babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » culture   » Fabricating the Muslim Subject: Faith, Identity and Cultural Consumption

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Fabricating the Muslim Subject: Faith, Identity and Cultural Consumption
bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 04 February 2008 10:34 AM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Any Toronto babblers want to go with me to this?

quote:
Fabricating the Muslim Subject: Faith, Identity and Cultural Consumption

A panel discussion at the University of Toronto with:
Reina Lewis (London College of Fashion Design, University of the Arts, London UK)
Jasmine Zine (Sociology, Wilfred Laurier) University of the Arts London)
Ricky Varghese (Sociology and Equity Studies, OISE/UT)
Rinaldo Walcott (Sociology and Equity Studies, OISE/UT)

Date: Thursday, February 28, 2008
Time: 6:00pm - 8:00pm
Location: Koffler Institute for Pharmacy Management, 596 Spadina Ave, Room 108, Toronto, ON (On the University of Toronto Campus)

This event is open to the public. Please invite others to attend.

This panel will discuss contemporary Muslim subject formation and lifestyles in relation to the commodification of cultural and religious markers (like the veil) within Europe and North America.

Presentations will be followed by the chance for discussion.

This event is hosted by Sociology and Equity Studies (SESE), OISE/UT

From: It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent - Q | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Catchfire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4019

posted 07 February 2008 01:52 AM      Profile for Catchfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This sounds fascinating! I'd love to go, but unfortunately geography makes this impossible.
From: On the heather | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 07 February 2008 07:24 AM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll see if I can make that.
From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 26 February 2008 06:51 PM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bump! This Thursday!
From: It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent - Q | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 26 February 2008 08:58 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The elite of the Toronto progressive scene will be there.
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 28 February 2008 07:46 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was cool. Actually, it was academic in the extreem and it took a bit to start getting my head around that type of idiom having been away from it for so long, but it was sort of interesting. I took away a few things useful both for my job and my moderating.

Besides, anything's fun with BCG along. We went to a cool little place for beer'n curry afterward.

Frustrated Mess
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8312

posted 28 February 2008 07:49 PM      Profile for Frustrated Mess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Reina Lewis (London College of Fashion Design, University of the Arts, London UK)

Really?

From: doom without the gloom | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 28 February 2008 07:52 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Really.
bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 28 February 2008 08:24 PM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some notes from the notes I took:

Warning! Academic language will be used! Sorry! It's been a long time since I've heard such language and I can't turn it off!

Reina Lewis: "Marketing Muslim Lifestyles" She's from the U.K. and talked about a plethora of magazines aimed at different Muslim population segments, mostly fashion in content, some aimed at young Muslim women with different stylish hijab designs and stuff. There was a whole visual aspect to most of the presentations which made it slightly less dry than just plain academic. Reina's included covers of the magazines and some of the content and ads.

Jasmine Zine: "Manufacturing Muslim Women" She talked about the creation of the Muslim woman in the West as subject, and how the Muslim woman is constrained on the one hand by religion, piety, modesty and sexism, and on the other by Islamophobia and racism. She talked about how hard it is to talk about the first without activating the second, something that I have struggled with on babble, in the interest of not wanting to reiterate tired Western tropes of the "oppressed Muslim woman". She used the coolest phrase I've ever heard from an academic: secular fundamentalism. Kewl.

Ricky Varghese: "She is not His: Contemplations on the Gendering of Space and Place and the Veil as Critique of Masculinity" He did a cultural critique of both his subject position as a man making a cultural critique, then the critique itself. He examined two scenes from the film "Bombay" in which a Hindu man falls in love with a Muslim woman.

Rinaldo Walcott: "Consume this! Muslim Art in a Post-9-11 World". Rinaldo talked about photo artists and representation of Muslim masculinity in a queer context, including drag, Abu Ghraib, photos of lynching in the US South.

That's the best I can do to summarize, because I don't think you all want to hear me say stuff like "corporeal maladdiction" and "self-orientalized perspective" and "representivity and performativity". Although I have to say tonight reminded me of why I had such a good time in grad school 13 years ago. I'm a closet academic, there I said it!

Afterwards, oldgoat and I worked on solving the world's and babble's problems and I think we got it, but sadly no notes were taken. Damn it!

oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 28 February 2008 08:30 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yup. The world's problems part was easy.
M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 28 February 2008 08:31 PM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bigcitygal:
...secular fundamentalism...
Talk about tired tropes!

From: One millihelen: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
unionist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11323

posted 28 February 2008 08:36 PM      Profile for unionist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
She used the coolest phrase I've ever heard from an academic: secular fundamentalism.

Yeah, sorry BCG, but that's become the watchword for the religious backlash of every stripe. It means anything from "don't fund religious schools" to "get God out of the constitution and the Lord's Prayer out of the legislature and creationism out of science class" to straight-out atheism. Bill Blaikie condemned "secular fundamentalism" when he helped create the NDP's We-Love-God Commission.

The term is about as meaningful as calling someone a "terrorist" or a "dirty bastard".

But I'm tired of complaining about it. I've decided if the shoe fits, wear it. So I'm putting it on, right now.

bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 28 February 2008 08:39 PM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To be clear, I think it's a cool phrase because it describes completely something problematic that's not framed in religious terms. It's a learning for me, so I thought I'd share it.
unionist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11323

posted 28 February 2008 08:43 PM      Profile for unionist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bill Blaikie:

quote:
In my view the reason that the left in Canada was as successful as it was, either in forming governments or in influencing governments, was because Canadians would often hear in what the left was saying the practical expression of what they were hearing in their scriptures and from their church’s teachings. In the current context, this resonance may be more difficult to achieve, but the religious left, or for that matter, the religious centre, must not abandon the public square to a brawl between secular fundamentalists and the religious right.

If you do the math, Canadians can be categorized as follows:

1. Religious left
2. Religious centre
3. Religious right
4. Secular fundamentalists

Really no other choice for poor folks like me, is there?

God, to think I used to admire that man before he announced his impending retirement and started fawning on his Maker.

bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 28 February 2008 08:45 PM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
unionist I think you need to do a groovy chart in excel like in this thread.
unionist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11323

posted 28 February 2008 08:55 PM      Profile for unionist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't I have to write a song first? Something to confront the evil Secular Intercourse with God's Eternal Love?

Wait... I hear the heavenly choir... the angels, the harps... it's coming to me!

quote:
I wonder, wonder who, who-oo-ooh WHO (Who wrote the Book Of Love?)
Tell me, tell me, tell me
Oh, who wrote the Book Of Love?
I've got to know the answer
Was it someone from above?

(Oh, I wonder, wonder who, mmbadoo-ooh, WHO) (Who wrote the Book Of Love?)

I love you darlin'
Baby, you know I do
But I've got to see this Book of Love
Find out why it's true

Whew! Ok, now for the spreadsheet...

bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 28 February 2008 09:04 PM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And when I get that feeling, I want
Textual healing
Textual healing

unionist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11323

posted 28 February 2008 09:09 PM      Profile for unionist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
And when I get that feeling, I want
Textual healing
Textual healing

Score 10-1 for BCG.

Catchfire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4019

posted 06 March 2008 02:40 PM      Profile for Catchfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was wondering what came of this conference. Both Lewis's and Zine's presentations sound like they were wonderful. Would have liked to go!
From: On the heather | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca