babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » from far and wide   » nfld, labrador, pei, ns, nb   » Federal NDP candidates in NB

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Federal NDP candidates in NB
patrickwebber
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3284

posted 13 November 2005 01:20 PM      Profile for patrickwebber     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am very encouraged by the fact that there are already 7 NDP candidates nominated in New Brunswick (out of 10 seats). This is a huge improvement over 2004, when only 2 were nominated when the writ was dropped.

That being said, have any names come forward for the other 3 ridings? I think Charles Fournier should take a crack at NB Southwest or Saint John, but that's just my humble opinion.

Thoughts?

From: Victoria, B.C. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
NBFORLIFE
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11022

posted 22 November 2005 05:03 PM      Profile for NBFORLIFE     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I used to be big into the NDP. Didn't Chuck leave the party over something?
What about that tall hippy guy who used to do NBSA - I think his name was Phil. Wasn't he big NDP? Isn't he from NB SW?

I like Chuck (only met him once a few years ago) but if he thinks he can do it he should go for it.

-Christian

TweakedEnigma
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10847

posted 22 November 2005 05:17 PM      Profile for TweakedEnigma   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is a good sign and I hope to see more than 1 seat this time around.
From: Fredericton, NB | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Vansterdam Kid
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5474

posted 22 November 2005 06:04 PM      Profile for Vansterdam Kid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Are the average NB NDP members more active federally then provincially? Because it seems like the two "wings" of the party are going in seperate directions judging by some of the comments regarding Elizabeth Wiers departure.
NBFORLIFE
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11022

posted 24 November 2005 07:45 PM      Profile for NBFORLIFE     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My impression of the provincial NDP is that while they have good intentions they are held back by a lack of administrative capability, finances and to be honest what I perceive as an ideological agenda that operates in isolation from the actual concerns of New Brunswickers.
While I think I tend to agree with the NDP statements on abortion and homosexual rights the reality is that a candidate in NB mustbe savvy enough to de-emphasize those particular issues and force the social agenda that people want ie: EI reform, decentraliztion of the provincial government, job creation, poverty, dealing with the barriers to education (especially in the north), and addressing health care.
There is a place forthe NDP in New Brunswick but it will come from being responsive to one of the worst literacy rates, worst obesity rates, worst rates of poverty in the country. The federal NDP seem to understand that while the provincial ones do not.
NB is one of those places where "progressive conservartive" does not seem like an oxymoron to the people - indeed small government with a progressive agenda is what will win NB for the NDP.
Of course this will involve compromise - but the NDP's only ticket to victory in NB is to forget about the moral victory and focus on bringing their ideas to fruition by focusing on issues that people actually care about. This is a traditional province and people care about family, good work and solid education and health care platform. That's not to say that abortion and gay rights are bad - it's just that they won't put you in office in NB if you have those issues as the driving force behind your policy.
The federal NDP is savvy that way while the provincial NDP is not. They need to surrender their ideological agendas and start honestly listening to the people who want real change.
The provincial Liberals (who are certainly left of the federal Liberals) have taken the lead with the defintion of economic unit, the fight for affordable education and seeing to it that this is a provine in which the economy serves the people and not the other way around.
This should be the rightful place of the NDP and they need to take steps to ensure that they take it.
In 2005 a moral victory is simply not good enough......

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca