babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » environmental justice   » Friend or Foe. Michael Crichton?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Friend or Foe. Michael Crichton?
bliter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14536

posted 29 December 2007 04:28 PM      Profile for bliter   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Have just finished Michael Crichton's State of Fear on disc. This popular author giving sustenance to the environmental "junk science" crowd is really disturbing, less for the story than for his epilogue in which it seems he would have us believe that it doesn't matter what the hell we're driving:

ETA

Edited to remove side-scrolling URL.

[ 29 December 2007: Message edited by: bliter ]

Catchfire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4019

posted 29 December 2007 04:40 PM      Profile for Catchfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Foe. Without a shadow of a raptor, a foe.
From: On the heather | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 29 December 2007 04:53 PM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Crichton's grasp of science has never been great. He's a popularizer, not a conceptual writer - which is why his screenplays are better than his books.
bliter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14536

posted 29 December 2007 05:09 PM      Profile for bliter   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A review with, I hope, a shorter URL:

http://tinyurl.com/38q9kr

{edited by moderator [who is on vacation btw]: let's give taming that monster URL one more try }

[ 29 December 2007: Message edited by: oldgoat ]

bliter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14536

posted 29 December 2007 09:31 PM      Profile for bliter   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bliter:
A review with, I hope, a shorter URL:

http://tinyurl.com/38q9kr

{edited by moderator [who is on vacation btw]: let's give taming that monster URL one more try }

[ 29 December 2007: Message edited by: oldgoat ]

Thanks for that, oldgoat. I don't know why it is that I can use the italics and bold
below, but have problems with the URL shortening aid. A step=by-step would sure help. (laptop Mac OS X)

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 30 December 2007 05:05 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This might help!

(From another moderator who's also on vacation, but that's okay, anything for shorter URLs! )

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Polunatic2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12238

posted 30 December 2007 06:29 AM      Profile for Polunatic2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
While I often disagree with some of Crichton's premises and politics, I do enjoy reading his books. The guy does do his homework. Haven't read "State of Fear".

Plausible pseudo-science for the scientifically challenged (like me).

[ 30 December 2007: Message edited by: Polunatic2 ]

Makwa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10724

posted 30 December 2007 10:16 AM      Profile for Makwa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Polunatic2:
While I often disagree with some of Crichton's premises and politics, I do enjoy reading his books. The guy does do his homework. Haven't read "State of Fear".
Crichton is a fun read, but "State of Fear" was the silliest book by this writer I have read (and I am sure I have read most of his books) since that one where Michael Douglas gets jumped by his attractive yet narsty boss (the horror the horror) and has to go into a 'virtual' universe to get his virginity back with the help of a virtual IT angel on his shoulder.

It's literally about 'eco-terrists'. Bleh. I prefer nanobots who become bad peoples, or bald robot cowboy theme parks, or... gosh, most of his books are really stupid, now I think of it, although I still get teary for the monkey in the Andromeda Strain (even if you can see the reflection of the vet running with the oxygen on the stainless steel wall).

From: Here at the glass - all the usual problems, the habitual farce | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca