babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » from far and wide   » nfld, labrador, pei, ns, nb   » Harris calls Easterners welfare bums

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Harris calls Easterners welfare bums
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 21 July 2001 12:17 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A few days ago, "Harris said Atlantic premiers, lobbying for changes to the equalization formula, can be compared to lotterywinners who want to continue receiving welfare cheques." according to the CBCNewsworld report.

They're acting just like those greedy single mothers, and ungrateful leaches known as senior citizens, eh Mike? (that was sarcasm, as I'm sure you all could tell)

Oddly enough, Harris's propaganda machines have actually come out in defence of the Atlantic Premiers, Hamm and Grimes. The Fraser Institute and the C.D. Howe institute have said that it would actually be cheaper for the have provinces to have equalization payments stay the same despite increased revenues.

This just proves precisely how foolish Harris really is. EVEN BY RIGHT WING STANDARDS! Harris has refused to apologize though. A furious Roger Grimes spen many hours talking with the media over Harris's gaugh, and demanded an apology.

I haven't heard one yet. Well Harris? We're waiting!

BTW, I'm an emmigrant from Newfoundland, so I'm actually quite outraged at this.

From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trisha
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 387

posted 21 July 2001 01:06 PM      Profile for Trisha     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm outraged at both his audacity in trying to give the impression that all people on assistance are greedy cheaters and his viewpoint of the Easterners. This is not only a man who hates women, especially low income women, he hates natives, farmers other hard-working people, non-golfers and the list goes on. He has verbally attacked so many Canadians, I don't understand how anyone can like him. There is one consulation, if he keeps publicly insulting people and upsetting other members of government, sooner or later he's going to get dumped. The problem is, is someone worse going to show up next?
From: Thunder Bay, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pimji
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 228

posted 22 July 2001 11:53 AM      Profile for Pimji   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How can one consevative call another consevative a welfare bum? I would have thought they would all be playing on the same field. I would have thought the east coast conservatives would be looking at Harris with love in their eys. Hamm gave me the impression that he was trying to try to score brownie points with the Ontario conservatives by beating up on nurses and students. Then there is Grimes who is ready to sell water as a commodity. These guys are all the same. They like to spend and make money as long as it is someone elses dime and at someone elses expense.
From: South of Ottawa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 22 July 2001 12:19 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No honour among thieves, eh, Pimji? Too true -- Harris is too brutal an opportunist even for that.
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 22 July 2001 03:03 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
notice that Grimes was the only one to publicly complain? They may all be the same, but officially, Grimey's a Liberal, and thus it's okay to beat up on your buddies so long as they're not in the same party. I'm certain Harris was more upset about Newfoundland, since they had the nerve to vote liberal and demand transfer payments at the same time.
timbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1016

posted 29 July 2001 09:05 PM      Profile for timbit        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Meades: this is an observation (not a personal jab). Many people have left Newfoundland, just as people used to leave Ireland. In other words, the current economy has a finite ability to support a finite number of people.

Do I think the federal and provincial governments should explore ways to develop a sustainable (and expanded) economic base for Newfoundland, so people don't need to leave. Most certainly!

Do I think people have a God-given right to stay in any part of the country, even if the economy won't sustain them, and receive subsidization from the rest of the Confederation, indefinitely. No!

That being said, Newfoundlanders are some of the hardest working and resourceful people in Canada, IMHO.

meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 03 August 2001 04:21 AM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oops!

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: meades ]

ergotist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1176

posted 07 August 2001 01:16 PM      Profile for ergotist   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You are now reading the response of a South-Western Nova Scotian who laboured long and hard to stay East and has finally accepted the temporary necessity of economic exile to the centre. Harris should have been left on the golf course looking for his balls and Hammy ought to join him ... ah, the stuff of dreams. These clowns play King of the World, lending credence to ignorant and misguided presumptions about all sorts of people like o, um ... nurses and welfare recipients. Shame on anyone who eats even a teaspoon of their spew instead of opening their eyes and thinking for themselves. Eastern Canada is home to a relatively small population of determined people, the vast majority of whom scrape by on a piddling fraction of what their counterparts West of the New Brunswick border can expect to earn. It is ridiculous to assert that because the economy is crushing the life out of people 'down east' that this is somehow inevitable, therefore easterners should snap out of it and evacuate. How many can stay behind and still satisfy the rest of the country that they are entitled to? hmmm ... just enough to sell them postcards of the quaintness, dance them a jig and serve them some fish? The mechanics of over arching poverty in Eastern Canada are far too historical in scope and bloody complex to outline here BUT I will remind people that all four provinces in question are in the grip of a wrenching transition from primary resource extraction as the main economic engine tooooo ... to what? That's the question isn't it? I like the ring of "knowledge based economy", how 'bout you folks? Or is the consensus rather that when the fish are gone and the trees all turned into toilet paper we must pack our carpet bags and go to Rosedale and clean toilets? m? eh? This kind of mind altering shift doesn't happen over night boys and girls. If there remains even a pretense to the basic premise behind our Federalism - SHARING - then mayhaps the rest of Canada will not mind sharing their prosperity with us ... that we might go back to school, come up with new solutions that will outlast the dirty oil deposits now being fought over, invest in our ability to stay at home long enough to put our ideas to work! Then who knows? Maybe one day Alberta will run out of black gold, Ontario hit rock bottom, and they'll come waaaaay East, to the true Canadian East, looking for a little compassion. At the rate we're all going it'll be harder to find than one fat cod.

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: ergotist ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca