babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » from far and wide   » nfld, labrador, pei, ns, nb   » Newfoundland physically separating from Canada?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Newfoundland physically separating from Canada?
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 17 August 2001 10:11 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Uh...okay this is obviously a joke, but what do you think?

Could Newfoundland Politically separate?

[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: meades ]

From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
bellows
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 747

posted 18 August 2001 08:34 AM      Profile for bellows     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would say yes. All we need is a Premier who has the guts to fight Ottawa and big business. But as a premier you do as you are told. Rememember this country is run by big business and the Prime minister who is a dictator.Right now there are 52,000 on welfare in newfoundland, out of a population of 500,000. I don't know if another country would want us, but with all our natural resourses I am sure we can get a better deal than what Ottawa is giving us. Maybe independence is the way to go. As a republic we would own all our resourses, fish, oil, gas and all minerals. The big problem is after you get to be a politician you are told what you can do and what you can't do.We will be having a election soon and as it looks now a new Premier. Once this Premier gets in with the BIG BOY'S he also will be told what to do.
Slick Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 184

posted 18 August 2001 11:57 AM      Profile for Slick Willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Maybe independence is the way to go. As a republic we would own all our resourses, fish, oil, gas and all minerals.

Sounds like the first order of business is rape the environment to generate some cash.
I mean after all, if your an independant republic then the transfer payments from Ottawa would end.

bellows
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 747

posted 18 August 2001 04:08 PM      Profile for bellows     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With our resourses we would not need transfer payments. Think about it. Churchill Falls would be ours not Quebec's. We would have control of all fishery out to 200 miles.All oil revenues both on shore & off shore would be ours.All minerals would be ours. What more would we want for 500,000 people?
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 August 2001 04:31 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Mr. Hannin is currently in negotiations with several war-ravaged countries to purchase the necessary explosives to undertake the operation. The other option involves hosting the first ever Baked Beans Festival and a well-positioned flame, but Mr. Hannin fears the accidental defoliation of our pristine wilderness.

Mr Hannin is obviously a Mel Brooks fan. Sadly, the first sentence is all too practical -- that is indeed where the armaments are, and guess who sold them to those countries?

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 18 August 2001 10:56 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's possible Newfoundland could separate, although I detect no great desire for it. Many people are still convinced Confederation was a mistake.

As for the DUMB project, it's just a revival of an April Fool's joke from the Seventies.

I was maybe ten and home sick, watching Take 30 with Paul Soles. (Sadly, I was a little old beyond my years).

Mr. Soles was interviewing a man passing himself off as an engineer, and he looked and sounded the part (i.e., like my father). This was in the OPEC embargo/high oil price/shortage years, when conservation was all the rage.

He described a scheme to drill a series of big holes in the isthmus connecting Nova Scotia to New Brunswick.

Then, he said, compressed air would be forced down the holes to bedrock, which he said was sedimentary, in nearly-flat layers. (Oddly, I've never checked on this claim, though I could do so easily). The air would delaminate the rock, forcing the layers apart and allowing NS to drift off shore.

A couple of huge motors along the north shore would then propel NS down to near the coast of Florida, allowing for huge savings in oil costs and coincidentally giving the province a bit boost in tourism, as frozen Canadians went there instead of Florida or Mexico on winter holidays.

All this said quite gravely and seriously, with a perfectly straight face.

The best part was how many people fell for it. Next week the CBC was deluged with outraged letters, most apparently not sent in jest. Or so I remember -- perhaps only a couple of people got (as we used to say) fished in.

[ August 18, 2001: Message edited by: 'lance ]

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca