babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » activism   » If anyone's gonna be near Kentucky at the end of August...

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: If anyone's gonna be near Kentucky at the end of August...
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 11 August 2006 04:34 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just got this by e-mail:

quote:
Teen Environmentalists of Kentucky
730 Aurora Ave., Lexington, KY 40502
Phone: 859-253-9467 Just.Wanna.Jump@gmail.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Young environmentalists host benefit concert for a ‘mountainous’ cause

Lexington, KY--July 11, 2006—Teen Environmentalists of KY (TEK) is hosting the Second Annual Earth Rock; a mountaintop removal awareness concert. On August 26, 2006 at 5:00 pm, the Horse Park campground pavilion will hold this benefit concert to support two motivated organizations: Teen Environmentalists of Kentucky and Kentuckians For The Commonwealth. Live music, street performers, art, information, a picnic, a camp-out, and a warm smile from local environmentalists is what every attendee will experience first-hand.

Organizations like Sierra Club, Sludge Safety, Kentuckians for the Commonwealth, Kentucky Heartwood, and many others will be tabling and teaching everyone about the disastrous practices of Mountaintop Removal. Not only are there catastrophic health and environmental effects, Appalachian economy is growing worse. According to the bureau of labor statistics, in the early 1950’s there were between 125,000 and 145,000 miners employed in West Virginia; in 2004 there were just over 16,000. During that time, coal production has increased.

This benefit concert is put together by a crowd whose voice hasn’t been heard much around Kentucky - Teen Environmentalists of Kentucky. TEK has been building upon the simple idea that there are teens in this world who care about keeping their environment healthy and pollution-free, but aren’t given a chance to let the public know their points of view.

“I realized that people like me, being under eighteen, middle-class, and unable to vote are left stranded on environmental issues,” says April Edwards, president of TEK. “We have no way to tell people what we think and feel. Sometimes that makes us look calloused and unconcerned. I wanted to disprove that theory by helping others like me find a voice.”

TEK also wants to raise money for Kentuckian’s For The Commonwealth. KFTC focuses on a wide variety of social, economic and political issues to create a just society. One of their main efforts is to protect Appalachia’s beautiful mountains from being destroyed by mountaintop removal. That’s a cause worth supporting with a benefit concert.

The dedicated bands include Chris Clavin’s band, Ghost Mice; Appalachian Terror Unit; Paul Baribeau from Riot Folk; JZ from the elephants; The Zero Element; Narwhal Soup; Four; Goldstein; Leave Blood for the Sharks, and more TBA. Exhibits by local artists and tunes from local and national musicians dedicated to the cause should be reasons enough to attend ‘Earth Rock’, but for those with a heart set on environmental justice, the cause runs deeper.

The Horse Park campground pavilion is located on 4089 Iron Works Parkway in Lexington, Kentucky, and for directions visit www.kyhorsepark.com. $10 donations will be taken at the entrance to the pavilion.
TEK is encouraging everyone to rent a campsite for that night to keep the party going! Primitive camp sites are $18. Visit www.reserveamerica.com or call 888.459.7275 for reservations.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca