babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » from far and wide   » nfld, labrador, pei, ns, nb   » Bradshaw not running in next election - could the NDP take Moncton?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Bradshaw not running in next election - could the NDP take Moncton?
entish
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7235

posted 21 November 2005 08:57 AM      Profile for entish     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CBC: Bradshaw won't run in next election

quote:
Moncton MP and cabinet minister Claudette Bradshaw announced Thursday that she will not run in the next federal election.

We only got 12.5% there last time, but even provincially there wasn't much focus on the riding. A lot of potential NDP voters were also firmly behind Bradshaw and we've got a candidate who seems more enthusiastic this time.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but we might have a shot...

nbpolitico
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10671

posted 21 November 2005 09:43 PM      Profile for nbpolitico        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll give you a million bucks if the NDP wins Moncton. There seems to be right demographics there but the NDP just can't seem to get traction. Even Jean-Marie Nadeau who campaigned in Moncton East hard and effectively for over a year and got the student vote out in 2003 couldn't make a mark and ran a distant third to Lord and Chris Collins in the most left-of-centre riding in the region. If not for Nadeau's strong candidacy folks say Collins would have picked Lord off.
ghoris
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4152

posted 22 November 2005 06:15 AM      Profile for ghoris     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My immediate thought when I saw Bradshaw stepping down was 'they're clearing the decks for Frank McKenna'. Any word on whether our esteemed US Ambassador will be seeking this seat?
patrickwebber
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3284

posted 22 November 2005 01:25 PM      Profile for patrickwebber     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ghoris:
My immediate thought when I saw Bradshaw stepping down was 'they're clearing the decks for Frank McKenna'. Any word on whether our esteemed US Ambassador will be seeking this seat?

I had the same thoughts. There is no word that McKenna will run in Moncton in 2006, but this is regarded as the riding he most likely would, under the assumption that the one NDP seat and two Tory seats in NB are locks for their respective parties and this is the only Liberal seat where the incumbent isn't running again.

From: Victoria, B.C. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amigo
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11058

posted 22 November 2005 01:28 PM      Profile for Amigo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whether Frank will run is a good question. Last election, Bradshaw lost her cabinet post because she wouldn't step aside for Frank, and incurred the ire of the Martin folk. Too bad: she was one of the best as Labour Minister. Funny, I can't even think of who it is now. By the way, was that the Chris Collins (who ran against Lord) who was a perennial NDP candidate? I don't think Moncton is winnable for the NDP, not by a long shot. But you know, we got almost 30 percent of the vote last time with Rodolphe Martin in Madawaska - Restigouche. We are traditionally strong on the north shore. If I were one of the decision-makers in the NDP, and believe me I am not, I would put some money and organization into that riding. And a lot of Yvon Godin. Might just get a surprise. It would certainly be a good investment, federally and provincially.
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 22 November 2005 03:49 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amigo:
Last election, Bradshaw lost her cabinet post because she wouldn't step aside for Frank, and incurred the ire of the Martin folk. Too bad: she was one of the best as Labour Minister. Funny, I can't even think of who it is now.

First, she didn't lose seat in her cabinet. She's still the Minister of State for Human Resources Development, a post which apparently involves taking a vow to never again speak in Parliament.

I'm at a loss to think of even one positive thing that she did as Labour Minister (a post that is held by Joe Fontana now, BTW). But, she was most certainly a bust as Minister Responsible for Homelessness, merely reannouncing the same limited dollars over and over again.

From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
miles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7209

posted 22 November 2005 03:51 PM      Profile for miles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Piatkowski:

t, she was most certainly a bust as Minister Responsible for Homelessness, merely reannouncing the same limited dollars over and over again.

Scott that is not fair. She did a good job reading the same script over and over and over again. The last time I almost thought she would do what she was announcing.

A couple of more times and she will have it. Remember practice makes perfect

nbpolitico
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10671

posted 22 November 2005 07:51 PM      Profile for nbpolitico        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Brian Murphy, the former mayor of Moncton has been courting the seat for some time.

In terms of McKenna, what happened there is widely misunderstood. McKenna did not want to run in the last election but the Martin folk were after him hard to run so he created an out for himself saying he would only run in Moncton knowing full well -- and I understand having spoken to Claudette about it -- that she wouldn't be stepping aside.

Frank McKenna has no interest in being any minister but the Prime Minister.

scorned
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9867

posted 30 November 2005 07:31 PM      Profile for scorned     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Although it should be, this riding is not in play.

The riding has always lacked strong NDP candidates, perhaps the strongest in recent history, Tom Barron, did well but not good enough.

There is zero presence here provincially, and virtually nothing on the ground, unlike Fredericton.

The party's only chance in NB ridings is to have a star candidate who brings the campaign with them.

scorned
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9867

posted 01 December 2005 04:44 PM      Profile for scorned     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The NDP already has their signs up in Moncton. This is nice to see, as the other two parties are usually the earliest.

However, I wish whoever designs these signs would make the party banner larger, it's as if they're trying to keep the NDP part a secret. Should have taken a page from the NS NDP, they've consistently had very bright, readable signs.

Socialest
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9007

posted 04 December 2005 03:57 PM      Profile for Socialest   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NDP Candidate David Hackett is out of the blocks looks as though he will be a formidable opponent in this race. He has the best sign coverage of any candidate and he's Canvassing like Mad. A the very least he will double the vote in the riding.
NBFORLIFE
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11022

posted 04 December 2005 05:52 PM      Profile for NBFORLIFE     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dear people on this thread:

The NDP is not taking Moncton. It's that simple.

-Chris

Hunky_Monkey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6081

posted 04 December 2005 07:17 PM      Profile for Hunky_Monkey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What are Rodolphe Martin's chances in Madawaska-Restigcouche?
scorned
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9867

posted 05 December 2005 08:37 PM      Profile for scorned     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can't see Rodolphe taking the seat, even though he did very well last time. I understand that there isn't much to work with in that part of the province, and that any vote that Rodolphe gets should be attributed to his popularity and the party message getting out, coupled with presumably weak opponents. In order to have any chance in Madawaska ,there would have to be nothing short of a groundswell for the party, a very large one.

[ 05 December 2005: Message edited by: scorned ]

[ 05 December 2005: Message edited by: scorned ]

scorned
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9867

posted 05 December 2005 08:43 PM      Profile for scorned     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the NDP could take 20% in Moncton. This will not come because of vote pulling or anything like that, but simply because the candidate is working hard, and that the NDP vote will increase across the country this time. In Moncton, some Bradshaw voters will come over, but surely not nearly enough to take the riding.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca