babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » culture   » Premiere of CBC Series "The Border"

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Premiere of CBC Series "The Border"
bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 03 January 2008 03:44 PM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just got a note in my inbox from my network of secret undercover anti racist activists that this series will premiere on Mon Jan 7 and that it seems likely to be highly problematic, xenophobic, et al. If anyone watches it, maybe they can post their thoughts here.

The blurb below, issued from the Canadian Press, already seems to be US-izing issues in ways that don't turn my crank.

quote:

CBC's eagerly anticipated 'The Border' premieres as U.S. shows in reruns

TORONTO - From the initial frames of the slick new CBC show "The Border," it's clear the public broadcaster has entered the big leagues.

With its fast pace, international scope and sleek production values, "The Border" should silence naysayers who gripe that the CBC can't compete with the quality of the American shows that often trounce it in the ratings when they air on rivals CTV and Global.

The show's executive producer - award-winning documentarian Peter Raymont - has called the big-budget show "'24,' but with a conscience."

Every week, a crack team of Canadian immigration and customs agents deal not only with the latest border-security crisis, but also with the
consequences of their actions. Are they rushing to judgment? Are the bad guys really bad guys, or just victims of racial profiling?

In a recent interview, American actress Sofia Milos says the scripts were so strong, and Raymont so convincing about the merits of the project, that she jumped at the chance to play Bianca LaGarda, a Toronto-based U.S. Homeland Security agent.

LaGarda often makes life difficult for her Canadian colleagues as they grapple with a litany of border security issues. In particular, she
clashes with her Canadian counterpart, played by James McGowan, about the American versus Canadian way of investigating suspects and incidents, often ridiculing him for his naivete.

"The characters on the show are often dealing with moral dilemmas, not just political ones, and whether they're doing the right thing," says Milos, of "CSI: Miami" fame.

cbc.ca

[ 03 January 2008: Message edited by: bigcitygal ]

From: It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent - Q | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 03 January 2008 04:31 PM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That "blurb" is actually from a Canadian Press story that appeared in the Toronto Star.

The Globe and Mail also had a recent item about the series.

From: One millihelen: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 03 January 2008 06:48 PM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks M, I'll change the reference.
From: It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent - Q | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
5strings
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2545

posted 07 January 2008 08:23 PM      Profile for 5strings     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good Cop Bad Cop

Is the CBC really sticking its political neck out again with this one?

The first episode’s major plot is decidedly in he left zone of the spectrum and will undoubtedly be voraciously attacked by the Harper Zone. The last fifteen minutes said it all, CSIS, Foreign Affairs, The Attorney General, the PMO for heaven’s sake, the CIA and Homeland Security are, full caps, BAD! Not only is Immigration and Customs, full caps, GOOD they are all great looking so they are, full caps, COOL! But then, as Harper would be quick to point out, it was the Liberals under Chretien that provided the theme for this episode, the ‘Extraordinary Rendition’ of Maher Arar.

Sensationalistic production and dialogue using familiar mainstream media soundbites familiar to most Canadians has been packaged into one hour of hyper-entertainment. From the adrenaline pumping first few minutes to the first commercial after ten minutes we are subjected to guns, human-bombs and hack lines, chase scenes, crowd panic, confusion. CBC is looking for a ratings hit

After the first half hour I am left with the inescapable impression that The Boundary is totally unrealistic; characters, plots, sub-plots, dialogue – Thank God its just TV! In any other context I think I would be living in Bush’s America, turning truth into fiction.

But one achievement, to me anyway, is that the geek on junk food, Hieronymous, has me loopy! What the Hell does Maggin put in those brownies? Speed?

Well somehow, unlike the CBC’s subtle and far more believable, TV series, “Intelligence”, they are looking for the magic quarter mill (that’s half a million eyeballs) and have thrown at us as many hooks in the book as any American show can get into one hour. Where did I read that this was “slick”? Well it is and maybe because it’s done in Toronto whereas “Intelligence” was filmed in Vancouver.

Boiling down the issues to good vs. bad sounds all to familiar as we watch Fox news, rendering us incapable of using our imaginations much will surly dumb us down. Funny, propaganda can do this too but I can only hope not.

martin dufresne
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11463

posted 07 January 2008 09:59 PM      Profile for martin dufresne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good article on ZNet:
quote:
...there is no way that fear, faked threats, celebrating the shredding of civil liberties, ignorance, or propaganda can help. The propaganda of “bad guys” and “evildoers” is itself a tool of war, and the CBC’s new show is such a tool.

ZNet article critical of "The Border" and of J.L. Granatstein's book "Whose War Is It?"

From: "Words Matter" (Mackinnon) | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
M. Spector
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8273

posted 10 January 2008 09:56 PM      Profile for M. Spector   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Another thread on same topic
From: One millihelen: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dana Larsen
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10033

posted 11 January 2008 09:38 PM      Profile for Dana Larsen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe CBC will go for some synergy and do cross-over episodes with "The Border" meets "Little Mosque on the Prairie."
N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 07 March 2008 10:31 PM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This piece of "War on Terra" crap has been renewed. Intelligence, developed by Chris Haddock who did the realistic and award-winning DaVinci's Inquest, was not. Why am I not surprised? CBC renews "The Border" and is without "Intelligence".

[ 07 March 2008: Message edited by: N.Beltov ]

From: Vancouver Island | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca