babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » from far and wide   » nfld, labrador, pei, ns, nb   » From the fringe...

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: From the fringe...
dwday
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10862

posted 08 November 2005 09:46 AM      Profile for dwday     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
While I was walking home from work yesterday, I was approached by a candidate in the Saint John Harbour byelection.

This gentleman is the leader of the 'New Brunswick (Tory) Party' (sic) and bills himself as 'a hereditary European nobleman of substantial means'. He's a practicing engineer, involved in 'all human endevour'. He wasn't interested in my vote, which is a good thing - I work in Saint John Harbour but I don't live there. No, he wanted to hire me to work on his campaign. One dollar per minute as a lowly worker, five dollars per minute as a 'campaign executive'.

His literature says he's hiring 10,000 workers - if he gets even a quarter of that & they all vote for him, that will put him in the legislature - sound strategy, but I'm just a tad skeptical. Even a European noble of substantial means might choke a little on campaign expenses of 10K per minute.

Interesting platform, too - he promises to end personal property & income tax, and to 'end Irving slavery' - which might be challenging, since the Irving family is far and away the biggest employer in Saint John.

The kicker was on the flip side of his handout - he also has his own church. 'The Church of the Intellect' encompasses ALL major religions, and new members are permitted - no, encouraged - to maintain their affiliation with their present religion.

What a great country.

From: Saint John, NB | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
swirrlygrrl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2170

posted 08 November 2005 10:31 AM      Profile for swirrlygrrl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sooooo....did he offer you any kool-aid? Ask you to wear a dark blue jogging suit? Audition you for your tambourine skills? I'm just curious.

Also curious about spending limits for by-election campaigns in New Brunswick. And if people are really so dumb as to vote for someone simply due to payment for other "services." And if this guy actually got enough signatures to run (I'm going to guess his name does not appear on the ballot come E-day).

From: the bushes outside your house | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
dwday
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10862

posted 08 November 2005 10:54 AM      Profile for dwday     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No kool-aid, not even a tinfoil hat.

When he found out I work as a computer geek, though, he tried to give me a CD so I could debug 'the greatest operating system ever invented, one that will never crash'. Seems it does crash every 30 seconds, but only because Microsoft sabotaged it.

I suspect you're right about his name not appearing on the ballot. Four candidates (the usual suspects plus one independant) have filed papers, and he's not one of them.

[ 08 November 2005: Message edited by: dwday ]

From: Saint John, NB | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 08 November 2005 10:59 AM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's good that he's not really on the ballot because every ballot spoiling KooK like him that runs only takes votes away from the Greens.

Speaking of which, we have a perennial mayoral candidate here in Toronto who likes to advertise himself by yanking up a big hank of grass, forming it into a ball, then using it like smeary green chalk to write his name on the sidewalk. Go democracy!

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
nbpolitico
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10671

posted 08 November 2005 11:57 AM      Profile for nbpolitico        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by swirrlygrrl:
Also curious about spending limits for by-election campaigns in New Brunswick. And if people are really so dumb as to vote for someone simply due to payment for other "services." And if this guy actually got enough signatures to run (I'm going to guess his name does not appear on the ballot come E-day).

Spending limits are based on the number of enumerated voters. It worked out to approximately $20,000 per candidate for this by-election.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca