babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » walking the talk   » environmental justice   » Massive wind project in the works

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Massive wind project in the works
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 31 May 2006 07:26 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wind project planned in lake

A Toronto company wants to erect more than 140 massive wind turbines down the middle of Lake Ontario in what would become the largest wind farm in North America.

Trillium Power Energy Corp. told the Toronto Star that it is in the process of getting government approvals for a 710-megawatt project, called Trillium Power Wind 1, which at full output would provide enough clean electricity to power more than 200,000 homes.

- snip -

Only 122 megawatts of wind-generated power exists in the province today, but the Ontario Power Authority has signed contracts for 1,300 megawatts.

Robert Hornung, president of the Canadian Wind Energy Association, said Canada is just scratching the surface of its wind-energy potential, even though wind is expected to account for nearly 20 per cent of new electricity generation between now and 2015.

By 2015, Canada is expected to have 9,000 megawatts of installed wind generation, which would be about 3 per cent of the country's total capacity. "Canada's starting pretty far behind a lot of other countries, and even with the type of growth that I'm talking about, Canada will move maybe to the middle of the pack," Hornung said.

From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Webgear
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9443

posted 31 May 2006 07:40 AM      Profile for Webgear     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am very impressed with the Melancthon Wind Farm project near Shelbourne, Ontario. The farm is set up in a nice way and has done little damage to the forests and farms in the area.

I am planning on buying a farm in the area and I was afraid that this wind farm project would limit my chances at buying a decent farm however it in fact has improved my chances.

From: Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 31 May 2006 08:36 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Which part of the province is Shelbourne in? I can't place it.
Webgear
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9443

posted 31 May 2006 08:42 AM      Profile for Webgear     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Location of Shelburne, Ontario

The wind farms are about 15km to the west of the town.

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 31 May 2006 08:49 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I see Steeles Ave on your map, so is that part of Toronto?
Webgear
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9443

posted 31 May 2006 09:06 AM      Profile for Webgear     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry, the link did not work as well as I thought it would have.

You need to zoom out on that link.

Or try this map.

Google Map of Shelburne

Here is some info on the project.

MELANCTHON WIND PROJECT

Ok, none of my links are working. Shellburne is about 100kms north west of Toronto. It is on Hwy 89 and Hwy 10.

[ 31 May 2006: Message edited by: Webgear ]

N.R.KISSED
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1258

posted 31 May 2006 09:10 AM      Profile for N.R.KISSED     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Shelbourne is about 2 hrs North of Toronto and about 1/2 hour south of Owen Sound.
From: Republic of Parkdale | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wilf Day
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3276

posted 31 May 2006 09:46 AM      Profile for Wilf Day     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by N.R.KISSED:
Shelbourne is about 2 hrs North of Toronto and about 1/2 hour south of Owen Sound.

Actually it's 1 hour 24 minutes from Downtown Toronto, and 1 hour 25 minutes from Owen Sound, says Mapquest.

From: Port Hope, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Noise
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12603

posted 31 May 2006 09:59 AM      Profile for Noise     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is very uplifting... Alot of these projects tend to ignore the impact on the environment, but in this case it's nice to see they are doing the pre-research as far as the impact of harvesting wind would be:

quote:
Kourtoff said the turbine bases would help support aquatic life, since fish and other water species tend to cluster and find sanctuary around underwater objects. The shallow waters also mean there is no danger of large ships hitting the structures.

Studies done so far indicate that the turbines would not conflict with the flight paths of birds. "There are no flyways, no aviary issues," Kourtoff said.

From: Protest is Patriotism | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 31 May 2006 12:46 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wind Turbines and Birds

Studies at more recently designed wind farms tell us that bird mortality at windmills is very low. A summary indicates that the average number of birds killed annually across North America is between one and two per turbine.
Arguably the best of the intensive studies was carried out by Canadian Ross James. His year-long field work at a Toronto wind turbine sited in the
middle of a fall migration route turned up three birds killed. He also watched birds change course to avoid the turbine blades, an observation
shared by many other observers. His final conclusion: "The greatest threat to all wildlife is still loss and/or degradation of habitat."

- snip -

There is clearly a trade-off here but I believe that a cost-benefit analysis comes down on the side of the wind turbines. I join my birding colleagues in their concern for the death or injury of any bird, but I suggest that wind
turbines represent the least of their worries.
For example, a single feral cat kills more birds in a week than the average wind turbine kills in over three years.-- Gerry Rising

Noise
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12603

posted 31 May 2006 01:39 PM      Profile for Noise     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey, I gotta love seeing info like that. Thanks for the link Boom.

quote:
Fortunately birds simply avoid the blades of the newer wind turbines.

So the window remains the undisputed man-made hazard for bird

From: Protest is Patriotism | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Flash Walken
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11223

posted 31 May 2006 03:58 PM      Profile for Flash Walken     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Noise:
Hey, I gotta love seeing info like that. Thanks for the link Boom.

So the window remains the undisputed man-made hazard for bird

agent orange is right up there aswell.

Webgear
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9443

posted 31 May 2006 07:20 PM      Profile for Webgear     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would like to see Melancthon Wind Farm project increased if possible. I believe this project is good for local farmers, villages and hamlets in the area becuase it will stop the more cottages being built and the destruction of farm lands.
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 31 May 2006 07:28 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As I said on another thread, this is a huge country, and, in addition to that, there's really no reason to intrude further on necessary farm land. I think developers are greedy, and bylaws have to be enacted to say enough is enough when it comes to developing. Move north a bit, no reason to keep all development in the south of the country.

A good reason to oppose Harpoon's coveted 'property rights' agenda is to keep control over development. Don't need more Toronto's in this country.

Bubbles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3787

posted 31 May 2006 08:14 PM      Profile for Bubbles        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hopefully we will not have a winter with large, hard, wind powered ice pans driving across Lake Ontario. It could be a spectacular sight to see them slam into 140 wind towers.

To bad they are not placing them off-shore from Toronto. On these hot muggy days they could use them as fans to blow away all that hot air from Bay street.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 05 February 2007 01:47 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm resurrecting this thread because I found an interesting article about some of the issues around wind farms from my home town.

I find it interesting that the people debating this issue are all on the side of environmental protection and green energy - but there are obviously some kinks to work out when it comes to new technology and how it will affect the community and the ecosystem.

Wind farm suffers setback

quote:
Though she’s not against the project in general, McDermott isn’t satisfied with the current setbacks.

She was thrilled when she first heard a wind farm was proposed for Wolfe Island, but the more she learned about how it was to be built, the more she became concerned about how the turbines would affect life on the island.

“It’s such a hard battle because nobody wants to be against green [energy],” she said. “But, at the same time, there’s so much to consider. If we’re taking on such a large project, it has to be scrutinized.”

The island, 35 kilometres long and about 10 km wide, is composed mostly of agricultural land. The rural community has a population of roughly 1,200 in the winter and has little more than a small grocery store, two restaurants, two schools, the town office and a post office.

McDermott also said the timing of the passing of the bylaw was premature because the environmental screening report, which includes a noise assessment and a plan of where the turbines will be located, hadn’t yet been completed for public viewing.

The report, completed by a consultant for Canadian Hydro Developers Inc., is expected to be done in the coming weeks and will be available for public comment.

The document has to be submitted to the province for approval.

Dr. Day’s appeal focuses on the protection of ecological systems and the conservation and management of national resources on the island.

He takes issue with the fact that the current zoning bylaw doesn’t include a minimum setback from wetlands, wood lots or environmentally sensitive areas.

Since the early 1970s, the doctor has been buying and enhancing wetland properties on Wolfe Island. He has been a steward of a special project designed to protect native waterfowl, including Mallards, Black Ducks, Pintails, Green Winged Teal Wood Ducks, Canada Geese and Snow Geese.

He has created hedge rows along the boundaries of his properties, which act as a corridor for wildlife species for both protective cover and food supply. His efforts, according to his appeal, have resulted in increased populations of birds that fly more regularly over the island.

He would like to see more in the bylaw to protect the bird habitat.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Webgear
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9443

posted 05 October 2008 08:02 PM      Profile for Webgear     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wind turbines cause health problems, residents say

"Windmills may be an environmentally friendly alternative energy source but they also cause debilitating health problems, say people who live near them....

But some residents who live near wind farms complain the turbines cause a number of adverse health effects, such as crippling headaches, nose bleeds and a constant ringing in the ears."

I hope there is another reason for these health problems. I have supported this project for a long time.

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 05 October 2008 08:14 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought modern wind turbines were almost completely silent.
Webgear
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9443

posted 05 October 2008 08:27 PM      Profile for Webgear     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Melancthon Windmills are very quiet however not completely silent.
ElizaQ
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9355

posted 05 October 2008 09:14 PM      Profile for ElizaQ     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Webgear:
Wind turbines cause health problems, residents say

"Windmills may be an environmentally friendly alternative energy source but they also cause debilitating health problems, say people who live near them....

But some residents who live near wind farms complain the turbines cause a number of adverse health effects, such as crippling headaches, nose bleeds and a constant ringing in the ears."

I hope there is another reason for these health problems. I have supported this project for a long time.

My parents live within the boundries of a new project, they don't have any problems but a neighbor that lives on the next concession is. She has had to be moved out of her house. From what can be determined so far is that there may be an issue with the electrical line coming from the nearby tower that runs by the house. The company is apparently being really cooperative and are working at determining exactly what the issue is. Her symptoms are headaches, fatigue, fainting and generally feeling ill and they all disappeared after a week of being away from the house.

What's interesting though is that when my Dad was talking to her husband he didn't seem to be that upset about it. He's a pretty laid back guy in general. He said, well we both know this stuff is pretty new and there's kinks that have to be worked out so yeah it's a pain but it'll work out. When my Dad asked what will happen if they can't fix whatever the problem is the guy said, 'Well the company will just have to own my house and we'll get another one."

From: Eastern Lakes | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
fischerville
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15483

posted 06 October 2008 11:16 AM      Profile for fischerville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Check out these airborne wind turbines. Made by a company in Ottawa. Not sure if they're deployed anywhere yet.
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 06 October 2008 11:49 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks weird. Wonder if it could survive a bad storm.
fischerville
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15483

posted 06 October 2008 11:55 AM      Profile for fischerville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
it can survive pretty high winds (28 meters per second), but it has the benefit that you can pull it down when a bad storm is expected.
fischerville
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15483

posted 06 October 2008 11:57 AM      Profile for fischerville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
the FAQ says they're aiming to price the generator at "$3 dollars to $5 dollars per watt". Not sure how that compares to other wind generators....

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca