
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6125

posted 29 June 2005 10:46 PM      Profile for mary123     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

[ 29 June 2005: Message edited by: mary123 ]

Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 29 June 2005 11:05 PM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well said, Hawkins.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca