babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » from far and wide   » nfld, labrador, pei, ns, nb   » The case against prayer in the legislature

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: The case against prayer in the legislature
Nic
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 20

posted 07 May 2001 01:28 AM      Profile for Nic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Saint Mary's University political science professor Leonard Preyra wrote The case against prayer in the legislature for the Sunday Herald.

In it he says

quote:
the perception that non-Christians should behave like good guests and respect house rules is offensive and dangerous.

If we accept this idea of non-Christians as visitors and second-class citizens, then it legitimates a mindset similar to that which has led to the expulsion, internment, and taxation of "foreigners" because of their religious or racial ancestry.

We may no longer be forced to stand at the back of the bus or work at the back of the store but we can be forced to wait outside the House because our hosts are praying.

I happen to think he's right. What do others think?

[ May 07, 2001: Message edited by: Nic ]

From: Incheon, Korea | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 07 May 2001 10:18 AM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think he's completely right. I can't believe we are still having this discussion in 2001.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
wagepeace
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 114

posted 07 May 2001 10:24 AM      Profile for wagepeace     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Personally, I think they should pray to the voters rather than a deity because they all need to legitimize their role in the eyes of voters.
From: In a fog and on anti-psychotics | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
gbunty
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 50

posted 20 May 2001 02:10 AM      Profile for gbunty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So why does prayer have to be Christian? Or even theist? Why not imitate what school boards are doing with opening exercises and use a cycle of sources?
From: Burlington ON | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 27 May 2001 01:27 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And now they're singing God Save The Queen. My stars.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
babbler 8
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8

posted 27 May 2001 02:57 PM      Profile for babbler 8     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Now if it was the Sex Pistols version of it, I'd be fine with it.
From: take a break, we've been on this site too long | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Charles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 200

posted 27 May 2001 06:14 PM      Profile for Charles   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm currently doing some contract work at a local church and the folks there had a great take on the prayer in the leg debate - those who want to inflict their own religious practice on others are those who are the least secure in their own faith. As to God Save the Queen, it's nothing short of apalling. At least the NDP caucus seems to be pretty uniform in their opposition to this, better than the stand on prayer.
Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 28 May 2001 01:15 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I pray on my own time. I don't like having someone tell me, "now is the time to pray". That's like being told, "now is the time for you to have a meaningful conversation with your parents". It would never work! The conversation would be so forced and contrived.

If you want to have a meaningful, personal relationship with God (as you define him, her, it, or they), you ain't gonna get it through a chant you mindlessly recite at a pre-subscribed time. God wants you to chat because you want to, not because you're told you have to.

So yeah, I'd say a prayer at the beginning of a session of the legislature is silly.

From: A thread has merit only if I post to it. So sayeth VVMB! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca