babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » from far and wide   » nfld, labrador, pei, ns, nb   » Lets talk about Cape Breton, and how to get rid of all these Liberals

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Lets talk about Cape Breton, and how to get rid of all these Liberals
El Presidente
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9463

posted 13 October 2005 03:46 PM      Profile for El Presidente     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As a Cape Bretoner, which is seemingly a minority on rabble, and not a Liberal, which is seemingly a minority on Cape Breton, I thought it would be good to have a discussion about politics in Cape Breton, and specifically, why Liberals are so rampant here. I am of the firm belief that before we are able to advance as an Island, beyond our ongoing dependence upon government, we must cut our addiction to Liberals, who feed on this mentality.

Here's hoping Cape Bretoner's will start giving the boot to our Liberals, and start embracing NDPers and even Tories for that matter.

What do you think?

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 13 October 2005 03:55 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On the federal level, there is a myth among Cape Bretoners (at least those I know) that Liberals are very effective at bringing pork to the Island. I'm not joking...some of my friends and their families have voted Liberal because some nearby road got paved in the last 10 years, or because so-and-so got a job with such-and-such company, thanks to a kind word (if you will) from a prominent Liberal.

I don't know that the myth holds on the provincial level.

So, I guess one avenue of attack is to destroy the "good pork" myth.

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 13 October 2005 04:04 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You'd think with the NS Liberals out of government for a while and for what appears to be along time to come, the "good pork" BS might be subsiding. I suspect there might also be a belief that somehow the Liberals defend Cape Breton "interests" even while in opposition.
StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 13 October 2005 05:23 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think among the Cape Bretoners who I know or have known, there are about 30 who are Liberals, and 5 who have moved to the NDP since discovering ideas in college.

But the Liberals who remain Liberals, and will continue to vote Liberal, do so because it is their party. They feel they own it, they feel it's home, part of their roots. Who wants to be the orange sheep in the family?

From: the right coast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aric H
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5815

posted 30 October 2005 02:26 PM      Profile for Aric H     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wasn't this the riding of the now infamous David Dingwall? I think he was defeated in 1997 by Michelle Dockrill when Alexa's NDP surged in the Maritimes. Dockrill lost the seat in 2000 I believe. Has she considered returning?
Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 30 October 2005 07:56 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aric H:
Wasn't this the riding of the now infamous David Dingwall? I think he was defeated in 1997 by Michelle Dockrill when Alexa's NDP surged in the Maritimes. Dockrill lost the seat in 2000 I believe. Has she considered returning?

Everything I heard about her indicated she was not a terribly effective MP and I've never heard of her since her defeat in 2000.

Besides, believe it or not, there have been a couple of local TV news stories featuring person-on-the-streeting CBers pining for the days when (myth or not) Dingwall shovelled the pork into the riding. No doubt many CBers despise Dingwall, but in both cases (two different stations) the reporters didn't go out of their way to find them.

Whether it was biased reporting or not, the results from the election -- and we ran a decent candidate against a nobody Liberal MP -- indicate we should not bother with CB Canso for a long time to come.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca