FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » culture   » Poetry - Art - Hate

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Poetry - Art - Hate
rural - Francesca
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14858

posted 02 February 2008 07:48 AM      Profile for rural - Francesca   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Art has long skimmed the line between art and (whatever social evil you wish to pick). The beheading poem caused a stir.

So lets discuss poetry, and it's role of walking this line of what is acceptable and what is not. And I offer this, as food for thought.

Hate

I hate you, you hate me
Though our names are
Unknown

Your eyes hold fear
While mine hold fire!
With a smile I watch
As you cower before me

I lower my face by yours
And whisper
'Burn in hell fucker'

With that I press the blade
Against your skin
And rip it open

I close my eyes and
Through back my hand
As your blood flows
And I enjoy the warmth

I don't know who you are
But no one touches my
Friends
Family
Or anyone else for that matter

Now people don't need to
Live in fear anymore
Because you're dead!!

And that
Is the way I like
It

[ 02 February 2008: Message edited by: rural - Francesca ]

bliter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14536

posted 02 February 2008 08:16 AM      Profile for bliter   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hate you, you hate me
Though our names are
Unknown

Assumes the irrational hatred of the other.

I close my eyes and
Through back my head

???

If of military age, looks like the sort of person the U.S. might search for to send to Iraq.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 02 February 2008 08:36 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My thoughts on this are that poetry is a place where you express the full range of human emotions and try to build empathy or make the reader have an experience by painting emotion in words. And I think poetry is an important tool for understanding how people with different (and even repugnant) points of view are feeling and where they're coming from.

So, for instance, that's why I don't have a problem with Eminem's misogynist lyrics. He is an artist, painting a picture of some pretty awful emotions that millions of men have felt at some point or other. It's legitimate art.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rural - Francesca
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14858

posted 02 February 2008 08:45 AM      Profile for rural - Francesca   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bliter:

I close my eyes and
Through back my head

???

If of military age, looks like the sort of person the U.S. might search for to send to Iraq.

I think that's a typo - suppose to be 'hand'

CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 02 February 2008 11:36 AM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
bump!
From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
bliter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14536

posted 02 February 2008 12:11 PM      Profile for bliter   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CMOT Dibbler:
bump!

Sorry. One-word poems never did anything for me.

Bump

In the night

I'll tell ya

quite a fright

But not to worry

I'm alright

rural - Francesca
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14858

posted 02 February 2008 01:56 PM      Profile for rural - Francesca   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Come on - there's got to be some opinons out there on this.....
Webgear
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9443

posted 02 February 2008 01:59 PM      Profile for Webgear     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle:
My thoughts on this are that poetry is a place where you express the full range of human emotions and try to build empathy or make the reader have an experience by painting emotion in words. And I think poetry is an important tool for understanding how people with different (and even repugnant) points of view are feeling and where they're coming from.

So, for instance, that's why I don't have a problem with Eminem's misogynist lyrics. He is an artist, painting a picture of some pretty awful emotions that millions of men have felt at some point or other. It's legitimate art.

I agree with Michelle. There should be no limits.

From: Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
bliter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14536

posted 02 February 2008 05:20 PM      Profile for bliter   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's one I had published in the early '80s. Lots of conflict with Labor at the time, many may recall:

Shiftless bums

They'll brand us, lazy bums
And shiftless
And say we're living
Off of others too
But with more than two million
Workless
Are there over two million jobs
To do?
Indeed there are and more
But we'll not do them
For as surely as the unemployed
Will bleed
Much useful work that screams out
To be started
Will not be done
While profit
Transcends need

rural - Francesca
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14858

posted 03 February 2008 07:27 AM      Profile for rural - Francesca   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The poem was written by my daughter when she was 15. (2005)

I had been drugged and brutally sexually assaulted, and she found poetry the way to focus her rage.

She continued writing poetry after that and was recognized as part of Owen Sound's "Poet of the Month" program that was developed as part of Owen Sound's 150th Homecoming.

Poet of the Month

We did not include any of her "rage" filled poetry in the submission, well because people wouldn't get it.

I had wanted to have this discussion when this thread began, and failed, but I was new and wanted to check with a Moderator first.

rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14443

posted 03 February 2008 07:43 AM      Profile for 1234567     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
damn you, see my grandmother
when you look at me.

silently, she looks seemingly at no one

but, her eyes are saying, "I know who I am!"
"who the fuck are you?"

you can't own what you don't know
you don't know me.

you think you own me because I am silent.
"who the fuck are you?"

you are no one.

From: speak up, even if your voice shakes | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
bliter
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14536

posted 03 February 2008 08:18 AM      Profile for bliter   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Really liked this one, rural-Francesca:

Just Because

Just because I’m different
Don’t call me names
Don’t talk about me behind my back
Don’t stop being my friend

Doesn’t mean I’m a freak
Doesn’t mean I’ll be cruel
Doesn’t mean I don’t have feelings

Doesn’t mean I hate playing games
Doesn’t make me better than you
Doesn’t mean I don’t like candy

Just because I’m different—Let me be me

Christina Dobbyn

I could not paste in the same format as side scroll would have occurred.

One could do worse than have a copy of this displayed in all schools.

edited to show verse separation.

[ 03 February 2008: Message edited by: bliter ]

rural - Francesca
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14858

posted 03 February 2008 11:16 AM      Profile for rural - Francesca   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's one of my favourits too!

I did 3 of her poems as a 'reading' as part of an opening for a day on rural women's poverty. They were all very well recieved, and so relevant.

I'm such a proud mommy

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca