babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » from far and wide   » bc, alberta, saskatchewan   » Calgary again...

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Calgary again...
Lima Bean
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3000

posted 24 November 2003 12:04 PM      Profile for Lima Bean   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, we talked extensively about Alberta and Calgary in this thread, but it kinda spiralled out of control.

I'm here to ask folks who actually like Calgary to tell me what's good about it, and how I might come to tolerate it as a place to live. At present, I have a lot of prejudice against it as an urban nightmare of concrete and misanthropy...I'm gonna need some help changing my mind.

I ask because it's looking likely that I'll be going to school there soon.

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 24 November 2003 12:37 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lima, welcome to Calgary. When you arrive, let me know and I will be glad to take you out for some sushi (or whatever you want).

What will you be studying here?

What is there to like about Calgary?

1. CHINOOKS!!!! Go to bed at -30, wake up at +7. The chinook arch (a distinct cloud formation) is the most beautiful sight in the cold.

2. Everyone here is so darn friendly. This is commented on repeatedly by visitors and new residents.

3. You can jaywalk downtown and people will actually stop for you, instead of speeding up.

4. We have excellent amenities and facilities.

5. All the post-secondary major schools have excellent transit access (LRT or Bus).

6. Once you get used to the quadrant system, it is very easy to find your way around.

7. You are about an hour from the best national and provincial parks in Canada. (Banff is nice but overrated, K-Country is my personal favorite).

8. Alberta Beef.

9. The bike path network is world-class.

10. No power boating in the city. You can sail on the Glenmore reservoir and raft the Elbow and Bow rivers.

quote:
. At present, I have a lot of prejudice against it as an urban nightmare of concrete and misanthropy

The misanthropy part is just plain wrong but you have to come here to understand that (and break the stronghold that the EASTERN LIBERAL MEDIA has upon you).

Downtown is an urban concrete jungle. We have very few heritage buildings left. However, once you leave the tower section, you find many beautiful old neighborhoods.

If you are going to either the U of C, SAIT, or ACAD, may I suggest finding a place in the downtown district. (between 10th ave and 17th ave SW, no further west than 10th st). The walk to the LRT from there is about 15 mins (the bus takes about as long). It gets you away from the university proper and into a district central to the youth scene.

If you have a car, LEAVE IT WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM. While the registration is cheap, the insurance is through the roof for students and with the transit network and a good place to live, you can get by without it. Parking is so overpriced here (downtown is the highest in Canada) it is almost criminal.

From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 24 November 2003 12:41 PM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Personally, I like Drumheller, but never got a chance to do the trail when I went there last August. The museum is world-class. (I visit Alberta every so often since I have relatives there, mostly in Edmonton. Friends in Calgary, and used to live there.)
From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
DownTheRoad
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4523

posted 24 November 2003 12:59 PM      Profile for DownTheRoad     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Your adjustment will be easier if you have or can develop an interest in outdoor recreation. The opportunities are endless and it's a HUGE part of the culture. I agree with HF about k-country -- leave Banff to the tourists, although the hikes in the Moraine Lake area are absolute musts for a newcomer.

Even if that's not your thing, you'll still have no trouble finding stuff to do. Try to find a place near downtown or at least along the LRT then most of what the city has to offer will be easily accessible.

I hope you don't like the heat. I was never able to get used to the three season (spring/fall/winter) climate.

From: land of cotton | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 24 November 2003 01:13 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know what you plan for housing but condos are really cheap here. There are tons of them and more going up all the time. You can get most of them for 0 down if you don't mind a higher interest rate for the first three years.

The east village has some units going in as a precursor to the redevelopment going in. The area is seedy now but that will change within the next few years. Bridgeland has thousands of units going in on the old hospital site.

Lima Bean
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3000

posted 24 November 2003 02:24 PM      Profile for Lima Bean   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, if things actually turn out the way they're looking these days, I'll be studying at ACAD and hopefully sharing a house or an apartment with my two cousins who already live there (I have yet to actually spring the idea on them, but I'm hoping they'll be amenable).

I like outdoor sports, but I'm not extreme in the least. I think I can really get into the ease with which one can leave Calgary, and having the mountains and the BC border so close by. And it'll be nice to have some open sky again...Toronot's awfully claustrophobic for an Albertan.

I guess I'm looking for info on cool neighborhoods to live in, good cafe/restaurant/nightlife districts, good food and shopping, and sorta lefty-friendly stuff.

I'm not interested in Alberta beef, thanks, and I don't think I'll be buying a condo any time soon (or ever), and I don't have a car, but I will bring my bike with me.

What's the park system like? How much greenspace is there in the sort of university/ACAD or downtown area that people would recommend I set up house in?

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 24 November 2003 02:41 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Greenspace is limited in the downtown area. The river path has some nice spots but it is nothing to write home about.

There are all sorts of greenspaces near ACAD. The largest one would be Confederation park.

The cool neighborhoods are :
Kensington/Sunnyside - very overpriced housing but very cool
Lower Mt. Royal/17th Ave - more reasonable housing & very cool
Bridgeland -old Italian community, reasonable prices, nice but not trendy
Inglewood -old blue collar turned trendy, reasonable rents but you have to watch out for dodgy units
Stephen Ave - walking mall in the heart of downtown. Some very cool units in the old buildings but NO greenspaces
Northern Beltline (north of DT to 16th Ave N- very nice rental units in old houses but not trendy.
Southern Beltline (south of DT to 25th Ave S) overall the trendiest area but the eastern sections can be a little skanky.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 24 November 2003 02:49 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What is ACAD, and where is it?
Lima Bean
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3000

posted 24 November 2003 02:52 PM      Profile for Lima Bean   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Alberta College of Art and Design. I really don't know where in the city it is...I'm hoping it's not too secluded or remote.
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 24 November 2003 02:52 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's right next door to Jubilee Auditorium, and just across the C-train tracks from SAIT.

So it's not remote or secluded at all, Lima Bean, but only a fifteen-minute walk up the hill from Kensington, or one C-train stop.

Kensington is, of course, the best neighbourhood in the city. And fairly affordable -- lots of students seem to live here, including in our building, and including lots of art students.

For that matter, there's an art-supply store just a couple of blocks down 10th street.

Edited yet again:

SAIT and ACAD are in a pretty nice setting, atop a hill. Great views.

[ 24 November 2003: Message edited by: 'lance ]

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
DownTheRoad
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4523

posted 24 November 2003 02:53 PM      Profile for DownTheRoad     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The park system is heavily concentrated along the Bow and Elbow rivers and are all connected by bike paths. You can pedal a few minutes from downtown and feel like your're completely out of the city. Calgary's superb for getting around by bike. I don't know of any other city in N.A. that has as extensive a bikeway system.

This info may be dated, but check out some of the neighborhoods off Centre St. / Edm. Tr. north of downtown. Convenient location and when I lived in Calgary they were relatively undiscovered (i.e. still affordable).

From: land of cotton | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 24 November 2003 02:55 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Alberta College of Art & Design.

This is one of the premier design schools in Canada. It is located in the Northwest portion of the city on the trailing edge of the downtown escarpment.

flotsom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2832

posted 24 November 2003 02:57 PM      Profile for flotsom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn't know until very recently, but The Arctic Institute of North America is in Calgary.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/aina/

That's a definite plus for Calgary in my estimation.

[ 24 November 2003: Message edited by: flotsom ]

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 24 November 2003 03:02 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sunalta is another undiscovered place. West of 14th St between 10th Ave and 17th Ave SW to Bow Trail. I used to live there and the rents are great.
Lima Bean
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3000

posted 24 November 2003 03:49 PM      Profile for Lima Bean   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hopefully I'll get a chance to hang out a bit and look around the city before it becomes my home.

And really, all of this is still a little abstract and hypothetical at the moment...

I think I could get used to the idea, though.

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 24 November 2003 03:51 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Come on out. Lance & I can take you on the insiders tour.
Lima Bean
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3000

posted 24 November 2003 03:55 PM      Profile for Lima Bean   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll be in touch next time I'm on that side of the country!

I'll be home in Edmonton for Christmas, and may have occasion to spend some time in Red Deer, but I don't think Calgary's really on the itinerary.

It's possible, though, I guess. It would appear that anything's possible...

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 25 November 2003 01:29 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I forgot to mention what is probably my favorite area to live: Marda Loop (named after the old streetcar line).

Bowness is another cool area. Blue-collar and a little gritty, it has an undeserved reputation as rough when it is just a neat area. I am not sure how good the access is from there to ACAD but the rental prices are a lot lower there. No LRT.

Sine Ziegler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 225

posted 25 November 2003 01:43 PM      Profile for Sine Ziegler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I grew up in Calgary and lived here most of my life. It is the best place in the world to call home. I want to raise my kids here because it is the best big-little city in Canada. You get the best of both worlds.

If you want to avoid the urban sprawl, you can just live in any of the areas that HeywoodFlloyd suggested. I live across 17th ave from Sunalta in lower Mount Royal and I love it. I don't even remember what the suburbs look like because I don't have a car and I never go past SAIT which is where I take accounting courses. It's two train stops away from downtown and the same site as ACAD. I highly suggest you live downtown.

Chinooks are the biggest plus to Calgary. being close to the BC border is cool too - lots of beautiful parks shared by both sides of the border.

There is no PST here so shopping is relatively cheap, especially compared to QC and ON.

The summers aren't too hot. It's about 20 degrees every day and it is sunny ALL the time. Make sure you buy a pair of sunglasses.

There are no scary bugs in Calgary, and no racoons or anything furry cept cayotes and deer for those people who live in the burbs.

Tons of golf but you don't seem like a golfer.

What kinds of things do you like to do in a city Lime Bean?

White water rafting is available 45 mins away.

[ 25 November 2003: Message edited by: Sine Ziegler ]

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 25 November 2003 01:55 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you are a dog owner then you are in paradise. We have hundreds (I got this from the City site) of off leash parks and just as many unofficial parks (undeveloped residential areas, etc). There aren't too many places for the dogs to swim though. The reservior is off limits and most of the parks that are on the river are off limits to dogs.

The best feature though is NO DAMN FLEAS!

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 25 November 2003 02:00 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hee -- I would echo much of what Sine just said. I love the place for the same reason -- grew up there -- and it is true that you can invent your own culture there -- in fact, Big Ell, I feel you have a responsibility to do that! Calgary needs you!

I left many years ago but go back regularly now, and from what I can see there are a number of central areas now coming to interesting life on both sides of the river, Kensington on the north and several areas on all sides of Mount Royal on the south.

My favourite walking spot is Sandy Beach park, which is just below Glenmore Dam -- you get to Sandy Beach from Elbow Drive and Riverdale Ave, not by going up to the dam. It is one of those spots that is hard to believe, so close it is to the centre of the city, so surrounded by development, and yet still big and wild enough to feel like real country.

Heywood, when I was growing up, Bowness was a separate town altogether. What's next? Okotoks???

Lima Bean
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3000

posted 25 November 2003 03:12 PM      Profile for Lima Bean   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The more I contemplate it, the more friends I think of who are living there, and the more feasible and fun it sounds. I even have a roommate lined up (my favourite cousin) and she wants to share a house and get another kitten!! (for those of you who don't follow the cats threads, this is a big deal for me!)

It sounds like I might be able to find a way to enjoy it. Especially if I don't have a car, it seems. Sounds like that's the way to avoid the traffic and the suburbs...But tell me, can one get to the zoo without a car?

I really think I'll like to be back in the Alberta sunshine. I swear people who've grown up in Toronto have no idea what the winter sun even is...It's such a beautiful thing...

I wonder if my cousin would like to get a dog...

[ 25 November 2003: Message edited by: Lima Bean ]

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 25 November 2003 03:19 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Were Forest Lawn and Mindapore seperate towns too?

Okotoks? Yes, then Springbank, then Cochrane, then Airdrie. Last on the list will be Strathmore.

worker_drone
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4220

posted 25 November 2003 03:31 PM      Profile for worker_drone        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
But tell me, can one get to the zoo without a car?

Definitely. The Zoo is right outside of downtown, and right on the C-Train line (only two stops outside of downtown).

It's a pretty good zoo too.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 25 November 2003 04:40 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HeywoodFloyd:
Were Forest Lawn and Mindapore seperate towns too?

Okotoks? Yes, then Springbank, then Cochrane, then Airdrie. Last on the list will be Strathmore.

Midnapore (mind the sp, HF) yes. I have never heard of Forest Lawn (in Calgary).

Cochrane I could believe. But Airdrie? Strathmore??? Heywood, how long before you try for Drumheller?

As zoos go, the Calgary zoo is enlightened, certainly very beautiful (on St George's island in the Bow -- find a map, Big Ell). It has dinosaurs too.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 25 November 2003 04:43 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At the current rate, skdadl, I expect Calgary to be incorporating Red Deer and Lethbridge within a generation or so.

Of course, that won't happen. There'll be an oil bust sooner or later.

But I'll just trot out my favourite gripe about our local civic leadership here: the Mayor insists there's no longer any urban sprawl in Calgary.

Edited to add:

Here's an online map of Calgary. To get a sense of the present-day scale, look at the grid in the bottom left-hand corner of the page. Roll your cursor over any square to see a list of the "communities" listed therein.

[ 25 November 2003: Message edited by: 'lance ]

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 25 November 2003 04:45 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know, I know. Unintentional typo.

Forest Lawn was a seperate town east of the city in the 50's. It is now a part of the City. It is immediately to the east of Deerfoot trail with it's main access being 17th Ave/Blackfoot trail. Marlborough is immediately north.

Airdrie is moving south far quicker than I expected and have you seen how far north the city has grown. They are putting 80000 houses in North of Beddington/ Country Hills.

Sine Ziegler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 225

posted 25 November 2003 05:04 PM      Profile for Sine Ziegler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Now what about the bad things about Calgary? Politics aside? Even though I appreciate for once people talking about Calgary in a good light.

It is truly an isolated city. Edmonton is the closest thing which is a cool feature because you can have friends in Edmonton and visit them every weekend and they have the Fringe Fest and Whyte Ave and cool NDP youth.

But there are no American cities nearby for a quick escape/shopping. Vancouver and Regina are equally far away and they are half a day's drives.

The summers can be TOO cold. You have to have a real cold tolerance level to camp out in Bann National Park even in the middle of July cos it can snow. It can also snow in Calgary at ANY time of the year, I kid you not. I have seen snow in every month.

Spring is ultra short. There are no maple trees in Calgary so fall isn't as colourful as it is elsewhere in Canada.

It's not quite as multicultural as other cities, including having a lower Aboriginal population than the cities in SK and MB. But's not mayonnaise either.

If you want a job in the Oil industry, you are in luck. 70% of the towers in our extremely compact downtown are Oil and Gas related.

Min wage is $5,90 and not budging anytime soon but the upside is that it's easy to get a low paying job as a student.

There are hardly any old buildings to enjoy but you get used to it and appreciate the old stuff when you visit other parts of Canada like Winnipeg. Hehe.

There are lots of young people in Calgary.

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 25 November 2003 05:20 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have to disagree on the mayo comment. Calgary has a huge immigrant population. In fact, the only minority not represented in their usual levels are the natives. This despite a large reserve on the old CFB Calgary exercise areas.

Other bad things.

Winter is longer than you would expect.

The wind can suck the life out of you (for real. We just had a kid freeze to death while walking home).

In newer neighborhoods, the construction goes from 6:30am to 10:00 pm seven days a week with only a few days off per year. It can get a bit tedious listening to bulldozers, cement mixers, and nail guns all the time.

We lack decent lakes in the immediate district (within 30 minutes of the city). The exception is Ghost Lake and that is really a reservoir. In fact, most of the lakes within a few hours of the city are reservoirs.

While the arts are thriving, they are under-reported and under-rated.

Lima Bean
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3000

posted 25 November 2003 05:24 PM      Profile for Lima Bean   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
It is truly an isolated city. Edmonton is the closest thing which is a cool feature because you can have friends in Edmonton and visit them every weekend and they have the Fringe Fest and Whyte Ave and cool NDP youth.

But there are no American cities nearby for a quick escape/shopping. Vancouver and Regina are equally far away and they are half a day's drives.

Having Edmonton so close by is a huge deal for me. I'm from E-town, and almost all of my family and friends are there (except for the new ones here in TO! ), and it'll be great to be so much closer to home again.

I'm not concerned about it being isolated. I don't care if I ever set foot in an American city for shopping or anything else, and I think, after living in TO, I won't mind a bit of isolation!! And come to think of it, all my driving times are in relation to Edmonton, so having a couple of hours cut off the ride to my Granny's place, and to Vancouver will be a major bonus. Especially if I think about how long it would take me to drive from here!!

I am concerned about the homogeneity and the politics, with which I'm all too familiar. I'm also not thrilled about getting back to the land of oil and beef (bad karma, dirty money and all that jazz), but I'll be separated from it by at least a couple of degrees by virtue of being a fine arts student (or at least I hope so!).

It's so crazy to think that this might be for real. And sucks ass to think about leaving my BF here when I go.

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 25 November 2003 05:30 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If your BF is crazy enough to let you go then you don't need him. Bring him out.

quote:
I am concerned about the homogeneity ...

If you are really worried about that then move into the house down the block from me. The missus and I are two of only eight anglo-folk on the block. It is interesting being a minority. I rather like it.

Calgary secret for getting to Edmonton. Red Arrow motor coaches. Great prices. Super-comfortable coaches. Excellent schedules.

dee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 983

posted 25 November 2003 05:33 PM      Profile for dee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are three words that describe my love for Calgary.

Wicked. Wedge. Pizza.

It's on 17th Ave (and 5th or 6th street SW?) and nothing I've found in Toronto comes close.

I'm actually surprised that you see Calgary the way you seem to, LB. You are from Edmonton, correct? I grew up near Red Deer and most of us central Alberta types (at least the ones I knew) did not see that much difference between the two, with the exception that Edmonton is the capital. It always seemed to be pretty much a toss up as to which direction we travelled once we went away to school.

At any rate, I agree with a few other posters who suggested you check out Kensington area. If you are going to school at ACAD it will be close enough for you to walk or bike so you might save the extra rent money in transit costs.

From: pleasant, unemotional conversation aids digestion | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lima Bean
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3000

posted 25 November 2003 05:41 PM      Profile for Lima Bean   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thing is, growing up in Edmonton, there's a real 'thing' about Calgary. A sort of stigma or something. That old cliched rivalry, I guess, but it has coloured my view of the city all my life. And my few short-lived experiences of Calgary haven't been all that positive. I mostly just drive through it on my way into BC or to Lethbridge, and I've always thought it's a really ugly city. But then, all you see from the Deerfoot is industry and suburbs. I have no real idea at all what lies beyond the exit ramps.

I have a feeling, though, that if I could just shake off my preconceptions, it might be alright.

Sine Ziegler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 225

posted 25 November 2003 05:46 PM      Profile for Sine Ziegler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ahhh!! How can you leave your boyfriend?!?! I guess it depends on how serious it is. Lond distance is possible but is tremedously difficult. My boyfriend is an Engineer for Halliburton ( uughh) and he is out in Cold Lake, Lloyminster, Helmet BC, Grande Prairie... about 24 days of the month and it is a living hell. I miss him so much. He is quitting shortly ( not shortly enough ) to be back with me in the city, and because he hates the job and the industry.

Don't leave your boyfriend!!

Why did you chose ACAD?

Why did you EVER move to Toronto?

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 25 November 2003 05:48 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Required culinary expeditions

The above mentioned Wicked Wedge Pizza.
Chicago Chop House.
Sakana Grill.
The Catch.
Avenue Diner.
Ben Venuto.
The River Cafe.
La Brezza.

Don't waste your time on the big hotels. Their restaurants are overrated and overpriced.

Lima Bean
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3000

posted 25 November 2003 06:00 PM      Profile for Lima Bean   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Don't leave your boyfriend!!

Why did you chose ACAD?

Why did you EVER move to Toronto?

In reverse order:

I moved out here because I was pretty bored and disillusioned with Edmonton. Tired of earning oil money, tired of working shitty jobs, no idea what I'd rather be doing and just basically in a funk--and then I met the BF, and we had a long distance thing going for a while, and then I moved out here to live with him, and just be in a new place.

After being here for almost two years, and a couple of photography courses and a lot of positive feedback under my belt, I figured art school was the next best step so I went to OCAD's National Portfolio Day and when I showed my stuff to the ACAD guy, he was really impressed and said they wouldn't need to see my portfolio again and that I should make sure and register early to get the courses I want etc (all the other schools thought the photos were good, but that the portfolio was a lacking in variety and volume). Stunning to me, who fully expected to be rejected yet again, and have to keep on taking night courses etc.

So I didn't so much choose ACAD as had it fall in my lap. And now that it seems like such a sure thing, while everything else seems like half a chance, at best, I can't very well just not go because I'll miss my boyfriend....I have to go cuz I'll surely kick myself for the rest of my life if I don't and the other options don't work out.

And me and the BF are serious, but not marriage-serious, and not really quite sure where we're at together anyways. It's pretty tough right now, talking about what we'll do, and how we'll handle it. I really don't know what's going to happen. He's also from Alberta so it's possible that he would move back there too, but just not right away, cuz he's got to finish school and do his articling...So who knows.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 25 November 2003 06:15 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Vancouver and Regina are equally far away and they are half a day's drives.

Er... half a day's drive to Vancouver?

If the road were as straight as the Calgary-Edmonton drag, where a typical speed seems to be 125+ km/hr, maybe. Otherwise... remind me, Sine, not to be a passenger when you're driving?

quote:
I mostly just drive through it on my way into BC or to Lethbridge, and I've always thought it's a really ugly city. But then, all you see from the Deerfoot is industry and suburbs. I have no real idea at all what lies beyond the exit ramps.

Seen from the major highways, especially (shudder!) the TransCanada/16th Ave. North, Calgary is indeed ugly. But that's typical of most cities, I find.

Sine Ziegler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 225

posted 25 November 2003 06:29 PM      Profile for Sine Ziegler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Er... half a day's drive to Vancouver?

Yeah. 12 hours. There are 24 hours in a day silly!!

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 25 November 2003 06:34 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well silly I may be, but even I wouldn't drive all the way to Vancouver without bathroom and meal stops.

And to me 12 hours is a full day. But then I'm on a six-month countdown to fogiehood. Youngsters these days...

Loony Bin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4996

posted 03 March 2004 02:46 PM      Profile for Loony Bin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just thought I'd revive this old thread for an update. In case you hadn't already figured it out, Lizard Breath is Lima Bean is Lizard Breath, and I am really and truly gonna move to Calgary and go to art school. I got the official offer last week, and so now it's For Real. So far my plan is to stay here in Toronto until the early summer, with a departure date some time before the end of July. I'm pretty excited about the whole deal, and grow more enthusiastic with every piece of the puzzle that falls into place.

I talked to the cousin I'm gonna live with, and she's hoping to live in the neighborhood that's right close to SAIT, and right on the C-train line etc., so that's working out well so far. I'm really excited about living with a girl again, and we've always gotten along really well.

I might even get to stop in Calgary on my upcoming trip home. If anyone can suggest some things/neighborhoods/etc. (other than the ACAD-SAIT campus) that I should check out while I'm there, I'd be grateful for some suggestions.

From: solitary confinement | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 03 March 2004 03:00 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't bring your fire pit, or stereo, or plan to talk after 9pm.

I'm currently living outside of Calgary, and contemplating moving into the city, but I'm pretty sure the "we ARE going to tell you how to live dictators" are running the place.

From: In my Apartment!!!! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 03 March 2004 03:49 PM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why the new handle, LB?
From: At the Delta of the Alpha and the Omega | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 03 March 2004 03:56 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think she was trying to be Babbler No. 5000.
From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Loony Bin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4996

posted 03 March 2004 03:58 PM      Profile for Loony Bin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I got a new short haircut, lost my bank card and had to get a new PIN, and got into art school all in the same week, and just kinda felt like a new person.

Also, I was just getting kinda tired of Lima Bean.

I like to change things up fairly often, it seems.

Loony Bin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4996

posted 12 July 2004 09:45 PM      Profile for Loony Bin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
one last resuscitation of this thread, since now I'm actually in Calgary, and looking for some fun stuff to do.

We found a place just north of SAIT, but south of 20th ave. I can walk down to Kensington no sweat (well, maybe a little on a hot day), and there's a grocery and little shopping mall close by, and the A&A food store is just seconds from my door. I gather it's a well-known, well-loved little felafel shop. Tasty baklava, that's for sure.

So, anybody got any suggestions for me? I've already checked out 17th, and the zoo...

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 12 July 2004 09:46 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't have any suggestions, but I'm curious..."we"? Did the boy decide to come with you??
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 13 July 2004 12:34 AM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heywood: Not to diss your claims of multiculturalism, but I'm rather curious as to why so many Vietnamese Chinese and Filipinos would choose Calgary over say Toronto or Vancouver. I mean, the city is nowhere near the Pacific Rim and obviously isn't a seaport, so how did Mr. Klein's government convince so many people of so many different backgrounds to come to your city? Do federal programs provide incentives for new Canadians to settle in Cowtown?
From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 13 July 2004 12:38 AM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure what the lack of a seaport would have to do with it though, Throat. Nobody comes to Canada by sea anymore, not legally anyway.

[ 13 July 2004: Message edited by: 'lance ]

CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 13 July 2004 12:53 AM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oops! Sorry man. I must have taken an extra dose of silly pills this morning.
the rest of my question still stands though. What attracts new Canadians the majority of whom probably do not have experience in the oil patch to Calgary?

From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 13 July 2004 02:00 AM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Low taxes, small government (as compared to many nations from where our immigrants emigrate from), a solidly expanding economy which allows them to invest safely in new businesses, a police force with good community connections, and a diverse, safe city.
beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 13 July 2004 12:23 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WELCOME TO THE FLATLANDS, LIMA BEAN!!! I'd sing it off the mountain tops - well if there were any.

Are you going to the Stampede? Might I suggest trips to out of Calgary destinations. The badlands are fabulous just for their natural beauty, for example.

The question above. Why do people move here unconnected to the oil industry?? While my move was much more complex, than even worrying about employment -- the oil industry supports alot of businesses. Lots of money for folks to eat out, shop. Calgary is more than just oil, its about rampant commercialism too.

steam.machine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4916

posted 13 July 2004 06:37 PM      Profile for steam.machine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Welcome to cowtown LB...I was just reading this thread and it was interesting to see the thread develop from last November to now.

I am sure you have been over to the Stampede...lots to do around town this week with all the concerts, breakfasts and BBQ's going on.

If you're on the grounds, come stop by the CJAY Beer Gardens for a beer...I'll be there, look for a big burly guy with a nametag of "Bruce" and you will have found a host of the gardens!

Loony Bin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4996

posted 15 July 2004 04:11 PM      Profile for Loony Bin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, Michelle. 'We' is my cousin/roommate and I. The boy most definitely did not come with me.

But people have told me that Calgary is a good city to be a single gal in, since young men outnumber young women by a hefty margin. I've seen evidence of this, but have yet to find it working to my advantage...

beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 15 July 2004 04:29 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Its amazing the female to male ratio in southern Alberta. There is like 5 men for every woman. But I have serious reservations about the quality of the male stock.
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 15 July 2004 04:37 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ouch. I'm going to take my wranglers, boots, wife-beater shirt, and John Deer hat and go cry in a bottle of Pil.
beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 15 July 2004 04:40 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ouch. I'm going to take my wranglers, boots, wife-beater shirt, and John

I guess I should have said, "some". Or more specifically the confirmed bachelors who hang around the agriplex. It the guys.... oh the list is endless.

Screaming Lord Byron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4717

posted 15 July 2004 04:42 PM      Profile for Screaming Lord Byron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kuba:

I guess I should have said, "some". Or more specifically the confirmed bachelors who hang around the agriplex. It the guys.... oh the list is endless.

Do you hang out at the Argiplex? Is that the hot-spot in town?

beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 15 July 2004 05:00 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hot spot? Well I wouldn't go THAT far. But yes, I have been there to cover 4-H events. Nothing like a day wandering around taking pictures of young people and their cows. But no, I don't attend the events on a regular basis and if no one is paying me to do so.

Oh I almost forgot to pass on word of wisdom: Don't wear sandals to an agriplex. I made that mistake the first time, never again!!!

[ 15 July 2004: Message edited by: kuba ]

steam.machine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4916

posted 16 July 2004 07:15 AM      Profile for steam.machine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Its amazing the female to male ratio in southern Alberta. There is like 5 men for every woman. But I have serious reservations about the quality of the male stock.

Hehe and it shows in the attitude here...especially in the young girls.

Then there's the older women...that's a different story...*grin*

CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 16 July 2004 12:15 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Oh crumbs! Part of the reason I want to move to a larger center(apart from the fact that the job opportunities are thin on the ground in the B.C. interior) is because I wish to start dating. If women are in the minority in cow town then I'm in serious trouble. Woe is me.

beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 16 July 2004 12:27 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are FIVE men for every woman. You shouldn't have any problem.
BleedingHeart
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3292

posted 16 July 2004 06:55 PM      Profile for BleedingHeart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
There are FIVE men for every woman. You shouldn't have any problem.

No there are 5 members of the male gender for every woman.

From: Kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 16 July 2004 07:02 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I stand corrected.
Ranger03
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5302

posted 17 July 2004 04:26 PM      Profile for Ranger03        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'll be home in Edmonton for Christmas, and may have occasion to spend some time in Red Deer, but I don't think Calgary's really on the itinerary.

One of the best things about Calgary is:Its 280k from Edmonton

Loony Bin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4996

posted 17 July 2004 09:54 PM      Profile for Loony Bin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
anybody know of any open stages for poetry and spoken word around town? I've checked in the FFWD (our local weekly) and online but haven't turned anything up. I'm looking for the kind of thing that happens at a cafe or a bar, like once a week or once a month where people can just sign up to get up and read their stuff...Any ideas?
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 20 July 2004 09:46 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Chicago Chop House.
Sakana Grill.
The Catch.
Avenue Diner.
Ben Venuto.
The River Cafe.
La Brezza.

Heywood old son, are the above establishments ruinisly expensive?

Nam
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3472

posted 25 July 2004 03:49 AM      Profile for Nam     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CMOT Dibbler:

Heywood old son, are the above establishments ruinisly expensive?

Yes

From: Calgary-Land of corporate towers | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 25 July 2004 12:42 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Avenue Diner is normal and their desserts are unique and always new.

Ben Venuto is quite reasonable for lunch and dinner.

Sakana grill is the best japanese & sushi in the city, bar none. The prices are excellent.

I'll eat a little crow and admit that the others are a little pricy. However, they all have unique menus and excellent chefs. The only ones that will really break the bank for dinner are The Catch and the Chicago Chophouse.

La Brezza and The River Cafe aren't cheap but they aren't out of reach either. The River Cafe has been the training ground for some of the best restauranteurs and chefs in the city so there is always something to bring you back.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca