babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » culture   » The return of the awful Olympic beret

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: The return of the awful Olympic beret
Snuckles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2764

posted 12 February 2006 03:13 AM      Profile for Snuckles   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
By Julia Turner
Posted Friday, Feb. 10, 2006, at 2:11 PM ET

When the U.S. Olympic Team marches in for tonight's opening ceremonies, snowboarders, curlers, and biathletes alike will be wearing matching berets. Not the traditional black felt number, but something called the "Torino Beret," which is available in red, white, or blue. It's an odd sartorial choice, given that the beret has never been associated with America, Italy, or athletic prowess. The old French men who favor berets are creaky; the beatniks, too languid for sport. Mimes, you might argue, share a subset of theatrical hand gestures with ice dancers, but they seldom work up a sweat.

Nevertheless, the beret has become the official headgear of American Olympians. For this we can blame Canada. Roots, a Canadian apparel company, has been outfitting our team since 2002. At that year's Salt Lake City Games, the company introduced the Roots Team U.S.A. Beret, a dowdy fleece hat with a tight-fitting brim and poufy crown. It was neither attractive nor particularly flattering. But it was a hit. After the hat debuted in the opening ceremony, the Roots boutique in Park City took in $10 million. The proprietor of a Utah flower shop called Roots got so many inquires about the hat that she stopped picking up the phone. All told, Roots sold more than a million of the things.

Read it here.

Jumble
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7453

posted 12 February 2006 11:32 AM      Profile for Jumble     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like berets, but the Torino beret looks more like a pillbox hat version of a beret. Still, in my opinion, the official Canadian Olympic trapper hat is hard to beat when it comes to pure ugliness. It looks goofy.
From: Gatineau (Québec) | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
white rabbit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10751

posted 12 February 2006 11:40 AM      Profile for white rabbit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remember when JFK Jr. wore his beret; it tugs at my heartstrings to picture that. I have a red beret that a friend and Chavez supporter in Venezuela sent me. Problem is, I can't wear it because my hair is so thick.
anne cameron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8045

posted 12 February 2006 11:53 AM      Profile for anne cameron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is there a difference between "beret" and "tam o'shanter"? Because those kilted shaggy-legged Hie'landers with the toorie on their bonnets are far from couch spuds!!
From: tahsis, british columbia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 12 February 2006 12:02 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
anne, I think that berets and tams are very much alike, but one or t'other of them is wider and floppier than t'other. Damned if I can remember now which is which.

After many years of berets, I am thinking of graduating to a cloche next year.

We know what really matters, eh? Hats!

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 12 February 2006 12:07 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Basques, who invented the béret, were no slouches either, anne. Pelote is their most typical game. I like this Basque béret from the "Spanish" side - though no self-respecting Basque sees her or himself first as Spanish or French. Euskadi, the Basque country, is ancient indeed, and its language like no other in Europe.

I like the béret I posted as it is rather large - bitty ones look silly if one has a large head or a lot of hair.

Aren't tam's often in tartan? They are similar to bérets but the shape is a bit different.

Wikipedia tam o'shanter article.

[ 12 February 2006: Message edited by: lagatta ]

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 12 February 2006 12:32 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is a groovy beret, lagatta. As you say, there is nothing worse than a skimpy one. That one looks generous, and also shape-able.

I guess it is the traditional tam that is so floppy. They aren't all in tartan, but they often have tartan headbands, where the beret, if it has a band at all, will have a leather one - like UN berets.

I still feel destined for a cloche.

ephemeral
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8881

posted 12 February 2006 12:36 PM      Profile for ephemeral     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Those are just loverly, skdadl. I should get me one of those too.
From: under a bridge with a laptop | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 12 February 2006 01:03 PM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
None of those hats are sufficiently colourful.
From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 12 February 2006 01:06 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mandos, at least one cloche comes in red or purple.

They are beautiful, but I don't have a head for hats. Always wear big scarves in the winter, nothing otherwise.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 12 February 2006 01:21 PM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Mandos, at least one cloche comes in red or purple.

I will let skdadl respond to this. Paging skdadl!

From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jumble
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7453

posted 12 February 2006 08:17 PM      Profile for Jumble     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I learned a new word: tam o'shanter. It sounds much better than "beret with a pompom".

Cloche hats look really good on some women, but it's impossible to wear them with glasses. The two worn together overpower the face.

Anyway, I hardly think my opinion about hats matters. Mais, c'est mon opinion et je la partage!

[ 12 February 2006: Message edited by: Jumble ]

From: Gatineau (Québec) | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 12 February 2006 08:29 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mandos:

I will let skdadl respond to this. Paging skdadl!

It is true. The Mandos hat is not red OR purple. It is red AND purple ... and a whole lot of other colours all at the same time!

The Mandos hat is ... overwhelming! Some (ie: Mandos) have called it magnificent! Bow down, eh?

FabFabian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7496

posted 13 February 2006 06:12 PM      Profile for FabFabian        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A tam o'shanter has a pompom on top.
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 13 February 2006 06:29 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As opposed to the tam o'shatner, which is a toupe.
Yukoner
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5787

posted 13 February 2006 06:36 PM      Profile for Yukoner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Move along....nothing to see here.

[ 13 February 2006: Message edited by: Yukoner ]

From: Um, The Yukon. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca