FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » culture   » 5 best movies of 2007

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: 5 best movies of 2007
Jaku
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14801

posted 29 December 2007 05:56 AM      Profile for Jaku     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
always so subjective ...here are my pics for the 5 best movies of 2007:

1. No Country for Old Men
2. Away From Her
3. Sicko
4. Stardust
5. Juno

Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 29 December 2007 11:44 AM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've seen none of these. I saw Into the Wild and enjoyed it very much, loved Bourne Ultimatum because I'm a sucker for the Bourne films, and killed myself laughing at Superbad. I was Michael Cena's character growing up, for sure.
From: O’ for a good life, we just might have to weaken. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
jrose
babble intern
Babbler # 13401

posted 29 December 2007 12:02 PM      Profile for jrose     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed Away from Her. Just goes to show the potential that Sarah Polley has for the rest of her career in cinema. I'm dying to see Juno, but it's yet to hit theatres in suburbia!
Jaku
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14801

posted 29 December 2007 12:03 PM      Profile for Jaku     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No Country for Old Men is from the coen brothers of fargo fame. it speaks to the depravity of the human soul and the ambiguity between gluttony and love. it probably has the scariest character ever desinged and its impact stays with you for a long time
jrose
babble intern
Babbler # 13401

posted 10 January 2008 05:06 AM      Profile for jrose     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
5. Juno

I finally checked out Juno last night, as it was sold out last Friday when I tried to get in. It was absolute perfection.

Petsy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12553

posted 10 January 2008 01:49 PM      Profile for Petsy        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree jrose. the cast was superb, it was touching without being melodramatic. Lovely.

As for No Country, a tour de force, possibly one of the best pictures in years!!

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 10 January 2008 04:54 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I really loved No Country for Old Men, but it took me a few minutes to get over being pissed off at the ending. It's one of those movies that haunted me for a few days afterwards. It was excellent.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 11 January 2008 03:38 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My top 5 list is a little different:

1. Pan's Labyrinth
2. Away From Her
3. There Will Be Blood
4. Eastern Promises
5. No Country for Old Men

(I kinda like the crime dramas )

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
jrose
babble intern
Babbler # 13401

posted 30 January 2008 06:25 AM      Profile for jrose     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I saw There Will Be Blood two nights ago, and it was wonderful. I thought Daniel Day Lewis was incredible, though I thought the plot and the supporting characters could have used a little boost. Great flick though!
Catchfire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4019

posted 30 January 2008 07:29 AM      Profile for Catchfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No Country For Old Men just came out in the UK last weekend. As a massive Cormac McCarthy and Cohen Bros. fan, I was not disappointed. The cast was superb, the pacing haunting and anxious, with all the brilliance of the original novel retained. Failure, man. It hurts something fierce. You can't even take its measure.
From: On the heather | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
M.Gregus
babble intern
Babbler # 13402

posted 31 January 2008 06:10 AM      Profile for M.Gregus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The film buffs among my friends strongly recommend both There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men, so they are on my list of must see films. Unfortunately, I'm lagging behind on most of the recent to new releases, and just made it to see The Golden Compass last weekend, which was disappointing in comparison to the book.

So far I would include the following on a list of movies I enjoyed in 2007, though I wouldn't say any of them are my absolute favorites:

1. The Orphanage
2. Away From Her
3. Juno
4. Eastern Promises
5. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

From: capital region | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 01 February 2008 06:26 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just saw Juno this weekend. Consider it a replacement for Eastern Promises in my top 5, and deserving of the number 2 spot (I still like Pan's Labyrinth a smidgen more).
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Accidental Altruist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11219

posted 01 February 2008 07:52 AM      Profile for Accidental Altruist   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gonna see Juno today (finally). From what I hear it will make my list.

... but awwwwww! only 5 choices??

Fave flicks from 2007. In alphabetical order:

Eagle vs Shark
Hairspray
Hot Fuzz
Ratatouille
Superbad
You Kill Me

(I know I know... that's 6. I couldn't cut any more!)

... can't wait to see "For The BIBLE Tells me so". It comes to Ottawa later this month.

[ 01 February 2008: Message edited by: Accidental Altruist ]

From: i'm directly under the sun ... ... right .. . . . ... now! | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Accidental Altruist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11219

posted 03 February 2008 08:51 AM      Profile for Accidental Altruist   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
gosh. nobody else went to the movies in 2007?
From: i'm directly under the sun ... ... right .. . . . ... now! | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
sandpiper
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10581

posted 03 February 2008 09:36 AM      Profile for sandpiper     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I try to stay away. But the five movies that ALMOST got me to the theatre in 2007 were:

1. No Country for Old Men
2. There Will Be Blood
3. Away From Her
4. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
5. ... Hmmm... It's really hard to get me to the theatre.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca