FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » from far and wide   » bc, alberta, saskatchewan   » RAV rage

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: RAV rage
tyoung
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3885

posted 24 June 2004 01:00 PM      Profile for tyoung        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Those spectating in other parts of canada - settle in. BC is once again about to entertain with the improbable actions of its politicians.

Unsatisfied that the RAV is dead, and there will be no silver shovel to turn the first soil in front of the cameras, no ribbon to cut as the Olympics approach, our heroes have turned their attention to quite a different project. Yes, instead of a public transportation project to reduce vehicle use, the infinite wisdom of our leaders have decided to throw their support behind a huge bridge/freeway project. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried...

From: Vancouver Island | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 24 June 2004 01:32 PM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I almost fell out of my chair when I read this yesterday. Campbell is so desperate to have a massive greed and corruption fiasco of his very own that he is willing to devastate the city to do it.

I presume it's because he knows his days are numbered, and he wants to ensure some directorships will be available after he gets kicked out of office next year.

From: I'm a solipsist - isn't everyone? | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 24 June 2004 01:36 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tyoung:
Yes, instead of a public transportation project to reduce vehicle use, the infinite wisdom of our leaders have decided to throw their support behind a huge bridge/freeway project.

The egos in Vancouver can't understand that not everybody wants to go there. The Port Mann Bridge is clogged, partly because it's the only crossing in the area. If you want to go from Surrey to Maple Ridge, you have to cross Port Mann. If you want to go from Port Coquitlam to Langley, it means using the Port Mann. If you want to go from Abbotsford to the Vancouver Airport, it's across Port Mann. That bridge is like the narrow part of an hour glass.

The Valley needs other routes. The Port Mann Bridge is often the long way around, but it's the only way.

From: over the mountain | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
tyoung
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3885

posted 24 June 2004 03:59 PM      Profile for tyoung        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Valley needs other routes. The Port Mann Bridge is often the long way around, but it's the only way.

I agree completely, but I am not sure that increased single-occupant car capacity is the way to go. Maybe instead of other routes, the focus should be on other methods. More of the big, articulated express busses, linking up with an expanded, lower-cost Westcoast express schedule? How about a toll on the existing Port Mann to subsidise more mass transit to an from the valley? A dedicated transit lane accross the Port Mann, which would increase commute times and force people onto public transit?

It seems to be generally accepted that increased vehicle capacity solves gridlock in the short term, but as commute times drop, more commuters will move into valley houses and condos, and the gridlock will return.

My point was not so much that other valley solutions are unnecessary, but that the timing of this sudden change of focus came so quickly out of left field.

From: Vancouver Island | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 24 June 2004 05:46 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
An eight-lane freeway and a second span?

I knew the BC Liberals loved the USA, but emulating it with wide as hell freeways wasn't what I thought they were after.

About the only alternate route to the Fraser Valley other than the Port Mann is to take the Alex Fraser to Highway 10 and putter along that way.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Centrist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5422

posted 24 June 2004 06:04 PM      Profile for Centrist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's simple - it's called transportation and logistics and the efficient movement of goods and services, let alone alleviation of congestion (which costs the regional economy between $1 billion to $1.5 billion annually).

The Port Mann twinning and upgrades to the Trans-Canada have been well known through the regional and local papers for several years.

Other highway projects such as the South Fraser Perimeter Highway are also part of the Gateway Program.

It has to be done.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/gateway/index.htm

Cougyr
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3336

posted 24 June 2004 08:58 PM      Profile for Cougyr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tyoung:
. . . . I am not sure that increased single-occupant car capacity is the way to go.

Agreed. But, placing another bridge or two in strategic locations would mean shorter trips for an awful lot of people.

People travelling from Abbotsford (and points East) going to the Tsawassen Ferry terminal have to trundle down Hwy 10, a route which is stop and go all the way. There is absolutely no good way to get to the Vancouver airport from here.

From: over the mountain | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir George Williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6119

posted 25 June 2004 01:16 PM      Profile for Sir George Williams        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Centrist

I like the faith you place in figures the government provides in order to justify their megaproject of the day.

".... 800 million to 1.5 billion .... is the cost of time lost.

Quite a spread, don't you think so?

Pogo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2999

posted 25 June 2004 06:37 PM      Profile for Pogo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Please help vote down the RAV!RAV support poll

The Liberals are using the most unscientific of polls to justify their actions.

If you vote on one web poll this year...

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca