babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » activism   » Toronto: Demand Justice for Hundreds of Women Murdered

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Toronto: Demand Justice for Hundreds of Women Murdered
writer
editor emeritus
Babbler # 2513

posted 24 August 2006 08:56 AM      Profile for writer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From PAR-L:

Call for Volunteers - TAKE ACTION!

Kensington Avenue / South of College St. and West of Spadina Ave. (during Kensington Market's Pedestrian Sunday)

3 to 5 PM

TORONTO STREET INTERVENTION DEMANDS JUSTICE FOR HUNDREDS OF WOMEN MURDERED IN CIUDAD JUAREZ, MEXICO

More than 400 young women have been brutally killed in Ciudad Juarez and Chihuahua, Mexico since 1993. Many of the women were abducted, held captive for several days and subjected to humiliation, torture and horrific acts of sexual violence before dying. This summer Mexican federal authorities quietly closed an unsuccessful three-year investigation into the killings of 14 women who were raped and strangled in the border city of Juarez, leaving relatives of the victims with little hope the killers will ever be brought to justice.

The Toronto-based artists Rita Kamacho and Lina Rodriguez CALL WOMEN TO COME OUT ON SUNDAY AUGUST 27 from 3 to 5 PM and lie down on the pavement of Kensington Avenue with a white sheet covering their bodies. The goal is to intervene the entire street with immobile bodies and hopefully create awareness and responses on pedestrians.

The street intervention ISOLATED VOICES wants to address public space and question our role not only as audience members but also as human beings. We want to disrupt the mentality of "it's safe because it's not me" or "I don't
care because it's happening far away from here".

We NEED Torontonians to actively make the connection to their every day lives in Canada, we want to inspire a dialogue between two disconnected worlds, we NEED to interact and engage with the world outside of Canada.

Please confirm you will participate by writing to: lina.rodri@gmail.com

Bring a white sheet if you have one! If you don't, just let us know and we will bring one for you.

TAKE ACTION!

bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 24 August 2006 09:50 AM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
writer, thanks for posting this. I'll pass this on, and I'll try to be there.
From: It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent - Q | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
writer
editor emeritus
Babbler # 2513

posted 24 August 2006 10:09 AM      Profile for writer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll be out of town, unfortunately.
otter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12062

posted 24 August 2006 11:47 AM      Profile for otter        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think this issue is related to the fact that Free Trade has meant the creation of 'special' areas in Mexico where things like labour laws or environemntal concerns are not applicable. In essence, these are now 'outlaw' ares where anything goes as long as you can get away with it. Therefore, the women that are forced to work in these special zones due to the poverty of their existence become targets for every ruthless predator out there.
From: agent provocateur inc. | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 24 August 2006 11:59 AM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Background info from Wikipedia
From: One millihelen: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca