FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » culture   » Truly, TV's Tawdriest Hour

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Truly, TV's Tawdriest Hour
jrose
babble intern
Babbler # 13401

posted 03 March 2008 05:21 AM      Profile for jrose     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fox's 'Moment of Truth' takes the game show to new abysses.

Has anyone else seen this show?

quote:
Television is not like an elevator shaft. Fall down an elevator shaft and you know roughly when you'll hit the bottom. Television is different. You can fall forever as the bottom drops along with you. Particularly if your chosen shaft is the Fox Network.

New to the Fox stable: Moment of Truth, a game show where contestants are connected to lie detectors. With their families present they are then asked questions of a personal nature. Truthful answers earn escalating sums of money -- one false answer wipes out everything. The show has already been popular around the world, notably in Colombia. There the show was taken off the air after a woman confessed on air to having hired a hit man to try to kill her husband. Said the Fox Network: "Hello!"

Fox's version of the show started out just as they might have hoped. Frank Cleri sat and watched his wife Lauren answer questions about their marriage. Each truthful answer led to more cash. Forget about The Newlywed Game's "What-is-your-husband's-favourite-body-part"-type questions. Moment of Truth questions included: "Were you in love with another man on your wedding day?"

Naturally the answer to that one was yes -- earning the couple a possible $100,000! Money for you two crazy kids to start your lives together!

It's like slowing down to watch the aftermath of a car crash.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 03 March 2008 05:24 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I caught either the tail end of that show or a commercial for it while channel surfing the other day. All I can say is - wow.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Catchfire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4019

posted 03 March 2008 05:57 AM      Profile for Catchfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Still a step up from The Swan.
From: On the heather | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 03 March 2008 06:04 AM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
P.T. Barnum: "There's a sucker born every minute."
From: Vancouver Island | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Catchfire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4019

posted 03 March 2008 06:19 AM      Profile for Catchfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great article, btw, jrose.

quote:
Host Mark Wahlberg presided as though he was a documentary filmmaker who had stumbled upon this sorry scene by accident. "This is a little bigger than the game right now," said the host of that very game. "I wonder if the $100,000 is worth it considering what we're doing here."

His sad face seemed to ask: "How could this terrible thing have happened?"

[...]

"I wish them all the very best," Wahlberg intoned. And before the lie detector could answer, the show was over.

Ha!

[ 03 March 2008: Message edited by: Catchfire ]

From: On the heather | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 03 March 2008 06:23 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the snark is awesome:

quote:
Moment of Truth led into commercial breaks with cliffhangers, then followed the break by repeating as much as two minutes of the preceding sequence. It's great for people who get so caught up in the Charmin ads that they forget everything they once knew.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
martin dufresne
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11463

posted 03 March 2008 08:52 AM      Profile for martin dufresne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can't wait for the This Hour Has 22 Minutes version, featuring politicians!
"Come Clean and Get Re-elected. Nobody Gives a Damn if You're a Liar and a Thief" as long as you have the press in your well-lined bood-soaked pocket.

From: "Words Matter" (Mackinnon) | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
ElizaQ
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9355

posted 03 March 2008 01:05 PM      Profile for ElizaQ     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I saw the last couple of minutes of this show when I was channel flipping and waiting for the next show to start.
The question was... "Do you think you are a good person?" Something like that...
The woman I guess struggled a bit and answered yes. The detector said that was a lie.
So yeah...I guess she lost all her money and the host said some wise psycho babble stuff to her about searching her inner self about why it came out as a lie...everyone looked sad. She seemed quite upset and said something about how she considered herself a good person so she didn't understand why it came out like that. She looked sad, confused and embarassed. The host said something to her husband along the same lines of psycho babble and he looked sad...and then the show was over.

I sat there going, "Now what the heck was that all about?" It boggles.

From: Eastern Lakes | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
mary123
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6125

posted 03 March 2008 03:25 PM      Profile for mary123     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yup I watched it also (while doing work on the computer I was multitasking yeah that's it!!!) And I just knew that they would trick her with an esoteric type question such as "Are you a good person"? She was acing all the black and white questions factual based answers about her soap opera life.

Many people are lusting to get on tv and get fame and fortune and live the "glamorous Hollywood lifestyle". Is it any wonder some people will reveal their most intimate details at a shot at the Hollywood lifestyle? Anything goes welcome to Hollywood.

From: ~~Canada - still God's greatest creation on the face of the earth~~ | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
laine lowe
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13668

posted 03 March 2008 06:00 PM      Profile for laine lowe     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The TV host Mark L. Walberg should not be confused with Mark Wahlberg the actor (and formerly Marky Mark the rapper).

I was astonished to think that after his brilliant turn in Scorcese's The Departed, he had no other options but to host a train wreck game show on Fox.

Mark L. Walberg on the other hand:

quote:
...[H]e was the host on the game shows: Temptation Island, Free 4 All, The Big Date, Russian Roulette, and On The Cover, as well as a short lived, self-titled talk show (Mark Walberg) that aired for one season from 1995-1996 [1].

Before hosting game shows, Walberg's first television exposure was also an original announcer and lovable sidekick to Pat Finn on the long-running TV series Shop 'Til You Drop from 1991 to 1994...

Wiki entry

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 04 March 2008 03:46 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that's kind of dirty pool, isn't it, using questions that have no "yes" or "no" answer at the very end so that, after people are completely honest in front of their families, and possibly destroy their relationships, they still don't get the payoff.

As far as I'm concerned after hearing that, the game is rigged. Sure, it's trash to begin with, but if people are going to play your game, you should at least make it fair and give people the reward they deserve if they answer all your intrusive questions truthfully. Any emotional reaction (which this "are you a good person" was clearly trying to encourage) would come across as a change in pulse and reaction.

Of course, that's why lie detectors are not reliable. I think it would be fun to get someone on there who knows how to "beat the test" (apparently you can learn how to do that) who takes all their money after lying through their teeth. And then publicizes afterwards that they lied through their teeth and beat the test.

Ghislaine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14957

posted 04 March 2008 04:01 AM      Profile for Ghislaine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by laine lowe:
The TV host Mark L. Walberg should not be confused with Mark Wahlberg the actor (and formerly Marky Mark the rapper).

I was astonished to think that after his brilliant turn in Scorcese's The Departed, he had no other options but to host a train wreck game show on Fox.

Mark L. Walberg on the other hand:

Wiki entry

Thank you for that! I loved Wahlberg in

The Departed and was reading this thread wondering why the hell he'd lower himself to this show.

Michelle: I love your idea!

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca