babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » from far and wide   » bc, alberta, saskatchewan   » You know your University of Calgary degree is useless when...

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: You know your University of Calgary degree is useless when...
VanMan2000
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3399

posted 06 July 2004 03:44 PM      Profile for VanMan2000     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tuesday, Jul 06, 2004
U of C offering Stampede course

CALGARY (CBC) - Long an institution in the province, the Stampede is now a university course.

The University of Calgary is offering a three-week course on the "Culture of the Calgary Stampede," exploring how it became a powerful expression of the western way of life.

Forty students will get a history lesson as well as a three-day behind-the-scenes look at the Stampede, which begins Friday with the parade.

"I've grown up in Alberta, so I thought I might as well learn something about this cultural phenomenon," student Stephanie Talbot said. "You know, I've come every year, and for me it's all about mini-doughnuts and going on the rides and stuff.

"So I thought I might as well learn the background to it, basically to scratch the surface, so it's not all about the mini-doughnuts. It's just so I can learn some of the history behind it and how it shaped Alberta, and just a little more about Canada."

Natasha Calf Robe-Ayoungman, the Stampede's Indian princess last year, is also taking the course.

"I think there's a whole different world behind the Stampede, and a lot of people just think it's rides and carnival, but it's more than that. So much to offer," she said. "I think people are forgetting about all the heritage and all the culture.

"I think it's important to take a course like this, just to give it, I guess, a different view."

Billed as the "greatest outdoor show on Earth," the Stampede celebrates its 93rd birthday this year. A combination of fair, rodeo and chuckwagon races, the entire community gets into the act, with western wear prevalent around town and a choice of pancake breakfasts during the 10-day event.

© the CBC, 2003

From: Great Northern Way | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 06 July 2004 03:47 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tell me about it!

I read about this in the Grope this a.m. and have been trying to forget it ever since.

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 06 July 2004 03:53 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
C'mon! What would college/university be without your gut courses. BTW, how many credits do they give out nowadays for three week courses?
From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 06 July 2004 03:59 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is that what you call them, josh? When I was at U of C, I think they were called bird courses.

It's true, just three weeks long, and there is indeed some interesting history there, but we used to learn it as part of more, um, substantial history courses.

Och, I guess I shouldn't be such a grump.

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 06 July 2004 04:09 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that's what we used to call them. And, of course, I know about the university/college distinction you have that we don't. I remember having some interesting "mini-courses," as they called them. But they last eight weeks, at least. From what I understand, the social sciences continue to need to "attract" enrollment. It's an unfortunate fact of life. But even back in the 70s, the most popular history course was a mini-course on film, or "the cinema." The more things change . . . .
From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 06 July 2004 04:09 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Doesn't York have a modern vampire course of some type?

Found the professor

quote:
PROFESSOR NORMA ROWEN

I am an Associate Professor of Humanities (Arts) and my particular teaching and research areas are Fantasy and Children's Literature. Currently I am involved in teaching a Foundations Course on Children's Literature, and upper level courses on the works of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien, and on evolving images of the vampire. My main research at the moment is centred on a study of the figure of the vampire-slayer.

http://www.arts.yorku.ca/arts/council/elec/state99/ccap.html

From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
clearview
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4640

posted 06 July 2004 04:12 PM      Profile for clearview     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yabbut Heywood, Vampires are COOL, and belittling the Stampede lets us take a potshot at the rural and the Albertan at once, without being overt in our prejudices.

Edited to add: While I was at York, a graduate student was completing a study on the sociology of donut shops.

[ 06 July 2004: Message edited by: clearview ]

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 06 July 2004 04:25 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
pish....vampires. Kids stuff really.

I'll take saddlebronc any day.

From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 06 July 2004 04:26 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I got to do studies on James Bond and the Monkees for my Communications and Mass Media degree.
Why, yes, it is a useless degree.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 06 July 2004 04:29 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Studying communications, I'd have thought James Bond was obligatory.

I mean, he had the coolest disguised miniature radios and such.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 06 July 2004 04:36 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well of course. And Communications and Mass Media is definitely not just a fancy name for 'all the bits no other course would take'. Oh no.
We also did Sports Psychology. Actually, that was pretty cool.

[ 06 July 2004: Message edited by: Screaming Lord Byron ]

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 06 July 2004 04:48 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
We also did Sports Psychology. Actually, that was pretty cool.

I don't suppose this gave you any insight into the psychology of sports fans, did it? For instance, Calgary Flames fans this playoff season past?

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 06 July 2004 04:50 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nah, the course ended before we got to collective psychosis
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 06 July 2004 04:53 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Too bad.

Fans could really be charming, all right. I was walking home along 6th Ave. the Saturday of the second-last game in the finals when someone yelled "Go Flames!" at me out the back window of an SUV. I didn't react, didn't even look up, so he added, a good tenth of a second later, "... asshole!"

beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 06 July 2004 04:56 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's why I loved UVic - they woult let you do directed reading/studies on anything.

One guy did his whole thesis my year on himself. A deconstruction in the first person. Talk about all about me.

[ 06 July 2004: Message edited by: kuba ]

From: In my Apartment!!!! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
scooter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5548

posted 07 July 2004 10:50 AM      Profile for scooter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With comments like that from Skdadl you wonder why the rest of Canada dislike Toronto snobs.

I think the course is cool. Any chance to learn about our western history and culture is important. Unfortunately it usually gets drowned out by eastern biased history.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 07 July 2004 11:04 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Skdadl is from Alberta and did her degree at the U of C if I'm not mistaken.

But I do think the reaction to this course is a little bit knee-jerk. Don't forget, it's the summer semester right now, and lots of courses are condensed into short timespans, but with full days.

For instance, one summer I took a full-credit existentialism course that lasted two months. (Well, six weeks of class time, and the final exam/essay in the last two weeks). The hours were the same as a two-semester, full credit course because I went to school for full days for the course. It was fantastic. I actually wished that all my courses, all year, could be like that, because I really enjoyed immersing myself in the material for one subject all day every day. So I don't see why a respectable half-credit course couldn't be conducted in three weeks of class time if it happened to be full days.

As for this course, it could have lots of sociological and historical value to it.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rand McNally
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5297

posted 07 July 2004 11:17 AM      Profile for Rand McNally     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Scooter said “Any chance to learn about our western history and culture is important. Unfortunately it usually gets drowned out by eastern biased history.”

I know what you mean, everything gets skewed towards Newfoundland, fisheries, The Truck economic system, and the influence of the Irish. Oh, my mistake you were talking about the east that is 1500km west of the Canada I know.

The use of the term eastern Canada to refer to Ontario bugs the hell out of me. It ignores the actual eastern part of the nation. I think I will now use the term western Canada to refer to Ontario. My blood pressure also goes north every time someone says something like, “All across the nation, from Halifax to Victoria.”

[ 07 July 2004: Message edited by: Rand McNally ]

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 07 July 2004 11:19 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scooter:
With comments like that from Skdadl you wonder why the rest of Canada dislike Toronto snobs.

I think the course is cool. Any chance to learn about our western history and culture is important. Unfortunately it usually gets drowned out by eastern biased history.

skdadl: BA (Hons), U of C, 1967 -- first graduating class from the independent U of C.

scooter: I already said, above, precisely what you just said, except for the childish overgeneralizations about west and east.

With a chip on the shoulder like yours, scooter, one wonders ... Och, forget it.

scooter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5548

posted 07 July 2004 02:57 PM      Profile for scooter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The use of the term eastern Canada to refer to Ontario bugs the hell out of me.

Me too! And here I go and use it!

As for skdadl, you have a Toronto postal code and being a grump of course I'm going to bristle at your initial comments. As for your 'childish' put down, I'll just chalk it up to you being a tired old grump.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 07 July 2004 06:51 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scooter:

As for skdadl, you have a Toronto postal code and being a grump of course I'm going to bristle at your initial comments. As for your 'childish' put down, I'll just chalk it up to you being a tired old grump.

In fact, scooter, I am charming and talented and am only now just pushing eighteen.

And I have posted close to daily on this site for over three years of my deep and abiding love for Calgary, Alberta, and Medicine Hat, not necessarily in that order.

beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 07 July 2004 07:20 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can speak for Skdadl's love of the Hat and Calgary. She's the reason I moved here.

I think its a sterotypical thing. Everyone assumes us who belong to BWAGA (not to mention the founders) must be grumpy.

From: In my Apartment!!!! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca