FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » culture   » Daytona 500 consumerism

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Daytona 500 consumerism
rural - Francesca
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14858

posted 17 February 2008 11:32 AM      Profile for rural - Francesca   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[not sure if NASCAR is 'culture' .... ]

Ok son is a fan, so we've had SPEED on for almost 48 hours straight...

There has been a significant emphasis on the 'economy' of NASCAR. They are urging fans to spend spend spend on NASCAR stuff.

There's been suggestion that by embracing NASCAR you're making the auto sector feel good about themselves, despite the decline, and the fact that Toyota is making HUGE in-roads and winning races.

I've watched a lot of NASCAR in my life and I've never seen them push the spending so much.

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 17 February 2008 12:19 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've been to a lot of car races (mostly sports car races) in my life, and my impression is that all automotive race organizers press for fans to spend, spend, spend - maybe it's a way to make themselves feel good, but the bottom line is profits, profits, profits, in a very expensive venue.
From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca