babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » from far and wide   » bc, alberta, saskatchewan   » Brad Wall Cutting Taxes in a Recession

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Brad Wall Cutting Taxes in a Recession
Louis Riel Trail
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15363

posted 21 October 2008 10:32 AM      Profile for Louis Riel Trail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wall is opening the vault. So I know that the Saskatchewan economy has done pretty well recently, but the rest of the country and most of the world is having hard times. Since a lot of these places are customers for Saskatchewan products, you would think it has to hit us sooner or later. I am not sure that cutting taxes is good for the province if we are going to lose our surplus next year...

[ 21 October 2008: Message edited by: Louis Riel Trail ]

farnival
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6452

posted 21 October 2008 10:40 AM      Profile for farnival     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
classic right wing ideology....cut taxes, reducing revenue, which then allows you to claim the cupboard is bare for infrastructure and social expenditures, which then allows you to privatise public assets to pay for ongoing govt. obligations.

wall is just doing what flaherty told him to.

From: where private gain trumps public interest, and apparently that's just dandy. | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chester Drawers
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15656

posted 21 October 2008 03:43 PM      Profile for Chester Drawers        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Farnival are you implying that he is going to sell the crowns? How can you see into the future my friend, cause if you can buy the lottery ticket now. No one is going to sell off the major crowns, political suicide, as the first thought of any elected government is how do we get re-elected.

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. Raise the personal exemption and add refundable tax credit helps the lower income families directly. It doesn't favor one sector of society over another, treats everyone equally. Is that not the goal of a just society. Maintaining the fiscal stabilization account should help smooth out any bumps and reduced current debt frees up more interest payment money as well.

What alternatives would others suggest?

IMO

farnival
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6452

posted 21 October 2008 04:56 PM      Profile for farnival     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
chester, i'm not suggesting, i'm predicting.

something about the nose on one's face is coming to mind.

first he busts the public sector unions, then privatises the crowns. simple conservative ideology.

perhaps not immediately, but you watch.

From: where private gain trumps public interest, and apparently that's just dandy. | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
madmax
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15139

posted 21 October 2008 06:19 PM      Profile for madmax   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is Conservative thinking. Empty the cupboards, cry poor, privatize. That is exactly what occurred in Ontario.

Neo Cons gotta love em.

People will see no money and believe that is the only way to continue to greater prosperity.

Sorry Sask. I am certain they will get two terms.

ghoris
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4152

posted 22 October 2008 08:26 PM      Profile for ghoris     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Apparently it's BC Liberal thinking too: Campbell fast-tracks tax relief, recalls legislature.

The Libs weren't even going to have a fall session, but I guess those tax cuts just can't wait until the spring...

jas
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9529

posted 22 October 2008 09:51 PM      Profile for jas     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't want to overstate the obvious, but some people may still not realize: The BC Liberals ARE Conservatives. They are the former Socred party. Ideologically they are much more in line with federal Conservatives, especially Harper Conservatives. They may have had some friendships and fiscal resonances with the Martin Liberals, but are not even close to being Dion/Chretien/Trudeau Liberals. Utterly different animals.
From: the world we want | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca