babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » from far and wide   » nfld, labrador, pei, ns, nb   » Proliferation of Tim Horton's Outlets

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Proliferation of Tim Horton's Outlets
wagepeace
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 114

posted 03 May 2001 12:54 PM      Profile for wagepeace     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, here we go. As a "come from away" maybe I am but an innocent when it comes to Nova Scotia and the culture here.

I have chosen to make Eastern Passage my home, and I have to work on Spring Garden Road.

Now, could someone please tell me why there are so many Tim Horton's stores in the Halifax Regional Municipality? I have never seen so many Tim Horton stores in my life.

I am drowing in Timbits and Double Doubles!! Help!!

Why why why why why?????

Also, can someone please answer this: Connaught Pharmacy on the corner of Chebucto Road and Connaught.

It's never open, ever! The shelves are stocked with goods and there is a pro-life sign in the front window.

The Connaught Pharmacy is one of the great mysteries of our time. HELP!!! It is never open, EVER EVER! What is up with that?

[ May 03, 2001: Message edited by: wagepeace ]

From: In a fog and on anti-psychotics | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 03 May 2001 12:58 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Um? Wagepeace? Is this your attempt at a subliminal message?
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
wagepeace
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 114

posted 03 May 2001 01:30 PM      Profile for wagepeace     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh my God! Everything I touch isn't working today!!

I accidently pasted someone's comments in my post.

I am having a very, very bad day.

MJ
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 441

posted 03 May 2001 04:07 PM      Profile for MJ     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As a native Haligonian now living in Ontario, I feel highly qualified to respond to your questions.

The pharmacy at Connaught and Chebucto is frequently open, or at least was when I used to live there. Maybe you're just passing by a odd hours as they do close early.

If you work on Spring Garden you should have many other choices for coffee than Timmy's. As for why so many? I think it's just a question of what we in the business world call brand identity and first mover advantage. They were there before a real coffee culture took hold, and once it did they were well placed to expand. And there aren't nearly as many outlets as there are for Coffee Time in Toronto...

Gayle
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 37

posted 03 May 2001 04:08 PM      Profile for Gayle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We counted the Tim Horton's in Sydney one day. Within a 2km radius, there is something like 10 Tim Horton's stores. Two of them on the same street, one on the next street over.

It IS bizarre.

From: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
wagepeace
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 114

posted 03 May 2001 06:48 PM      Profile for wagepeace     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It IS bizarre! I am just astounded by the number of stores! I purposefully get my coffee at Irving as a sign of protest.
Gayle
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 37

posted 04 May 2001 10:25 AM      Profile for Gayle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That, and as I've been told, it's much cheaper and better (I don't drink coffee so it makes no difference to me. Tim's has the best blueberry bagel ever).

There are rumours that tim's coffee is extra addictive. I am inclined to agree (somewhat flippantly) because why the hell else would people go there when every time they do they drink it and say, "ugh, this is awful!"? Are they hoping it gets better? Did they once have a good cup there and are optimistic that it will one day return?

It confuses me.

From: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
wagepeace
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 114

posted 04 May 2001 11:37 AM      Profile for wagepeace     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know. There is a Tim's conspiracy. It's really a maritime mind control project in coffee form.
Nic
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 20

posted 25 May 2001 11:48 AM      Profile for Nic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tim's has really aggressive market protection strategies. Whenever a new coffee outlet opens, Tim Horton’s will open a franchise as near to it as they can.
From: Incheon, Korea | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 25 May 2001 11:57 AM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lots of people have an almost-religious love of Tim Horton's. The consumers love Timmy's for some reason. You couldn't attack Timmy's without striking into the hearts of a great many adoring fans.

I like their chicken salad sandwich, but I don't think it's the best thing ever. I'm sure I could get a better one at a diner somewhere.

From: A thread has merit only if I post to it. So sayeth VVMB! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peter Tkalec
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 674

posted 28 May 2001 09:39 PM      Profile for Peter Tkalec   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello. I was born and raised in/around Cole Harbour, and have just returned from six years of schooling & work in Saskatoon.

There are indeed many, many, many more Tim's stores in the HRM than in the whole of the prairies.

I like their coffee, though it probably exploits workers in developing countries like most "affordable" coffee. (In fact, money is fake, a fact that makes most coffees affordable) Although I wouldn't expect that theirs is more addictive (through higher caffiene levels or what-have-you), their cream is super, super rich. In fact, when I worked in a dairy one summer in Saskatoon, Tim's got special bags of creme that were quite rich. Makes your coffee taste like candy.

Anyhow, I don't like how they've been predatory in the past, opening up near the little guys - that shop on portland street just near downtown dartmouth went under after Mr. Tim opened up right across the street... Poor little shop.

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca