babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » from far and wide   » nfld, labrador, pei, ns, nb   » Who Will Be The Next NS Premier?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Who Will Be The Next NS Premier?
StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 29 September 2005 05:31 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Bill Black?
Ernie Fage?
Neil LeBlanc?
Pete Luckett?

edited to keep with the times.

[ 27 October 2005: Message edited by: StockwellDay ]

From: the right coast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 29 September 2005 05:38 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Darrell Dexter.

Nice user name

From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 29 September 2005 05:49 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Piatkowski:
Darrell Dexter.

Nice user name

I don't think you've thought your answer through, but thanks for rolling your eyes.

Unless Darrell Dexter is going to run as leader of the Conservative Party then he will have to wait until after the next election to be Premier.

I thought it might be a good idea for the left to consider who they'll be up against in the next election.

obscurantist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8238

posted 29 September 2005 06:00 PM      Profile for obscurantist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Nice user name

I seem to remember that Mr. Day is the author of the blog Free Dominion Watch Watch Clock Sundial Egg-Timer, or something like that. Is that still going on, Stocky?

From: an unweeded garden | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 29 September 2005 06:15 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by obscurantist:

I seem to remember that Mr. Day is the author of the blog Free Dominion Watch Watch Watch. Is that still going on, Stocky?

Research is hard. I got tired. It was funny for 5 minutes though.

[ 29 September 2005: Message edited by: StockwellDay ]

Vansterdam Kid
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5474

posted 29 September 2005 06:23 PM      Profile for Vansterdam Kid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah it probably is tiresome to keep an eye on that place.
StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 29 September 2005 06:25 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vansterdam Kid:
Yeah it probably is tiresome to keep an eye on that place.

O, I didn't do Free Dominion Watch. That was a Tory, I think.

But I was one of four people who did Free Dominion Watch Watch Watch.

obscurantist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8238

posted 29 September 2005 06:26 PM      Profile for obscurantist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
No, I think SD was watching the watchers, or watching the watchers watch the watchers, while occasionally darting a nervous glance at his watch. I didn't understand FD WWW, but it was pretty cool.

[ 29 September 2005: Message edited by: obscurantist ]

StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 29 September 2005 06:27 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
But really, enough about me.
Who will your competition be in the next NS Election?
I am hoping for Jane Purves to run and win.

Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 29 September 2005 06:31 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Jane Purves?

NS is not ready for an ex-junkie as Premier.

StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 29 September 2005 06:35 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Poor Jane. She has made some mistakes.
Krago
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3064

posted 29 September 2005 06:39 PM      Profile for Krago     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Privateer:
Jane Purves?

NS is not ready for an ex-junkie as Premier.

But Quebec seems to be...

From: The Royal City | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 29 September 2005 06:41 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krago:

But Quebec seems to be...

Good point. Though he hasn't neglected any parental responsibilities as a result.

StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 29 September 2005 06:47 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, I think Jane would be a good choice for the Tories.

I think it would allow the governing party to show they like the idea of equality.

And there's that nice restaurant off the north end of Halifax called 'Jane's On The Common'. People like that place. Maybe she could run in Halifax-Needham.

Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 29 September 2005 06:50 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ummm, Janes on the Commons is owned and run by a prominent NDPer and Purves would get her arse handed to her in Needham.
StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 29 September 2005 06:54 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Ummm, Janes on the Commons is owned and run by a prominent NDPer and Purves would get her arse handed to her in Needham.

Yeah, I know.

But I would like to see it.

obscurantist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8238

posted 29 September 2005 07:00 PM      Profile for obscurantist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
There was some discussion on another thread back in July / August about the rumour of Peter Mackay leaving federal politics to succeed John Hamm. Has anyone heard much about that possibility? Would Mackay see it as a preferable alternative to sticking it out in the federal Tories? (I can see why he might.) Would Nova Scotia Tories welcome him enthusiastically, or would he face some opposition?
Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 29 September 2005 07:06 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think Bill Black has been tapped on the shoulder to be the next PC leader, so MacKay would have at least one opponent.
StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 29 September 2005 07:08 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Bill Black might step aside for MacKay. Conservatives think Peter is handsome and honest. I don't know if MacKay wants the job.
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 29 September 2005 07:10 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I can't possibly imagine Peter MacKay wanting to be the premier of Nova Scotia. He wants to be Prime Minister. He is biding his time. When Stephen Harper goes down, Peter -- even with all his baggage -- would be the most likely successor. He's been working hard on it.
From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 29 September 2005 07:11 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
On Mike Duffy's new show, tonight, a) a NS reporter said half of the Hamm cabinet is maneuvering to replace him; and, b) Peter McKay was asked straight out by the Duffster if he will run for Premier, and McKay said he has a lot of work to do in Ottawa. McKay didn't close the door completely on the idea.
From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 29 September 2005 07:18 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, if half the cabinet is thinking of running then my new Premier could be:

Ernie Fage
Jamie Muir
Peter Christie
Angus MacIsaac
Cecil Clarke

Anyone else who might consider it?

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 29 September 2005 07:18 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
On Mike Duffy's show tonight, *Harper* himself was interviewed and said that he has the confidence of his party and the support of Peter McKay, and they want all an election soon. However, Harper added that "...he wishes McKay great success at whatever Peter decides to do in the future". Hmmmmmm.........

Thread drift: Later in the broadcast, the topic turned to David Dingwall, and, wrt TPC, the reporter interviewed by Duffy said the revelations with TPC so far are just the tip of a very large iceberg, everyone's filing access-to-information petitions to examine the files, and that it will take a good three weeks before the extent of wrong-doings wrt TPC are fully uncovered. It could be a gold mine for the Conservatives, on top of Gomery.

Just reporting what I heard.

[ 29 September 2005: Message edited by: Boom Boom ]

From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
realism
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9471

posted 29 September 2005 07:45 PM      Profile for realism     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by obscurantist:
There was some discussion on another thread back in July / August about the rumour of Peter Mackay leaving federal politics to succeed John Hamm. Has anyone heard much about that possibility? Would Mackay see it as a preferable alternative to sticking it out in the federal Tories? (I can see why he might.) Would Nova Scotia Tories welcome him enthusiastically, or would he face some opposition?

I think a few NS Tories had enough of Pictou County Premiers- I couldn't support anyone else from Pictou County. The Pictou County Mafia has had their share of plums, jobs, and a different array of appointments in the last 6 years. Not necessarily high profile, but still sucking the public teat.

Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 29 September 2005 08:20 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by StockwellDay:
Well, if half the cabinet is thinking of running then my new Premier could be:

Ernie Fage
Jamie Muir
Peter Christie
Angus MacIsaac
Cecil Clarke

Anyone else who might consider it?

Christie seems too old. Muir has no charisma. Fage has no public profile despite his prominent roles (same goes for MacIsaac). Clarke is an interesting one; with him the Tories might wipe out the Liberals in their last bastion, Cape Breton.

StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 29 September 2005 08:52 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Muir has ego and ambition.
But so does David Morse.

It would be interesting to see if Clarke goes for it. Poor Francis MacKenzie. He's trying so hard. Losing Cape Breton might kill him.

Cornflakegirl
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10517

posted 29 September 2005 09:01 PM      Profile for Cornflakegirl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If Mackay wants it, it's his to take.

It would be a way to develop his skills in a position of leadership that also happens to be a position of power.

Watch for him to replace Harper and continue the Conservatives reign in power which should last about the next 20 years.

Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 29 September 2005 09:02 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cornflakegirl:

Watch for him to replace Harper and continue the Conservatives reign in power which should last about the next 20 years.

I'm trying to decide if you're more corn or more flake.

Cornflakegirl
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10517

posted 29 September 2005 09:14 PM      Profile for Cornflakegirl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Another advantage to Mackay in leaving for NS is to remove himself from the presence of Ms. Stronach.
StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 29 September 2005 09:15 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
If Mackay wants it, it's his to take.

It would be a way to develop his skills in a position of leadership that also happens to be a position of power.

Tory Amos,

Do you think MacKay would want the job? I think he'd lose his spot on the Federal Leadership Ladder to Bernard Bilingual Lord.

The Conservative reign in power might start in 20 years, but I don't think it could ever last 20 years.

Cornflakegirl
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10517

posted 29 September 2005 09:25 PM      Profile for Cornflakegirl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Just the opposite. It will allow him to get valuable experience.

One thing nobody can take away from MacKay is the key role he played in bringing the two parties together.

Bernard can never have that.

After Harper has had his 10 years at the healm, then Mackay will have the right experience, and the historical significance, to be the man to replace Harper and carry Canada by way of the vehicle of the Conservative party forward.

I'm lovin' it.

StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 29 September 2005 09:32 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Just the opposite. It will allow him to get valuable experience.

One thing nobody can take away from MacKay is the key role he played in bringing the two parties together.

Bernard can never have that.

After Harper has had his 10 years at the healm, then Mackay will have the right experience, and the historical significance, to be the man to replace Harper and carry Canada by way of the vehicle of the Conservative party forward.

I'm lovin' it.

I guess I'm not sure why you're loving it.

I agree with you that no one can ever take away the part he played in 'uniting' the right. He lied to David Orchard at the convention in order to get into that position of power, and pushed a lot of red tories out of politics altogether (or worse, into the Liberals big tent).

StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 29 September 2005 09:37 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Here's a race that would be very entertaining:

Bill Black
Jane Purves
Cecil Clarke
Brooke Taylor

Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 29 September 2005 09:41 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Some red tories even fled to the greens.
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 29 September 2005 10:02 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
quote:

I'm lovin' it.

Almost as much as that crack you're smoking, I wager.

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 29 September 2005 10:22 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Some red tories even fled to the greens.

Really?

Who?

Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 29 September 2005 10:34 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Really?

Who?

Well, we can start with their federal leader. I've come across some creatures in other on-line forums.

StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 29 September 2005 10:53 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Well, we can start with their federal leader. I've come across some creatures in other on-line forums.

I guess I never really considered their leader to be red.

Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 29 September 2005 11:28 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I don't think you've thought your answer through, but thanks for rolling your eyes.

Unless Darrell Dexter is going to run as leader of the Conservative Party then he will have to wait until after the next election to be Premier.

I thought it might be a good idea for the left to consider who they'll be up against in the next election.

If you include Dan Miller and Rita Johnson on your list of B.C. Premiers, then I suppose whomever the Tories choose to be the next hiccup in history would count.

But, the next real Premier of Nova Scotia will be Darrell Dexter.

From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 30 September 2005 01:28 AM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

If you include Dan Miller and Rita Johnson on your list of B.C. Premiers, then I suppose whomever the Tories choose to be the next hiccup in history would count.

But, the next real Premier of Nova Scotia will be Darrell Dexter.

Hmmm

I still think you're missing the point of this thread. Thanks for your participation, though.

Vansterdam Kid
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5474

posted 30 September 2005 01:43 AM      Profile for Vansterdam Kid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What about Gerald Keddy? I'm just throwing that name out there, since I have no information to back it up, ie: it's pure speculation. But he's a moderate in a rather un-moderate party. He'd probably fit in better with the Nova Scotia PC's then he would the federal Conservatives.
kingblake
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3453

posted 30 September 2005 01:55 AM      Profile for kingblake     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
There's also Scott Brison, but I hear he's aiming higher.
From: In Regina, the land of Exotica | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 30 September 2005 02:00 AM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by kingblake:
There's also Scott Brison, but I hear he's aiming higher.

You were joking, right?

Scott might be able to save the provincial liberals.

StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 30 September 2005 12:15 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
According to the Daily News, we've forgotten to consider HRM Mayor Peter Kelly. He's well liked in Metro, and would hurt the NDP as much as Clarke willing would hurt the Liberals. I'd like to think he'd stay on as Mayor.
Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 30 September 2005 12:34 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
According to the Daily News, we've forgotten to consider HRM Mayor Peter Kelly. He's well liked in Metro, and would hurt the NDP as much as Clarke willing would hurt the Liberals. I'd like to think he'd stay on as Mayor.

I disagree because the Liberals are in a much more weakened state than the NDP and though Kelly is respected in HRM, people are hardly crazy about him. He'd do damage, probably taking 2 or 3 NDP seats, but at the same time will hurt the PCs outside of HRM.

StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 30 September 2005 01:15 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

I disagree because the Liberals are in a much more weakened state than the NDP and though Kelly is respected in HRM, people are hardly crazy about him. He'd do damage, probably taking 2 or 3 NDP seats, but at the same time will hurt the PCs outside of HRM.

But two or three NDP seats, with the Liberals in disarray, makes a strong Conservative majority, yes?

I suppose another interesting question might be: How Can Francis MacKenzie avoid giving the Conservatives a majority? I don't know what he's up to, but hopefully the media's got him wrong.

I think the NDP are doing very well. They need stronger candidates to step up, particularly in Clayton Park and other outer HRM areas that have been neglected.

[ 30 September 2005: Message edited by: StockwellDay ]

Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 30 September 2005 01:18 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

But two or three NDP seats, with the Liberals in disarray, makes a stong Conservative majority, yes?

Quite likely, if small-town and rural NS can stomach a hardcore Haligonian like Kelly. The NDP would be smart to exploit this.

StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 30 September 2005 01:22 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I still hold out hope for Brooke Taylor making a run.
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 30 September 2005 06:02 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Bruce MacKinnon's Editorial Cartoon from The Herald

Brilliant

[ 30 September 2005: Message edited by: Sharon ]

El Presidente
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9463

posted 03 October 2005 04:06 PM      Profile for El Presidente     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Would be interesting to see Cecil Clarke go for it, as a Cape Bretoner myself. He'd definetly do damage to the Liberal Mafia down here, and that would be a good thing. The only thing worse than the Tories down here are the Liberals....the Liberals make the Tories look like a bunch of saints.

I think that Cecil's biggest problem with winning the leadership of the party will be his "lifestyle". Not that I have a problem with it, far from it. But most Tories would. Maybe they don't know yet. I'm sure they will.

It will be a challenge, for whoever wins the PC leadership, to do as well as Hamm did. I think the opportunity for the NDP to take government, and win seats in all areas of this province, is now. If Cape Bretoners smell the defeat of the PC's in the air, and considering the Liberals are mired in third place (with their popularity down here falling also, much ado to stupid MP's, Crazyhorse, trophers like Porker, and former MP and current criminal David Dingwall), many Cape Bretoners, who definetly want a new government, may plug their noses and vote NDP this time.

Crazier things have happened.

Wilf Day
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3276

posted 03 October 2005 04:27 PM      Profile for Wilf Day     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sharon:
I can't possibly imagine Peter MacKay wanting to be the premier of Nova Scotia. He wants to be Prime Minister.

What's to stop him being both, in that order?

Nothing but Darrell Dexter. If MacKay doesn't take the premiership, isn't he admitting he would have a real risk of losing the provincial election that he would want to call right after the provincial leadership convention?

Not that I have any disrespect for Peter MacKay. One of the better Conservatives. But why else would he decline a chance for a step that would give people something newer to talk about than the Orchard double-cross?

Or is there a real risk that he wouldn't win the provincial leadership?

From: Port Hope, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 03 October 2005 04:41 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wilf Day:
What's to stop him being both, in that order?

The track record of politicians making the leap from provincial premier to PM.

Most pundits seem to believe that if he jumps to provincial politics he can kiss his chances at ever being PM goodbye.

Of course he may realize his chances of being PM aren't that good if he stays in Ottawa either. Stanfield, Clark, Mulroney, Campbell, Charest, Clark again. Only two of the six ever managed to be elected PM, and Clark did it with less popular vote than the Liberals. On the other hand, Pearson, Trudeau, Turner, Chretien, Martin - only Turner never managed to be elected.

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
realism
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9471

posted 03 October 2005 06:06 PM      Profile for realism     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Presidente:

I think that Cecil's biggest problem with winning the leadership of the party will be his "lifestyle". Not that I have a problem with it, far from it. But most Tories would. Maybe they don't know yet. I'm sure they will.

Time to come in to the 21st century. If you didn't have a problem with it why bring it up. Cecil has my vote. Regardless of "lifestyle". Give it up.

Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 03 October 2005 06:40 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Not that I have any disrespect for Peter MacKay. One of the better Conservatives. But why else would he decline a chance for a step that would give people something newer to talk about than the Orchard double-cross?

Or is there a real risk that he wouldn't win the provincial leadership?

Wilf, I have no idea if he would win the leadership or not. I find that with the one-member-one-vote system, it's hard to predict.

I do find that he doesn't seem to me to be the "real" person that he portrays. (I have a friend who speaks of people who have been in Ottawa too long as being "dipped" -- just covered with this veneer and coming across as a pretend-person.) I don't know whether his current personality would be a winner in Nova Scotia -- either for the leadership or in an election.

It seems to me that there would be a real risk -- if he comes back to Nova Scotia and loses the leadership, or wins the leadership and loses the election -- that his ambition to be prime minister might be shattered. I think he'd be taking quite a chance.

As for being "one of the better Conservatives" -- I can't get over his support for capital punishment.

Bur he knows I won't be voting for him anyway.

El Presidente
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9463

posted 04 October 2005 05:57 PM      Profile for El Presidente     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by realism:
Time to come in to the 21st century. If you didn't have a problem with it why bring it up. Cecil has my vote. Regardless of "lifestyle". Give it up.

Hey Realism, give me a break here. Can we not have a discussion about the realities of all the prospective candidates for the PC Leadership?

Go ahead and vote for him....guess you're a "progressive" conservative, are you? There's an oxymoron.

I'm quite happy with the 21st century so far...get real, and get a life.

StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 04 October 2005 09:17 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What's the issue with Cecil's lifestyle? Does he go boating and drinking? Because that's dangerous. I go boating and drinking occasionally myself, but I never intend on running for office.
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 05 October 2005 09:08 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I have absolutely no reason to post in this thread. None at all. No sirree.

Did someone say something about thread title juxtapositions?

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Krago
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3064

posted 05 October 2005 09:58 AM      Profile for Krago     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Presidente:
... with their popularity down here falling also, much ado to stupid MP's, Crazyhorse, trophers like Porker, ...

I haven't got a fuckin' clue what you're talking about.

From: The Royal City | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 05 October 2005 04:58 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krago:

I haven't got a fuckin' clue what you're talking about.

Well, 'trophers like Porker' is a reference to the MP whose name is like the french word for pig, and Neil Young's band Crazy Horse are notorious liberals who constantly drink while boating on the Bras D'or Lakes.

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 06 October 2005 07:58 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sorry, but I have to bump this to spare the TATers.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 06 October 2005 08:30 AM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
mmm. TATers.
From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
El Presidente
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9463

posted 06 October 2005 03:46 PM      Profile for El Presidente     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Well, 'trophers like Porker' is a reference to the MP whose name is like the french word for pig, and Neil Young's band Crazy Horse are notorious liberals who constantly drink while boating on the Bras D'or Lakes.

Actually, to provide some clarity, Porker is a common name for Manning MacDonald (Cape Breton South)...for his size, but also because, like a pig, he likes to be at the trough (think that's how you spell what a pig eats out of). Crazy Horse is a common name for Russell MacKinnon (Cape Breton West)...even his family refer to him as Crazy Horse (and are most aware that he is in fact Crazy).

Sounds like both Tories in Cape Breton are very serious about running. Don't want to get involved with that discussion I had earlier, but I am wondering how folks in Halifax and the rural mainland would feel about a Tory leader from Cape Breton.....would they support them? Is there really, as many Cape Bretoners believe, a stigma attached to any politician from Cape Breton? While I'll admit that most of them suck, they're not all bad. While I'm not a Tory, and while I don't think either of them have the experience to be leader/premier, I do think they are fairly decent and respectable individuals (that's hard for me to say, but there, I said it).

Certainly more respectable than David 'Ka'chingwall.

Charles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 200

posted 07 October 2005 12:50 AM      Profile for Charles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
While I am loathe to defend the likes of MacDonald (who has nearly single handedly decimated the arts community in Nova Scotia) or Clarke (who is just an insufferable, pompous ass), both have had more experience than John Hamm did when he was elected Tory leader (MacDonald has been an MLA for 7 years, Clarke for 3 and a half; John Hamm was an MLA for two years when he was elected leader with no previous political experience), and Liberal "Leader" Francis MacEnzie has never been an MLA not held nor runfor public office before. The problems with Clarke and MacDonald isn't their lack of experience, it's the fact that one is a far right troglodyte blowhard, the other too easily led and without an original thought in his head. They have enough going against them to suggest experience is their biggest obsticle...
sandpiper
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10581

posted 09 October 2005 06:10 PM      Profile for sandpiper     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I heard Jane Purves took herself out of the race, and Judy Streatch, in response to a question as to why there are no female candidates, said she would be ready one day.

I'm from the Colchester riding originally, and know the resentment towards the capital, so I don't know that Black could win the leadership. I think Ernie Fage has a good shot.

Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 09 October 2005 07:14 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Fage? Nobody know who he is outside of the Cumberland-Colchester areas, despite his role in cabinet.

I agree on Black. Having a CEO as leader is not going to help the PCs if their seeking swing NDP votes. Also, too South End for rural Tories.

The names I'm hearing thrown around are HRM Mayor Kelly, former finance minister Neil Leblanc, and labour and environment minister Kerry Morash.

Kelly is the only one worth worrying about, but I don't think he'll run. Leblanc and Morash are known in their home areas and amongst the PCs, but they're not that well known IMHO. Even Leblanc, whose been around since Buchanan. I doubt Morash will run but Leblanc seems interested.

If it turns into a Black vs. Leblanc PC leadership contest, the NDP might be governing very soon.

StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 09 October 2005 09:31 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think I've been thinking about this issue with the idea of who I could live with as my conservative premier. But Privateer offers hope. I've never liked hope myself, it leads to expectations, and then depression.

But if I had to pick a race to help the NDP, Black vs Morash vs Taylor would be my pick.

Remote
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7804

posted 12 October 2005 11:15 PM      Profile for Remote     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Please, oh, please let Ernie Fage become the next Tory leader. He is a journalist's dream. He has such a grasp of the English language. Honest to god, he makes up words. Jornos have given him a free ride as a lowly MLA, but as leader -- or, god forbid, premier -- the gloves are off. He'll be George Dubya'd all the way. Nice enough guy, but oh lord.

[ 12 October 2005: Message edited by: Remote ]

Tory-PC
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10614

posted 12 October 2005 11:51 PM      Profile for Tory-PC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Cecil will be the next premier!
From: Pictou County | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 13 October 2005 01:09 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I predict that the Scotian's de Nouveau will fool the world by voting either liberal or conservative. Just a hunch. Bet ya a dollar.
From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 13 October 2005 08:43 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Halifax will go NDP.

The rest of the province (including Suburbia) will give us the same government we enjoy at present, and have enjoyed for far too long. At least it will be another minority, which serves somewhat to limit the pork-barreling, whether it is Liberal or PC.

alisea
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4222

posted 13 October 2005 09:10 AM      Profile for alisea     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm not so sure it'll be another minority. I fear a complete Liberal implosion, and we need the three-way split in seats, not just votes.
From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 13 October 2005 10:27 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, I'm hoping that there will be a couple of NDP pickups in CB and either Pictou/New Glasgow, Musquodoboit, or Hants to preserve the minority (at the least). But I'm probably being more optimistic than realistic.
Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 13 October 2005 01:55 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by alisea:
I'm not so sure it'll be another minority. I fear a complete Liberal implosion, and we need the three-way split in seats, not just votes.

I'm not so scared of a Liberal collapse. It will make our safe Halifax seats super-safe as the most of them are very poor turf for the PCs. Largely upper-middle class seats Citadel and Clayton Park will be further out of our reach. We will have to strenghten our defenses in marginal NDP seats like Halifax Atlantic, Hfx Chebucto, Dart South, and Dart East.

But its what will happen outside of HRM that's the big unknown. I'll guess that a Liberal collapse will be to our benefit in Cape Breton, suddenly making 3 or 4 seats very winnable. Though in rural CB, the PCs could pick up a couple of seats.

Rural Mainland is anybody's guess. Try to burrow into the mind of the traditional Liberal voter in Lunenburg or Yarmouth or Digby or Kentville or Truro or Windsor or New Glasgow or Antigonish? Who do they oppose more, their traditional PC enemy or the upstart and mysterious NDPers? We really don't know for sure. That will decide the election.

StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 13 October 2005 05:34 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't know that the liberals will collapse. They did well in the recent loss to our soon to be premier Judy Streatch, placing second with their own Lunenburg County teacher. Our doctor won't run again there.

I know Francie MacKenzie's thick, but more good local candidates should lessen the Liberal fall.

Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 13 October 2005 07:16 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I don't know that the liberals will collapse. They did well in the recent loss to our soon to be premier Judy Streatch, placing second with their own Lunenburg County teacher. Our doctor won't run again there.

I know Francie MacKenzie's thick, but more good local candidates should lessen the Liberal fall.

Umm nobody is talking about Premier Judy Streatch. Are you talking about her being the PC leader after the next one?

The thing is if the Liberals plunge into the lower 20s, or even lower (MacKenzies support rating is a bit below 20%), good candidates simply won't matter much. Candidates get a lot more attention in byelections than in general elections.

I think we can say they've lost Citadel. Preston and Kings West are probable Liberal loses.

Where do you think the Liberals can pick up seats?

StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 13 October 2005 07:27 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't think the Liberals will pick up seats, but I don't think they'll fall into the low 20's. I'm not sure why I don't think the Liberals will drop off. But you are optimistic, and I am used to losing. Part of the reason is that while I see a drop in Liberal support translating obviosly into fewer seats, I see the Tories holding onto theirs, and picking up a majority.

Sorry about that Judy Streatch comment. I had a beer after work. Someone in the Tory camp said he thought she would make a run, if only to ensure she re-wins her seat.

realism
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9471

posted 13 October 2005 07:43 PM      Profile for realism     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I suspect Ms Streatch will have a difficult time holding on to her seat with a stronger N-Dipper running against her.
StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 13 October 2005 07:50 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, here's hoping the stronger N-Dipper wins her nomination. When is that anyway?
white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 25 October 2005 11:37 AM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Bill Black is expected to announce he is entering the race. His profile is in the winter 2005 issue of
Dal's alumni magazine
http://alumniandfriends.dal.ca/magazine/Wint05.pdf

StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 25 October 2005 11:42 AM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
He'll have a lot of money to work with, but I don't know what his chances are with the way the votes are being tallied.
white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 25 October 2005 12:06 PM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The voting system works in favour of a rural candidate. It will come down to Peter Kelly, Bill Black, and Michael Baker. So, if you have a rural candidate who can clean up all the votes outside HRM, he has the advantage.
Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 25 October 2005 12:18 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by white rabbit:
The voting system works in favour of a rural candidate. It will come down to Peter Kelly, Bill Black, and Michael Baker. So, if you have a rural candidate who can clean up all the votes outside HRM, he has the advantage.

Well, in that scenario it would be Baker of Lunenburg. But that is not going to happen. We, the NDP, can only hope though.

What about Neil LeBlanc? Most insider Tories seem to like him.

white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 25 October 2005 12:27 PM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I wouldn't know what the insider Tory preferences might be; I gave Baker the advantage because he is a sitting cabinet minister.

Are you with the NDP privateer?

Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 25 October 2005 12:31 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Are you with the NDP privateer?

I'm a supporter.

white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 25 October 2005 12:35 PM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Which riding/ constituency are you in? Do you help out in the elections?
Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 25 October 2005 12:40 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Halifax West at the moment, and yes.
white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 25 October 2005 02:04 PM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You know Theresa and Bill?

If Peter Kelly should win the leadership race, what will happen to the vacant mayor's seat in HRM?

Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 25 October 2005 02:29 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
You know Theresa and Bill?
If Peter Kelly should win the leadership race, what will happen to the vacant mayor's seat in HRM?

There's lots of Bills around - the candidate last election was Bill Carr, who I don't know very well - but I don't know any Theresas (at least not around here). Anyhow, I don't think I am who you're thinking of, and I use a pseudonym for a reason.

I'm hoping somebody progressive will run. I've felt that Peter Delefes would make an excellent mayor, though I've never heard any rumours about him running.

realism
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9471

posted 25 October 2005 02:46 PM      Profile for realism     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Back to the PC Leadership Race- Rodney MacDonald- Ernie Fage- My first & second ballot choices.
StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 25 October 2005 02:53 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Cecil just put out a pretty weak energy platform. He'd be a horrible Premier, so I'd like to see him try for the nod. I still don't get what the earlier references to his 'lifestyle' were about. Was it the boating and drinking? Because Cape Breton Liberals do that too.
white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 25 October 2005 02:59 PM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm still curious as to if an election in HRM will be held if Kelly wins.
Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 25 October 2005 03:14 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't care if Cecil boats or not though, like anyone, he should practise safe boating.
StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 25 October 2005 03:19 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
my computer's gone mad

[ 25 October 2005: Message edited by: StockwellDay ]

StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 25 October 2005 03:20 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I probably didn't have anything important to say anyway.

[ 25 October 2005: Message edited by: StockwellDay ]

StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 25 October 2005 03:20 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
oops
Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 25 October 2005 06:19 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Halifax mayor Peter Kelly is officially NOT running. Good thing for the NDP, IMHO. He is the only candidate who I think could have seriously challenged the NDP in HRM. Even than, only a modest challenge.
white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 25 October 2005 08:08 PM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That narrows the field to Bill Black, Michael Baker (?), and Neil LeBlanc. What would happen if no one stepped forward, or only one person did?
realism
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9471

posted 25 October 2005 08:21 PM      Profile for realism     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Candidates will be Rodney MacDonald, Bill Black & Neil LeBlanc. Perhaps a dark horse.
Support is thin for Baker & Fage outside their own areas.

Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 26 October 2005 12:38 AM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I can't take Rodney MacDonald seriously, and its not cuz he's young. He is a light-weight (Minister of Culture and Heritage) and the PCs are not electing a leader from Cape Breton. Just not happening.

Its Black vs. LeBlanc IMHO, unless someone is hiding in the shadows.

realism
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9471

posted 26 October 2005 06:05 AM      Profile for realism     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What a better way to boost the party support in CB, than to have a leader from CB. Makes sense to me. Also MacDonald is not a light weight with his Health Promotion portfolio. He has done some good things in this area. Maybe not fireworks, but in the long term alot of policies that will make a difference in the big picture.
white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 26 October 2005 08:43 AM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
When was Neil LeBlanc last in politics? The rumour has it that Bill Black will be running in the Halifax Citadel byelection. Privateer I know your handle is a pseudonym just as Deb's is Cleaning Agent 86.
Hunky_Monkey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6081

posted 27 October 2005 05:00 PM      Profile for Hunky_Monkey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It will come down to LeBlanc and Black. But do keep an eye on MacDonald. Will be interesting to see LeBlanc answer the "if you loose, will you still run in the general" question. Of course, he needs to say yes. And where? Most likely Halifax Chebucto. Black will have to make no errors. He's a rookie and for Tories to feel ok with choosing him, he needs to show he doesn't act like a rookie.
white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 27 October 2005 05:19 PM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Rodney MacDonald doesn't have enough experience to be premier. Bill Black running as a candidate in Halifax Chebucto? That's an NDP stronghold, currently held by Howard Epstein.
Hunky_Monkey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6081

posted 27 October 2005 05:53 PM      Profile for Hunky_Monkey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Rodney MacDonald doesn't have enough experience to be premier. Bill Black running as a candidate in Halifax Chebucto? That's an NDP stronghold, currently held by Howard Epstein.

MacDonald in the legislature since 1999 and doesn't have enough experience? Why? He looks young?

And I was referring to LeBlanc in Chebucto. The NDP won the riding with a good percentage last campaign... but only won it in 1999 with 300 some votes over the Tory candidate. Wouldn't call it a strong hold... maybe a safe seat if the the other candidate wasn't the Premier.

StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 27 October 2005 06:00 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, are there any other seats outside of Metro that are open for LeBlanc? It'd be a shame to leave the field to two guys from HRM.

I need some Tory resentment to build. Go Fage! Go Taylor!

Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 27 October 2005 06:22 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
And where? Most likely Halifax Chebucto.

Why would Neil LeBlanc run in Halifax Chebucto?

(Sorry, others questioned this while I was doing something else. I shoulda checked.)

[ 27 October 2005: Message edited by: Sharon ]

Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 27 October 2005 06:22 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Baker is officially NOT running, and is not supporting Black.
Hunky_Monkey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6081

posted 27 October 2005 06:29 PM      Profile for Hunky_Monkey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sharon:

Why would Neil LeBlanc run in Halifax Chebucto?

(Sorry, others questioned this while I was doing something else. I shoulda checked.)

[ 27 October 2005: Message edited by: Sharon ]

I think LeBlanc was looking at ridings where no Tory has been nominated. Chebucto and Needham for example. I think it was actually LeBlanc himself who mentioned this. Chebucto would be more Tory friendly than Needham.

realism
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9471

posted 27 October 2005 08:09 PM      Profile for realism     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
LeBlanc in Bedford- against Francis MacKenzie. Christie is not re-offering. However that being said, MacDonald will have the bulk of the caucus support. MacDonald is clean, has introduced some good policies in his portfolios. No Baggage.
LeBlanc is making some mistakes already- announcing at the Art Gallery of NS. Welcome to the elite arm of the party. LeBlanc carries some baggage from Buchanan and remember who was finance minister when the $155.00 checques were sent out.

realism
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9471

posted 27 October 2005 08:11 PM      Profile for realism     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I can't take Rodney MacDonald seriously, and its not cuz he's young. He is a light-weight (Minister of Culture and Heritage) and the PCs are not electing a leader from Cape Breton. Just not happening.

Its Black vs. LeBlanc IMHO, unless someone is hiding in the shadows.

MacDonald is Minister of Health Promotion, Immigration, Sport & Rec, & Tourism. Not heavy portfolios, but important ones.

realism
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9471

posted 27 October 2005 08:13 PM      Profile for realism     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Bill Black is already nominated in Halifax Citadel for either the by-election or general election- whichever comes first.

white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 27 October 2005 08:17 PM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunky_Monkey:

Chebucto would be more Tory friendly than Needham.

I'm not so sure about that. Chebucto was Alexa's turf before Epstein was elected. The last election the Liveral candidate did fairly well in Chebucto.

Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 27 October 2005 09:36 PM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

I'm not so sure about that. Chebucto was Alexa's turf before Epstein was elected. The last election the Liveral candidate did fairly well in Chebucto.

Back in those days, Chebucto included Fairview. The West End of Halifax has changed in recent years, going more upscale with increasing property values. So has parts of the North End but overall not nearly as much.

Nonetheless, neither district has a recent history of electing Tories. In fact they are deadzones for the PCs. LeBlanc should look at Clayton Park or Atlantic or Dartmouth South if he wants to run in HRM.

Hunky_Monkey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6081

posted 27 October 2005 10:02 PM      Profile for Hunky_Monkey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
First, 1999, the Tory candidate came within 340 some votes of knocking off Howard Epstein. Dead zone for the Tories? If they were close then, dipped last time to a popular and well-known Liberal, you think the "Premier" wouldn't have a shot? Again, these two riding came from LeBlanc himself. These two are without Tory candidates. Rumour has it (and public speculation from the former minister herself) that Jane Purves may take a crack at Needham. So... Halifax Chebucto is probably topping Neil LeBlanc's list.
Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 28 October 2005 04:34 AM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
1999 was the exception to the rule across HRM and a high water mark for the PCs (post-Buchanan). In 1993, 1998 and 2003, the PCs ran a distant third in Chebucto.

BTW the PCs won Chebucto once, back in 1967, the first year the district existed. Then it stayed solidly Liberal until Alexa broke new ground for the NDP in 1981. A PC came very close to knocking off Alexa in 1988. But those were different times.

[ 28 October 2005: Message edited by: Privateer ]

Hunky_Monkey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6081

posted 28 October 2005 04:41 AM      Profile for Hunky_Monkey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Just saying the voter "universe" for them is there. Again, it was LeBlanc who mentioned Chebucto. Maybe another riding will be in cards.
Privateer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3446

posted 28 October 2005 04:58 AM      Profile for Privateer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
IMHO LeBlanc is foolish to consider Chebucto. Maybe if Epstein wasn't running again, but that's not the case. I'm not saying its impossible for LeBlanc to win, but its bad to have the leader always campaigning in his own seat and neglecting everything else. I'm sure the Tories will find someone in a more winnable seat who will back down from their nomination for the right price, if necessary.
white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 28 October 2005 10:04 AM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Why would Neil LeBlanc choose Halifax Chebucto? Does he have a home in that constituency? I said Cleaning Agent 86, but it's really 87

[ 28 October 2005: Message edited by: white rabbit ]

davidt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8006

posted 28 October 2005 12:22 PM      Profile for davidt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Why are you posting grey eyes' profile?

Whats that have to do with anything?
It seems to be a little strange.

white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 28 October 2005 01:06 PM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Could someone bring me up to speed on why Neil LeBlanc is planning to run in Halifax Chebucto?
DavidT you didn't find it strange last week when cleaning agent 87's blog was linked on the site.

StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 28 October 2005 01:22 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by davidt:
Why are you posting grey eyes' profile?

Whats that have to do with anything?
It seems to be a little strange.

It does seem strange. Some comments earlier show an attempt to discover more about the identity of Privateer.

Curious eh?

Perhaps we can just stick to PC premier talk.

white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 28 October 2005 01:45 PM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Perhaps you were pointing to my question about which riding privateer lived in? If that was inappropriate then privateer could have refused to answer. It was a simple question, nothing more.

Now, I think I missed the story about why LeBlanc plans to run in Hfx Chebucto. Has the Liberal candidate been chosen yet?

StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 28 October 2005 01:49 PM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Curiouser and curiouser.
davidt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8006

posted 29 October 2005 01:19 PM      Profile for davidt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hello depptown.

You have a very specific way of changing the subject.

Good to see you still have an unhealthy intrest in the halifaxlivers.

[ 29 October 2005: Message edited by: davidt ]

white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 29 October 2005 05:29 PM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

[ 29 October 2005: Message edited by: white rabbit ]

white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 29 October 2005 05:34 PM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You have a creepy way of stalking and pestering women on the internet. STOP THIS IMMEDIATELY or I'll be contacting Audra.

[ 29 October 2005: Message edited by: white rabbit ]

davidt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8006

posted 30 October 2005 04:06 AM      Profile for davidt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I would have never mentioned anything but I found it unnerving that you (a) pretended that you had never known privateer, and (b) seemed to be trying to find out personal details.
And considering that you have taken flame wars to the point of contacting the potential employers of those whom you are debating on the internet, it was only reasonable for me to give a heads up.

And that you accused me of a criminal offense (stalking)only for the crime of pointing out who you were, only justifies me giving out that warning.

With the exception of this single exchange I have never had anything to do with you.

I understand that you felt wronged by being kicked off of halifax live but your attacks on grey eyes (a year after the fact nonetheless)even over here on babble are not worth your time, try to move on. Relax.

good luck
white rabbit

[ 30 October 2005: Message edited by: davidt ]

realism
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9471

posted 30 October 2005 08:13 AM      Profile for realism     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This topic is the NOVA SCOTIA PC Leadership race- can we keep it on topic please, and take "other" issues outside. Those of us interested in this subject will appreciate it. Thanks!!
white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 30 October 2005 08:48 AM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by davidt:
I would have never mentioned anything but I found it unnerving that you (a) pretended that you had never known privateer, and (b) seemed to be trying to find out personal details.
And considering that you have taken flame wars to the point of contacting the potential employers of those whom you are debating on the internet, it was only reasonable for me to give a heads up.

And that you accused me of a criminal offense (stalking)only for the crime of pointing out who you were, only justifies me giving out that warning.

With the exception of this single exchange I have never had anything to do with you.

I understand that you felt wronged by being kicked off of halifax live but your attacks on grey eyes (a year after the fact nonetheless)even over here on babble are not worth your time, try to move on. Relax.

good luck
white rabbit

[ 30 October 2005: Message edited by: davidt ]

You are out of your mind you good for nothing troublemaker . You have a lot of time on your hands for being a "law student". I did not ask privateer for personal information and I never contacted a "potential employer". There are plenty of people who were kicked off that cesspool for various reasons. Go do your thing with your buddy Cleaning Agent With A Bullet.

[ 30 October 2005: Message edited by: white rabbit ]

white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 30 October 2005 08:52 AM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
One other comment for you, Mr. "Law Student" DavidT
-- privateer is an organizer for the ndp in HRM. So am I. I thought we might know the same people, and we probably do. That's why I asked him which party he was with and which riding he lived in *as if it's any of your business*. You have trawled the internet, and pestered me on another site. Privateer can speak for himself, I have never talked to him before and didn't know that he was with the ndp until now. I suggest you mind your own business and stop telling lies about me contacting "potential employers". Focus on your "law degree", wherever that might come from.

davidt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8006

posted 30 October 2005 09:52 AM      Profile for davidt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I have never engaged you, directly or indirectly on any other site.
white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 30 October 2005 10:09 AM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I am warning you for the last time DavidT. This is not the first time you have pestered me. What I ask privateer is none of your business. There was nothing untoward in what I asked him. If there was, Audra (who I know persomally) or privateer could have objected. Stop telling lies that I contacted people's potential employers. If privateer wants to contact me he can do so or speak for himself. Go back to your law studies from whatever cracker jack box offers the degree you're taking.
davidt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8006

posted 30 October 2005 10:27 AM      Profile for davidt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Post a link of me pestering you on other web sites. I never even pestered you before you tossed off halifaxlive.

On that note im going to pretend that I never had the misfortune of foolishly and stupidly falling into one of your "i hate HL flame wars".

white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 30 October 2005 10:33 AM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
DavidT do your law professors know that you hang with someone who calls herself Cleaning Agent With A Bullet?

Now, back to the topic at hand. Halifax Chebucto seems to be the constituency to watch. Any word on who will be running for the Liberals? It looks like Neil Leblanc will be giving Howard a run for his money. But there is a seniors residence or two in that riding where everyone votes NDP.

Nekrofanatic
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10828

posted 31 October 2005 11:05 AM      Profile for Nekrofanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
DavidT do your law professors know that you hang with someone who calls herself Cleaning Agent With A Bullet?

Now, back to the topic at hand. Halifax Chebucto seems to be the constituency to watch. Any word on who will be running for the Liberals? It looks like Neil Leblanc will be giving Howard a run for his money. But there is a seniors residence or two in that riding where everyone votes NDP.

Its gonna be Bill Black who takes it I'm thinking. I know he'll get my vote thats for sure. Its definitely a grey area tho', not a black and white issue. There is lotsa of "underlying" thinking that's gonna sway the vote one way or the other...

StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 31 October 2005 11:22 AM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Bill seems like a really poor choice for the Conservatives; it seems like some back room boys decided he would be their man without considering that the conservative vote is in the rural ridings. Corporate NS is doing very well in building up HRM (the sprawl here is out of control), but is really hurting rural ridings, and Bill would be the Tory corporate face.

I think LeBlanc will win, but Black would get my vote too. If the Liberal vote collapses, he's the best chance their vote will go to the NDP.

[ 31 October 2005: Message edited by: StockwellDay ]

white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 31 October 2005 06:51 PM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nekrofanatic:

Its gonna be Bill Black who takes it I'm thinking. I know he'll get my vote thats for sure. Its definitely a grey area tho', not a black and white issue. There is lotsa of "underlying" thinking that's gonna sway the vote one way or the other...

Well, I'd have to agree he has a 50-50 chance. Nice to see you here hun. At least GE won't be reading our pm's on this board, if you know what I mean.

Hunky_Monkey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6081

posted 31 October 2005 08:04 PM      Profile for Hunky_Monkey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
All the heavyweights at LeBlanc's announcement... and most of the caucus support... even a lot of Kelly's key people. Odds are on LeBlanc unless something changes from here to Feb... and of course, thats several lifetimes in politics.
Nekrofanatic
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10828

posted 01 November 2005 01:01 PM      Profile for Nekrofanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Well, I'd have to agree he has a 50-50 chance. Nice to see you here hun. At least GE won't be reading our pm's on this board, if you know what I mean.

Nice to keep it on topic. Nice to bring up others from a completely different board. Take some advice, turn off the computer and breath deeply for a coupla months. The world would be a far better place for it...If you know what I mean.

white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 01 November 2005 01:34 PM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nekrofanatic:

Nice to keep it on topic. Nice to bring up others from a completely different board. Take some advice, turn off the computer and breath deeply for a coupla months. The world would be a far better place for it...If you know what I mean.

Wasn't it that different board that directed you here? I do think it's relevant to point out that the moderator here will not read your pm's, nor would she dream of writing an obscenity-riddled
commentary in the form of a blog. She is far too
professional for that. Wouldn't the world be a better place if things like that just didn't happen?

Now Nekro, you say you'll be voting for candidate Bill Black. I thought you backed the libertarian party. Have you switched back to the Tories?

[ 01 November 2005: Message edited by: white rabbit ]

Nekrofanatic
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10828

posted 01 November 2005 02:11 PM      Profile for Nekrofanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Wasn't it that different board that directed you here? I do think it's relevant to point out that the moderator here will not read your pm's, nor would she dream of writing an obscenity-riddled
commentary in the form of a blog. She is far too
professional for that. Wouldn't the world be a better place if things like that just didn't happen?

Now Nekro, you say you'll be voting for candidate Bill Black. I thought you backed the libertarian party. Have you switched back to the Tories?

[ 01 November 2005: Message edited by: white rabbit ]

*sigh* Assuming things don't make you look any better either. How I was directed here is none of your business, but I'll tell you so you won't create a conspiracy theory out of it. I was directed here by someone who is NOT on HL.

As for the moderator here (Who, as you so oft claim, is a good friend of yours), I'm sure she does her job very well and impartially, just like MOST moderators everywhere. Everyone knows that if you behave inappropriately in any forum, moderators will take you to task.

The world would be a better place if people would learn to relax and not assume the worst about everyone. The world would be a FAR better place if those who thought the world was against them would simply realize that its not ...

I am a Libertarian as I would think a vast number of Canadians are. There really isn't an effective party to represent at the moment thus we turn to other partys. I believe that Bill Black represents a closer Libertarian ideal then that incompetent Hamm ever could. Hamm and Harper are 2 great reasons NEVER to support a conservative party. Bill Black just may manage to get some of us Libertarians into the fold and he'll certainly attract the like-minded from his own party.

white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 01 November 2005 05:11 PM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Actually, Nekro, it is my business why you came here if your only reason for doing so is to offer unsolicited advice or to heckle me.

I doubt very much that the majority of Canadians are Libertarians as you surmise. Nor will you find Libertarians on this board, whose members tend to shun right wing politics. Clinton's blog is the place to be for right wing discussions pertaining to Libertarianism.

[ 06 November 2005: Message edited by: white rabbit ]

white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 05 November 2005 08:00 AM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The interlopers from a different site seem to have
derailed interest in this thread.

Will it be brought back to life since Rodney MacDonald entered the race? Looking at the three candidates - Leblanc, Black and Now MacDonald, I see more similarities than differences. The similarities
are that we have three able bodied white guys in suits contending for the leadership. The differences are that one is a former CEO, one a baby-faced neophyte and the other a career politician.

Charles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 200

posted 05 November 2005 09:16 AM      Profile for Charles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Needless to say, I have no dog in this fight but why does everyone keep referring to MacDonald with terms like neophyte? Two tem MLA, sitting cabinet minister, six years in the legislature, that entire time spent in cabinet, that's no neophyte. The neophyte in the race is Bill Black, yet because he's 54 that's never brought up. Odd...
StockwellDay
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10342

posted 05 November 2005 10:04 AM      Profile for StockwellDay     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, I think the difference is that the people who are using that word DO have a dog in this fight.

There was a funny editorial by a usually unfunny writer in the Halifax weekly The Coast (when the only two candidates were Black and LeBlanc). In addition to changing their names to Monsieur Noire and Mr White, he points out that Bill Black played 'Paint It Black' as his theme song, and quoted the words, "I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes/I have to turn my head until my darkness goes... I look inside myself and see my heart is black."

Here's Mr White's website:

http://www.neilfornovascotia.ca/

His communications person is the niece of a former Liberal Premier, and a former Liberal herself.

white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 05 November 2005 05:48 PM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles:
Needless to say, I have no dog in this fight but why does everyone keep referring to MacDonald with terms like neophyte? Two tem MLA, sitting cabinet minister, six years in the legislature, that entire time spent in cabinet, that's no neophyte. The neophyte in the race is Bill Black, yet because he's 54 that's never brought up. Odd...

He's a neophyte in the broad sense of his youth when compared with Bill Black, who, despite not having prior political experience, has a lifelong
career as a CEO on his CV. MacDonald's status as a sitting cabinet minister will at least partly offset Black's corporate experience.

Nekrofanatic
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10828

posted 07 November 2005 02:23 PM      Profile for Nekrofanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The interlopers from a different site seem to have
derailed interest in this thread.

FYI, anyone NOT interested in seeing how a thread derails (THIS post is a definite derailiment) should avoid this post as it's gonna be a long one...

Just 'cause I like taking a bait every now and then, let's discuss derailing a thread shall we? Keep in mind, this thread is ABOUT the next NS premier...

"Privateer I know your handle is a pseudonym just as Deb's is Cleaning Agent 86."

"I said Cleaning Agent 86, but it's really 87"

"DavidT you didn't find it strange last week when cleaning agent 87's blog was linked on the site."

"You have a creepy way of stalking and pestering women on the internet. STOP THIS IMMEDIATELY or I'll be contacting Audra."

"You are out of your mind you good for nothing troublemaker . You have a lot of time on your hands for being a "law student". I did not ask privateer for personal information and I never contacted a "potential employer". There are plenty of people who were kicked off that cesspool for various reasons. Go do your thing with your buddy Cleaning Agent With A Bullet."

" I suggest you mind your own business and stop telling lies about me contacting "potential employers". Focus on your "law degree", wherever that might come from."

"I am warning you for the last time DavidT. This is not the first time you have pestered me. What I ask privateer is none of your business. There was nothing untoward in what I asked him. If there was, Audra (who I know persomally) or privateer could have objected. Stop telling lies that I contacted people's potential employers. If privateer wants to contact me he can do so or speak for himself. Go back to your law studies from whatever cracker jack box offers the degree you're taking."

"DavidT do your law professors know that you hang with someone who calls herself Cleaning Agent With A Bullet?"

Now, the above statements were made in posts with numerous edits. Apparently, bringing up a subject AND persons NOT involved with the topic at hand by WhiteRabbit is NOT derailing. However, anyone who may comment on such statements are considered derailing the thread?

Interloper: one that intrudes in a place or sphere of activity

By your own words, you have interloped into this thread by derailing the topic. In fact, it was YOU, whiterabbit, who STARTED the derailment with your comment. Its always a wonderment to watch how these things occur and the self-righteousness of those that cause them. Its even more amazing knowing that many of these derailments could have just as easily been taken to pm's in order to keep to the topic. However, taking the accusations and such to pm's would not make the poster (whiterabbit) seem to be the victim of a scathing witchhunt. It is always beneficial to one who makes false accusations (through maliciousness or a general false sense of the world is against them) to make their thoughts known to the masses in order to generate the sympathy they so crave.

Also, by stating that I (as that is whom whiterabbit's interloper statement was directed) am from a different site and as such should not be bothered with, fails to also show that whiterabbit herself IS from a different site and has only become a member here because she was kicked-off (rightfully so) the 'other site'.

Now, that I've done my bit to help derail this thread a bit further, I suggest that this thread be KEPT on topic by those who would love to take it off. Of course, this will be an impossible task for some to do, but it'll be curious to see if one can be so indignant about derailing a topic can at the same time derail it but claim otherwise...

/Queue further derailment

audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 07 November 2005 02:32 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Here's Mr White's website:

http://www.neilfornovascotia.ca/

His communications person is the niece of a former Liberal Premier, and a former Liberal herself.

And a babbler!

From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nekrofanatic
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10828

posted 07 November 2005 02:32 PM      Profile for Nekrofanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Actually, Nekro, it is my business why you came here if your only reason for doing so is to offer unsolicited advice or to heckle me.

I doubt very much that the majority of Canadians are Libertarians as you surmise. Nor will you find Libertarians on this board, whose members tend to shun right wing politics. Clinton's blog is the place to be for right wing discussions pertaining to Libertarianism.

[ 06 November 2005: Message edited by: white rabbit ]

As I enjoy a good political discussion, it's no business of yours at all...OOPS! Sorry, derailed.

Of the thousands of members of this board, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that Libertarians are amongst 'em. Its nigh impossible to have a good meaty political discussion without both the right and left wing elements. Maybe left wing politics make up the majority of posters on this board, maybe not. Perhaps someone should make a poll and find out.

I honestly believe that Bill Black is more Libertarian in his outlook then hamm ever could be. Leblanc and MacDonald are hammites and whilst that may be enough to garner them a good number of hammite votes, there are many others, a good many, who for a long time have been very dis-satisfied with the current crop of 'progressive' conservatives. I see Leblanc and MacDonald fighting for the same votes and Black bringing home those of us who really liked the progressive side of being Conservative.

audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 07 November 2005 03:11 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wait! Woah! This thread is LONG.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca