babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » from far and wide   » bc, alberta, saskatchewan   » Smog in the Fraser Valley

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Smog in the Fraser Valley
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 24 June 2004 09:01 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Have you southern BCers noticed the Smog in the Fraser Valley for the last several days? This place looks like Los Angeles, Mexico City and Seoul.

Edited to add: BC Air Quality

[ 24 June 2004: Message edited by: Cougyr ]

From: over the mountain | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
cottonwood
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4839

posted 25 June 2004 02:49 AM      Profile for cottonwood     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't suppose it could have something to do with the heartlands being on fire, could it? I'm watching one of the fires burning on the side of a mountain a couple of miles from my house, and the smoke goes a long ways from just one of these fires (and a relatively small one at that). I'd imagine that 300 of them could be affecting air quality in the Fraser Valley if the wind is blowing the right (wrong?) way.

[ 25 June 2004: Message edited by: SteveT ]

From: British Columbia | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 25 June 2004 12:05 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveT:
I don't suppose it could have something to do with the heartlands being on fire, could it?

We thought of that, but we don't smell smoke.

cottonwood
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4839

posted 25 June 2004 12:43 PM      Profile for cottonwood     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cougyr:

We thought of that, but we don't smell smoke.

I don't think you'd smell much at that point. The smoke would be too dispersed. I can only smell smoke when the wind is blowing it right at my house (I don't particularly like those times, by the way, and not just because of the smell). For the most part, the smokey haze hangs pretty high up. I remember a few years back, there was a huge forest fire in Russia that resulted in a noticeable haze here in Northern BC.

From: British Columbia | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 25 June 2004 01:40 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveT:
I remember a few years back, there was a huge forest fire in Russia that resulted in a noticeable haze here in Northern BC.

I remember that.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca