FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » culture   » NHL trading deadline

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: NHL trading deadline
Geneva
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3808

posted 26 February 2008 11:10 AM      Profile for Geneva     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
sorry for bringing in pro sports,
but I am obsessed by all this:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/nhl/

Sundin, Forsberg, Richards, Huet, Fedorov, Prospal, Hossa -- lots on the move (and not)

and,
how the hell do you figure Bob Gainey's mind ?????

(PS still time if the news comes of a late late deal)

[ 26 February 2008: Message edited by: Geneva ]

Geneva
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3808

posted 26 February 2008 12:58 PM      Profile for Geneva     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
wow wow wow:
http://tinyurl.com/2kk7vn

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- The Pittsburgh Penguins, desperate to add another scorer to Sidney Crosby's line, acquired forward Marian Hossa from Atlanta in a trade Tuesday that sent forwards Colby Armstrong and Eric Christensen to the Thrashers.

[ 26 February 2008: Message edited by: Geneva ]

remind
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6289

posted 26 February 2008 01:00 PM      Profile for remind     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
geneva, you never ever shorten your links,
From: "watching the tide roll away" | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 26 February 2008 01:05 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Geneva, please use the URL function built into the software for your links. If you can't figure out how to use it, use tinyurl to shorten your links.

Thanks!

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
gram swaraj
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11527

posted 26 February 2008 04:19 PM      Profile for gram swaraj   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
YUCK!!!!!

Chris Simon is now in a division with 3 Canadian teams. I don't believe how the NHL even allows this dork to remain in the league.

From wikipedia

quote:
On March 10, (2007)Simon issued a statement in which he apologized to Hollweg and the league and said that there is "absolutely no place in hockey for what I did"...

[and then came the Dec. 15/07 incident with J. Ruutu]
Simon skated in behind Ruutu and pulled Ruutu's leg back with his own. When Ruutu fell to his knees, Simon stepped on the back of Ruutu's right leg with his skate and then went to the bench. Simon was given a match penalty for attempt to injure and ejected from the game.

The following Monday, Simon agreed to go on indefinite paid leave from the team, saying there was "no excuse" for his actions and that he needed some time away from hockey.[8] The next day, Simon was suspended for 30 games, the longest suspension for an on-ice incident in modern NHL history. League disciplinarian Colin Campbell said that in his opinion, Simon had "repeatedly evidence(d) the lack of ability to control his actions," and also stressed that this was his eighth disciplinary hearing.[9]

I'm getting turned off of the NHL here...

[ 26 February 2008: Message edited by: gram swaraj ]

From: mon pays ce n'est pas un pays, c'est la terre | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 26 February 2008 06:41 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hossa

Both Hossas, in fact (Marcel got shipped to Phoenix, along with Al Montoya).

I hope Brandon Bochenski keeps a suitcase packed. Over the past two seasons, he's gone from Ottawa to Chicago to Boston to Anaheim and now to Nashville.

He's still only 25, but already he's on his way to matching Randy Robataille (Boston to Nashville to Los Angeles to Pittsburgh to Long Island to Atlanta to Minnesota to Philadelphia to Long Island again to Ottawa) and Mike Sillinger (Detroit to Anaheim to Vancouver to Philadelphia to Tampa Bay to Miami to Ottawa to Columbus to St. Louis to Nashville to Long Island).

I'm a little surprised to see the Laffs trading Chad Kilger, one of their very few overachievers (and son of a former referee turned Liberal MP). I guess they're going with youth and want to make room for the likes of Newbury and Earl. Oh well, at least he'll have a marginally better chance of playing in May.

The Huet to Washington trade doesn't seem to make sense for either team. I guess Montreal thinks that they can pull another Dryden/Roy-style Cup run on the back of a rookie goalie.

[ 26 February 2008: Message edited by: Scott Piatkowski ]

From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Catchfire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4019

posted 26 February 2008 11:56 PM      Profile for Catchfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was a bit surprised at the Huet trade, but I wouldn't say it doesn't make sense. Huet is not a top-tier starting netminder, although he is talented. His contract is up and with Price coming up they weren't going to sign Huet next year at the salary his ability demands. It makes sense to try to get at least something for him while they could.

Unfortunately, the market didn't seem to want a goaltender, so the price was quite low. The Habs are still in a building phase, so they're not trying to win the Cup this year--their goal is to make the playoffs, and they can do that with Price. Why not throw the boy into the Cup and see what he can do? It worked for Carolina (Ward), Buffalo (Miller), and for Montreal a few years back with a guy whose name I can't remember...

From: On the heather | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Geneva
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3808

posted 27 February 2008 02:30 AM      Profile for Geneva     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
several young guys, actually: Rogie Vachon way back, Ken Dryden, Steve Penney for a while, Patrick Roy ....
Geneva
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3808

posted 27 February 2008 03:01 AM      Profile for Geneva     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by remind:
geneva, you never ever shorten your links,

didn't know I had emerged as the Bad Boy of long URL links, and as an editor always suspicious of anything being "never ever" the case (there is usually some occurrence),

so I went back to my 25 most recent posts, and found 6 URLs (about one quarter) had been shortened at TinyURL.com, and the other 19 URLs averaged about 45 characters;
since one Babble text line on my screen is about 100 characters long, those 45-character URLs do not cause sidescroll - which I thought was the point of the exercise

If every URL has to be shortened, it should be technically obligatory at Babble.

M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 27 February 2008 03:08 AM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geneva:
If every URL has to be shortened, it should be technically obligatory at Babble.
I agree.

From: One millihelen: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 27 February 2008 03:36 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wish it could be. I wish babble would just simply reject long urls (or any words over a certain number of characters). But I can't make it do that and we're still waiting for the redesign, which is hopefully happening in May.

So, that's why people are asked to either use the URL feature or one of the online URL shortening sites.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 27 February 2008 04:57 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I, for one, am glad to see Gill gone from Toronto. He's not very good at the defensive side of playing defense. Which, one might think, is a rather important aspect of the position.

Speaking of, has anyone found a way to install patience/reduce panic in young Coliaccovo? Maybe less coffee pregame?

Sorry about the Leafs content; I will rectify. Did the Pens make a good trade? Erik Christiansen is one of the best shootout performers in the league, which means many extra points in all those tied-after-OT games during the season. Colby Armstrong has the scoring touch, too. Does Hossa's immediate wow impact equal the promise of these two players? Will a Crosby/Hossa/Malkin powerplay score 1,000 goals in the playoffs? Discuss.

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geneva
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3808

posted 27 February 2008 05:03 AM      Profile for Geneva     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Penguins - very exciting, NOW move;
Dallas gets underrated playoff asset in Richards;
but
Habs -- go figure
damned if I can ... getting rid of most experienced goaler heading into playoff scramble, and for what ??

[ 27 February 2008: Message edited by: Geneva ]

Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 27 February 2008 06:00 AM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Briguy:
I, for one, am glad to see Gill gone from Toronto. He's not very good at the defensive side of playing defense. Which, one might think, is a rather important aspect of the position.

Our local sports editor was joking that they had acquired Gill to use as a pylon during practice

quote:
Did the Pens make a good trade? Erik Christiansen is one of the best shootout performers in the league, which means many extra points in all those tied-after-OT games during the season. Colby Armstrong has the scoring touch, too. Does Hossa's immediate wow impact equal the promise of these two players? Will a Crosby/Hossa/Malkin powerplay score 1,000 goals in the playoffs? Discuss.

Christiansen can be virtually invisible during a game, though. Armstrong is a much better all around player. On top of the first round pick, The wild card is young Esposito (no relation). He was hyped as the next big thing a few years ago, but his stock has fallen considerably since then. He's been invited to the World Junior camp and been cut three years in a row. Then again, that's an honour that he shares with Dan Cleary, who has developed into a pretty solid professional.

scooter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5548

posted 27 February 2008 07:46 AM      Profile for scooter     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even more exciting is Citigroup Inc. (the bank) has three new hires!

Edward Kelly Joins as President of Citi Alternative Investments;
Jaime Yordan Joins as Vice Chairman, Global Banking, Latin America;
Armando Diaz Joins as Head of U.S. Institutional Cash Trading

It was a sweet trade getting Yordan from Goldman, Sachs & Co. Poor old Goldman was stuck with nothing more than a few university grads in trade.

http://www.citigroup.com/citigroup/press/2008/080129f.htm

Although they don't make as much as your typical NFL hockey player...this is pretty exciting stuff!

Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 27 February 2008 08:33 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geneva:

Habs -- go figure
damned if I can ... getting rid of most experienced goaler heading into playoff scramble, and for what ??

I'm not sure that Gainey is in control of the Habs' future. Apparently they are well under the salary cap. Liverpool FC fans aren't all that enthusiastic about the way George Gillette and co-owner Tom Hicks have been running their football team and equivalent of the Montreal Canadiens as far as dynasty teams go. Maybe Gillette should sell the Habs to some real capitalists, like Dubai International Capital?

"Come on you Reds!" Liverpool! Liverpool! Go Habs Go!

From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 27 February 2008 01:13 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think that there are copyright issues with posting the entire list, so here goes

quote:
Anaheim traded RW Brandon Bochenski to Nashville for future considerations.

Anaheim traded RW Brandon Segal and a 7th-round pick in the 2008 Entry Draft to Tampa Bay for D Jay Leach.

Atlanta traded RW Marian Hossa and RW Pascal Dupuis to Pittsburgh for RW Colby Armstrong, C Erik Christensen, C Angelo Esposito and Pittsburgh's 1st-round pick in the 2008 Entry Draft.

Atlanta traded LW Alexandre Giroux to Washington for RW Joe Motzko.

Buffalo traded D Brian Campbell and its 7th-round pick in the 2008 Entry Draft to San Jose for RW Steve Bernier and San Jose's 1st-round pick in the 2008 Entry Draft.

Carolina traded LW Andrew Ladd to Chicago for C Tuomo Ruutu.

Chicago traded RW Martin Lapointe to Ottawa for Ottawa's 6th-round pick in the 2008 Entry Draft.

Colorado traded D Karlis Skrastins and its 3rd-round pick in the 2008 Entry Draft to Florida for D Ruslan Salei.

Columbus traded C Sergei Fedorov to Washington for D Ted Ruth.

Columbus traded D Adam Foote to Colorado for a conditional 1st-round pick in the 2008 or 2009 Entry Draft and a conditional 4th-round pick in 2009.

Dallas traded G Mike Smith, C Jeff Halpern, LW Jussi Jokinen and its 4th-round pick in the 2009 Entry Draft to Tampa Bay for C Brad Richards and G Johan Holmqvist.

Los Angeles traded D Brad Stuart to Detroit for Detroit's 2nd-round pick in the 2008 Entry Draft and 4th-round pick in 2009.

Los Angeles traded G J.S. Aubin to Anaheim for a 7th-round pick in the 2008 Entry Draft.

Montreal traded G Cristobal Huet to Washington for Anaheim's 2nd-round pick in the 2009 Entry Draft (previously acquired).

New Jersey traded RW Cam Janssen to St. Louis for D Bryce Salvador.

NY Islanders traded LW Chris Simon to Minnesota for Minnesota's 6th-round pick in the 2008 Entry Draft.

NY Islanders traded D Marc-Andre Bergeron to Anaheim for a 3rd-round pick in the 2008 Entry Draft.

NY Rangers traded G Al Montoya and LW Marcel Hossa to Phoenix for RW Fredrik Sjostrom, G David LeNeveu, LW Josh Gratton and a conditional pick in the 2009 Entry Draft.

St. Louis traded D Christian Backman to NY Rangers for the Rangers' 4th-round pick in the 2008 Entry Draft.

San Jose traded D Rob Davison to NY Islanders for the Islanders' 7th-round pick in the 2008 Entry Draft.

Tampa Bay traded LW Jan Hlavac to Nashville for Nashville's 7th-round pick in the 2008 Entry Draft.

Toronto traded RW Wade Belak to Florida for Florida's 5th-round pick in the 2008 Entry Draft.

Toronto traded LW Chad Kilger to Florida for Florida's 3rd-round pick in the 2008 Entry Draft.

Toronto traded D Hal Gill to Pittsburgh for Pittsburgh's 2nd-round pick in the 2008 Entry Draft and 5th-round pick in 2009.

Vancouver traded LW Matt Cooke to Washington for LW Matt Pettinger.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca