babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » from far and wide   » bc, alberta, saskatchewan   » The knives are out for Ralph Klein

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: The knives are out for Ralph Klein
Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 29 June 2004 04:33 PM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A lot of Conservatives are wanting to kick his ass for giving Martin an issue to whip us with, and in doing so losing us the election.

A PC MLA has just crossed the floor to become an Alberta Alliance MP.

The winds of change are blowing. But I am worried about their direction.

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 29 June 2004 04:35 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, start a new thread why dontcha. My other post still stands and I'll quote it here (quoting yourself is SOOOO Cool).

quote:
I've been campaigning on various conservative races over the last year and when the conversation turned to Ralph, the quiet consensus was that maybe it's time for him to go. After the healthcare "gaffe", the quiet consensus turned into a loud & open conversation, with few dissenters.
The problem is that he is the leader until the next convention, which is a few years away. Jim Dinning is the heir apparent but he won't move against Ralph. He'll wait for his turn.

Apparently an Alberta PC just crossed the floor to Thorstein's Alberta Alliance. I don't know who it is yet. Thorstein isn't ready to be the premier so I don't know how much real good it will do.

In conversations with the next generation of Alberta conservatives, there is complete agreement that Klein has passed the best-by date and needs to go.

Who do we choose as a replacement?

From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
clearview
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4640

posted 29 June 2004 04:49 PM      Profile for clearview     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gary Masyk made the move.
beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 29 June 2004 04:55 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This ties into my other post so nicely.... As sure as the wind is from the West and the poopey pig smell blankets my patio....... So too...
From: In my Apartment!!!! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 29 June 2004 05:02 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Masyk was first elected in 2001. He garnered headlines when he advocated that repeat offenders and pedophiles be sent to Siberia to work in the salt mines.

Good grief. Is there something more than calcium in the water in this province?

[ 29 June 2004: Message edited by: 'lance ]

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
clearview
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4640

posted 29 June 2004 05:08 PM      Profile for clearview     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 'lance:

Good grief. Is there something more than calcium in the water in this province?

My brother lives in the riding of Wildrose. He told me he'd wake up in a cold sweat during the election out of fear that the Conservatives might be able to take power federally. Even though we discuss politics on a regular basis, he still insists on telling me that I don't realize how crazy most of the Conservatives are.

CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 29 June 2004 05:44 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yup, must be.
Will it really make that much difference if King Ralph gets tossed bodily from office? I mean, the Alberta conservative party(with the exception of Heywood and his family ) all seem to be fundamentalist crackpots with positively medieval views on everything from homosexuality to the young offenders act. If Ralph gets fired from the party, they will probably get somebody who believes Calgary should separate and start building weapons of mass destruction. As a prerquisite leading the party, he would probably have to believe that that Jesus is currently living in his spare bedroom.

Hopefully, they'll get a principaled conservative to step forward and take the reins.

Hey Heywood, have you ever considered running for the leadership of the Alberta Cons?

[ 30 June 2004: Message edited by: CMOT Dibbler ]

From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 29 June 2004 05:48 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Uh. No.

Too many skeletons in my closet. Also, the big blue machine is a scary thing to behold when it fires up and I have no traction provincially so the post e-day headline on rabble would be "Rabble candidate crushed like a Pinto under Grave-diggers tires".

beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 29 June 2004 05:51 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
If Ralph gets fired from the party, they will probably get somebody who believes Calgary should separate and start building weapons of mass destruction and that Jesus is currently living in his spare bedroom.

He moved out of Harper's spare room just because he didn't get elected. Boy, you would think Jesus of all people would be more forgiving.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 29 June 2004 06:44 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Too many skeletons in my closet.

Care to elaborate on that, Heywood?

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 29 June 2004 06:48 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heck, I'm proud of that.

No skeletons really. Some people make good politicos and some make better organizers. I'm more of the latter.

guy cybershy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1021

posted 29 June 2004 07:50 PM      Profile for guy cybershy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anyone who wants a good laugh make sure and read Paul Jackson's column in the Sun today. For once he makes a bit of sense.
Klein is apparently the fall guy for last night's Tory fiasco. Apparently he is either a closet liberal or he deliberately sabatoged Harpers chances because he couldn't stand sharing the spotlight with a prime minister from Alberta.
Makes perfect sense to me. The right-wing media have fed Klein's ego to the point where he thinks he's god almighty, so they only have themselves to blame.
Happy Canada Day!

Gearhead
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5182

posted 29 June 2004 10:21 PM      Profile for Gearhead        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cruelfool:
Klein is apparently the fall guy for last night's Tory fiasco. Apparently he is either a closet liberal or he deliberately sabatoged Harpers chances because he couldn't stand sharing the spotlight with a prime minister from Alberta.

WRONG!! Klein just feared not being able to bash Ottawa, so he saw to it that the Liberals remained well positioned. He would nave nothing to gripe about if Harper reigned on Canada's parade.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 29 June 2004 10:23 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Apparently he is either a closet liberal or he deliberately sabatoged Harpers chances because he couldn't stand sharing the spotlight with a prime minister from Alberta.
Makes perfect sense to me.

A simpler explanation, such as that he's a dolt or more likely his political judgement is starting to fail him -- perhaps because, as you say, he takes seriously the adulation of what passes for media in this province -- makes more sense to me.

guy cybershy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1021

posted 29 June 2004 10:30 PM      Profile for guy cybershy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He's a complete egomaniac ruling like a prince in a medieval fiefdom, no wonder he's lost touch with reality. And he'll be re-elected in a landslide no doubt.
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 29 June 2004 10:37 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
He's a complete egomaniac ruling like a prince in a medieval fiefdom, no wonder he's lost touch with reality. And he'll be re-elected in a landslide no doubt.

I agree with both your statements.

I just can't buy Jackson's closet-Liberal-or-saboteur theory because it seems to me to be based in wishful thinking -- the wish, that is, to find someone, anyone to blame for a result the ReformTM Mk III brought on itself, but which Jackson likely regards as the worst day for Alberta since the National Energy Program.

guy cybershy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1021

posted 29 June 2004 10:40 PM      Profile for guy cybershy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anyway it was fun to read a Jackson coulumn without vomiting, especially since it was the miserable media in this provinince who built Klein's image for him. Now it seems he's let them down.
Anyone know much about this Alberta Alliance, which shade of facism might they represent?

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 29 June 2004 10:42 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Since buddy Carl Masyk wants to send pedophiles and recidivists to toil in the Siberian salt mines, I'm not sure if fascism is the right word, or Tsarism.

Edited: here's a link to the Alberta Alliance web site.

[ 29 June 2004: Message edited by: 'lance ]

guy cybershy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1021

posted 29 June 2004 10:46 PM      Profile for guy cybershy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And what a warm a fuzzy website it is, even quoting Martin Luther King. I assume this must the Social Credit under a new name. Wonder if Jim Keegstra is still a member. He was the leader at one time.
clearview
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4640

posted 29 June 2004 10:50 PM      Profile for clearview     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
here's a link to the Alberta Alliance web site.

Wow, they quote MLK, self-identify as 'right wing', and thier logo looks like it could be an oil well spewing oil that's the colour of money.

guy cybershy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1021

posted 29 June 2004 10:54 PM      Profile for guy cybershy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was a few years ago that Social credit split in two, because there was "too many mormons". I wonder which faction this bunch of wing nuts represent, mormon or non-mormon?
guy cybershy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1021

posted 29 June 2004 11:05 PM      Profile for guy cybershy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
the leader sounds like a nice guy, 8 kids, went to BYU. He believes in tolerance, I'll bet they have plenty of gay members. A government in waiting!
clearview
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4640

posted 29 June 2004 11:10 PM      Profile for clearview     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, mormon or non-mormon, I'd say they're nuts.
guy cybershy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1021

posted 29 June 2004 11:13 PM      Profile for guy cybershy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I come from deep in bible belt country myself, it is hard to explain the mentality. the two main churches are Dutch reformed and LDS, both of which are completely racist and homophobic. But the people themselves are not as right-wing as you would think.
clearview
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4640

posted 29 June 2004 11:39 PM      Profile for clearview     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was calling them nuts based on the extreme fiscal and labour policies I was reading in thier platform and policy document.

It amazes me how many people are big on community, but see nothing wrong with business using its substantial economic power to divide and conquer in the 'labour market'.

Vansterdam Kid
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5474

posted 30 June 2004 03:04 AM      Profile for Vansterdam Kid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh Cripies are the Alberta PC's too left wing?

I understand that some Conservatives may be pissed at Ralph Klein for the whole health care issue but really Harper should have dealt with that better by saying he doesn't want to go down the two-tier health-care road and continuing to attack Paul Martin for including people like Keith Martin in his team who have called for just that! Honestly this seems like sour grapes to me.

Vansterdam Kid
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5474

posted 30 June 2004 03:25 AM      Profile for Vansterdam Kid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey let's not forget that and I quote:

quote:

Edmonton - Conservative MLA Gary Masyk, who once advocated sending criminals to the salt mines, is leaving Ralph Klein's government to sit as a member of the Alberta Alliance.

Is that much of a loss?

Seriously? If it snow-balls then perhpas but the salt mines?

spindoctor
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 958

posted 30 June 2004 04:56 PM      Profile for spindoctor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
While browsing through the Paul Jackson column I came across this gem.

The fewer young folks who vote, the better

Oh the Sun chain....what brilliance....

From: Kingston, Jamaica.....oh alright....Kingston, Ontario | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 30 June 2004 04:57 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On another thread I suggested flogging.
Art J
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2259

posted 30 June 2004 05:34 PM      Profile for Art J     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I understand that some Conservatives may be pissed at Ralph Klein for the whole health care issue but really Harper should have dealt with that better by saying he doesn't want to go down the two-tier health-care road and continuing to attack Paul Martin for including people like Keith Martin in his team who have called for just that! Honestly this seems like sour grapes to me.

Yeah, really. Harper was called out on the health issue, and his silence was deafening.

From: British Columbia Inc. - Let us Prey | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ranger03
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5302

posted 30 June 2004 08:51 PM      Profile for Ranger03        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ralph has just decided to give money to health care however has just used it as a blind to installing his new private clinics and have all Albertans pay for it as the feds can now cut more funding... Ralph makes a good case for retro-active birth control. Okay so we need options... There are no friggin options....Pray for lots of independants. Ralph Klein is Rob Anders estranged father.. Miron Thompson is Ralphs dad however does not realize due advanced dimensia..
guy cybershy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1021

posted 30 June 2004 09:21 PM      Profile for guy cybershy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He seemed astonished people were blaming him for Tories defeat. He said it was none of Ontario's business what Alberta does with health care. He can't possibly be that stupid.
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 30 June 2004 09:25 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
He can't possibly be that stupid.

Again: are you sure? Remember, he it was who speculated -- in the context of rejecting the science behind the Kyoto Accord -- that the tropical climate during the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods was down to... dinosaur flatulence.

guy cybershy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1021

posted 30 June 2004 09:51 PM      Profile for guy cybershy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well...okay maybe he is that stupid. I hope people are starting to realise he is an embarassment and a real liability to this province.
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 30 June 2004 09:55 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
After only two years in Alberta, I'm coming to believe that Law One of Alberta politics is "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by Ralph's stupidity."

In truth I think he once did have some political skills. But things have been so easy for him for so long that these have atropied into something not much better than low cunning.

guy cybershy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1021

posted 30 June 2004 10:05 PM      Profile for guy cybershy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The media here are so servile, they've made things too easy for him. I remember the last prov. election, I was watching the returns on CFCN and Barb Higgins actually started laughing when it became apparent it was another Tory landslide. Where else in Canada would that happen!
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 30 June 2004 10:15 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The media here are so servile, they've made things too easy for him.

Did you see that article in Alberta View magazine a couple of months back, describing how the media have become servile (actually, more servile; they were never particularly oppositional) to the provincial Tories over the years?

If anything, I thought the writer was too easy on the mainstream media hereabouts, too determined to be fair to them -- perhaps for fear of ostracism.

And of course, the question of corporate ownership didn't come up -- at least, not as I recall. I should review the piece I guess.

[ 30 June 2004: Message edited by: 'lance ]

guy cybershy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1021

posted 30 June 2004 10:22 PM      Profile for guy cybershy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, I haven't seen the article really I don't see how they could get any more servile. The Herald used to try to be a bit even handed, now they're as bad as the Sun. I'm sure that nasty strike they had a few years back has something to do with it.
Knave
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6388

posted 01 July 2004 04:11 PM      Profile for Knave     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I just can't buy Jackson's closet-Liberal-or-saboteur theory because it seems to me to be based in wishful thinking...

Ah, Ralphie. A closet Liberal? Maybe not as far in the closet as he'd like, sometimes....

After all, I do believe that Premier Klein did own a Liberal Party membership once upon a time, back around the time he was elected Mayor of the fair city of Calgary, or so.... most people don't even remember that, but my father certainly does.

Like most citizens, Albertans seemingly have a short memory.....

beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 01 July 2004 04:19 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Servile and docile.... But Lucia Corbello wrote yesterday that Ralph's gotta go. She must be having some sort of a meltdown, better get her tin foil hat retooled.
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 01 July 2004 04:28 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're kidding. Got a link?
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 01 July 2004 04:39 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://tinyurl.com/2fllk

If that doesn't work Licia can be found at the calgary sun - click on comment - click on her -- its the June 30th column

I feel dirty just looking at it again.

No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 01 July 2004 05:54 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Incredible!! So when Ralph says he is going to violate the healthcare act, and when Harper, who claims he supports the healthcare act, doesn't stand up to demand Ralph explain himself and commit to protecting Alberta from any such violation, then it is not the fact that the healthcare act is going to be violated that disturbs Alberta elites. . . it is not the fact the violation was being planned in the backrooms that disturbed the Alberta elites . . . it wasn't the fact that Harper was obviously showing he lied to Canadians about standing up for healthcare and the healthcare act in Canada that disturbed Alberta elites . . . no, what disturbed Alberta elites is that Ralph exposed Harpers dishonesty and that may have cost him the position as PM!!

So, the "thinking" in Alberta is that they need to have provincial leaders who can keep their mouths shut so as not to expose the lies of the Alberta owned right winged federal party de jour!!

Tell me again why I should have any respect for Alberta??

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
HellofaSandwich
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5681

posted 01 July 2004 06:41 PM      Profile for HellofaSandwich   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hate it when people like you talk about "hating Alberta" or "having no respect for Alberta".

Talk about your hatred for Klein. Talk about your hatred for Alberta's blue Tories. But don't do the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of Albertans who voted against Klein in the last election the disservice of spitting on our province as a whole.

Thank you.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 01 July 2004 06:47 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First Past the Post distorts the picture in Alberta just as in Canada as a whole. Klein's Tories got 89% of the seats last time with only 62% of the vote.

And for what it's worth, turnout is lower in Alberta than in federal elections, at only 53% last time. Discouraged voters? I'm thinkin'.

[ 01 July 2004: Message edited by: 'lance ]

beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 01 July 2004 06:47 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Tell me again why I should have any respect for Alberta?

What about me.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 01 July 2004 06:53 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ah, Ralphie. A closet Liberal? Maybe not as far in the closet as he'd like, sometimes....

After all, I do believe that Premier Klein did own a Liberal Party membership once upon a time, back around the time he was elected Mayor of the fair city of Calgary, or so.... most people don't even remember that, but my father certainly does.

Like most citizens, Albertans seemingly have a short memory.....

Yeah, but what I mean is I can't believe he'd sabotage Harper because he's still, secretly, loyal to the Liberals.

He's always had an eye to the main chance, is all. Nothing surprising about that. If he had a Liberal membership back then, it was because he reckoned, back then, it would bring him more opportunity.

Gir Draxon
Babbler # 3804

posted 01 July 2004 08:10 PM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HellofaSandwich:
I hate it when people like you talk about "hating Alberta" or "having no respect for Alberta".

Talk about your hatred for Klein. Talk about your hatred for Alberta's blue Tories. But don't do the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of Albertans who voted against Klein in the last election the disservice of spitting on our province as a whole.

Thank you.

*applause*

And I would add that this post would be just as good if "Alberta" was replaced with "the USA", "Klein" with "Bush", "THOUSANDS" with "MILLIONS" and "province" with "country".

Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 01 July 2004 11:28 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Agreed. We Albertans deserve some respect. We're here working to change hearts and minds here, day in day out. Cut us some slack, eh?
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 02 July 2004 10:54 AM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OK, the Albertans here are all fine people, whom I have great respect for . . . but can I still hate and disrespect your "elites"?? Maybe I should ask why should I have any respect for "political Alberta"?

These people are incredibly and completely corrupted, and they seem to not care one wit . . . as a matter of fact they seem to wear their dishonesty as some sort of badge of honour!!

They do not even bother to pretend that Klein tried to expose a lie about their aganda . . . no, they take out their knives against Klein because he exposed that THEY were lying!! These freaking losers actually believe that they have a moral obligation to lie to Canadians!!!!

Sorry folks, but as much as I believe that there are many fine Albertans still working towards building a better Canada, I cannot support or have respect for the "political Alberta" that I am seeing being forced onto the Canadian political scene . . . Canada is better off without that "political Alberta" as a member of confederation . . . all you fine Albertans (left and right, Christian or otherwise, but no neo-cons and fundies) can separate from Alberta and join up with Canada as the province of Edmonton!

So to "political Alberta" I say VIVE LE ALBERTA LIBRE!! with my blessing, and don't let the door hit your butt on the way out!

Now, the really sad thing is that the Ad-Scam situation has the Liberals doing exactly the same backwards nonsense of justifying the corruption as "for the good of Canada" . . . fortunatly, Quebec, the "scene of the crime" is outraged and embarassed that such corruption and crooks were allowed to operate in their province . . . so I guess the best thing is for us to ship the Liberals to the province of "political Alberta" and cut them all adrift.

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 02 July 2004 11:01 AM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Come to think of it though, I am pretty P.O.ed at Ontario (and Toronto) as well, they re-elected the Liberal scum as well . . . I'm thinking here that the only sane people in this country are in Quebec . . they seem to be the only ones that will elect people who are actually interested in doing what's right both morally and for their people.
Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 02 July 2004 11:21 AM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No problem, No Yards. You can understand if we get a little touchy on this one. We hear a lot from our elites about our difference of political opinion being 'un-Albertan'.
beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 02 July 2004 11:39 AM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even the FORKS are out to get Ralph.
Gearhead
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5182

posted 02 July 2004 11:47 AM      Profile for Gearhead        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If I may...

Little by little, Albertans are beginning to realize who has their best interest at heart. Even the Edmonton Sun had some choice words for Klein, pointing out that Albertans would end up paying more out of pocket.

For years, I have been telling people - from the postman to the hair stylist - that when my wife and I lived in the States and we weren't covered by a employer insurance plan, we payed the equivalent of CAD$12,000 in insurance premiums. And this policy, the best we could find at the time - and given that we had a new-born child and wanted the best for our family - had a $500 deductible, meaning that any regular office visit or check-up was going to be out-of pocket expense.

THIS is the debate we should be having: What is at the bottom of the "slippery slope" we are being pushed towards? The "two-tier/no two-tier" argument is what the CONS want us to talk about - it is abstract, dry and has no meaning to the average person. Tell them instead that the Klein government wants tens of thousands from each of us, and tens of thousands PER EMPLOIYEE of small and medium businesses that off to pay the health care "premiums" as a benefit, then let's see how many Albertans will decend upon the Leg demanding that Klein and his cronies leave.

beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 02 July 2004 12:09 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Seems hard to justify when Ralph's gift to the province next year is going to be the announcement that there is no more debt.
arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 02 July 2004 12:29 PM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kuba:
Seems hard to justify when Ralph's gift to the province next year is going to be the announcement that there is no more debt.

Yes, after Jesus gave him the oil, he anointed him in invulnerable juices so he could do no wrong.

Oil is at $40/barrel right now. A Macaque could pay off the Alberta debt in that circumstance.

They have a $4B surplus, and class sizes in elementary schools are 5-15 more students than they were ten years ago. Kids with special needs have almost NO support anymore. Kids with learning disabilities, in Kleinland, are expected to 'pull up their socks' and just pay closer attention.

The really strange thing is that the majority of Albertans see equal access to health care, quality education and the rest of the social programs as the most important issues. They say this every day, across the province, except one (Election Day), when they reelect the Tory assholes in yet another landslide.

Let's also not forget that over 2 million Westerners votes against the Reformatories, and only 1.7 million voted for them. Seat counts might as well be picked by drunken monkeys, the popular vote is what should matter in a democracy.

Edited to correct an inaccurate number.

[ 02 July 2004: Message edited by: arborman ]

From: I'm a solipsist - isn't everyone? | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
steam.machine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4916

posted 03 July 2004 10:05 PM      Profile for steam.machine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm thinking here that the only sane people in this country are in Quebec . . they seem to be the only ones that will elect people who are actually interested in doing what's right both morally and for their people.

I had to laugh at that one. The political elites of Quebec are upset about the election results as they are that Stephen Harper didn't make into the PMO.

They are all prepared to shovel all kinds of money into Quebec all over again now that they have incredible leverage in the new Parliament. If Gilles Duceppe was truly committed to Separation, he would call for a non-confidence motion at the first opportunity when Parliaments sits next.

Don't count on that happening though. The Bloc will want to hang on to those comfy seats for a while, and Paul Martin will only be too happy to oblige them in exchange for keeping the government afloat.

And of course, we taxpayers will be more than happy to pay the band for this dance....

steam.machine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4916

posted 03 July 2004 10:13 PM      Profile for steam.machine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As for Ralph, I don't think it's a big secret he's getting ready to retire...he's pulling a Chretien and telling everybody what he thinks, rather than the strategic message that is to be spun on the public.

Here's the timeline for Ralph as I see it...he calls an election in November, has a big surplus in the budget next March which pays off the debt, hosts the Queen and celebrates the province's cenetennial birthday, then announces he's left a legacy of a debt free province and turns the keys over to the next guy.

Ralphie is no big threat to anybody...question is, how will the next guy see things?

Ranger03
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5302

posted 10 July 2004 01:24 PM      Profile for Ranger03        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Here's the timeline for Ralph as I see it...he calls an election in November, has a big surplus in the budget next March which pays off the debt, hosts the Queen and celebrates the province's cenetennial birthday, then announces he's left a legacy of a debt free province and turns the keys over to the next guy.

Oh God, you are correct.

quote:
The education Minister who is responsible for screwing education has been reelected by the morons in his constituency. The message is well taken: we will take what ever to national Socialist conservative party of Alberta wants to give us then will run down as a herd to reelect those responsible for ruining our society. Nietzsche would be proud of us. The supposed rugged individualists are actually proving his "herd mentality". Moo, moo!

BLOG

Performance Anxiety
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3474

posted 13 July 2004 11:54 PM      Profile for Performance Anxiety        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think they should punish Alberta by replacing Klein with that Dar Heatherington (sp?) from Lethbridge as the new premier.

From: Outside of the box | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gir Draxon
Babbler # 3804

posted 14 July 2004 03:25 AM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by arborman:
the popular vote is what should matter in a democracy.

But that would cause ALL of the power to go to the major urban centers and would completely snub rural areas...

quote:
Originally posted by arborman:

Oh, now I get it.

But proportional representation is another thread.

I think steam.machine has it right- Klein is essentially Jean Chretien. But there is nobody like Paul Martin who is itching to get into the boss' chair. I am far more concerned about the seperatist movement than some PC doofus like Oberg trying to take over. But in any case, it is clear that the Tories need some time in opposition to stop and reinvent themselves. Now that we are debt-free, I guess we can afford an NDP government for one term

Raos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5702

posted 14 July 2004 04:18 AM      Profile for Raos     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think they should punish Alberta by replacing Klein with that Dar Heatherington (sp?) from Lethbridge as the new premier.

haven't we been punished enough with Klein? I mean really!

From: Sweet home Alaberta | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca