babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » culture   » "Curious George" collaborator murdered on eve of movie release

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: "Curious George" collaborator murdered on eve of movie release
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 10 February 2006 07:20 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
(Boynton Beach) A day before "Curious George, The Movie" makes its big screen debut, two men have been charged with killing the collaborator of the books and TV series about the mischievous monkey.

The body of Alan Shalleck was found earlier this week covered with garbage bags on the driveway of his mobile home in a Boynton Beach trailer park.

The 76 year old had been stabbed to death, his home ransacked and jewelry and credit cars were missing. It was also discovered that money had been taken from Shalleck's savings account.

Tracing his final hours police determined he met his killers through a gay sex listing service. Using Shalleck's phone records investigators were led to two Broward County men.

[...]

Despite the success of the books and TV series Shalleck never became famous or rich out of "Curious George". He lived on his Social Security checks and made ends meet doing odd jobs.

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Accidental Altruist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11219

posted 10 February 2006 09:18 AM      Profile for Accidental Altruist   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm conflicted about the other articles about this murder. The detailed coverage in the Sun-Sentinel says:

quote:
Cannon said authorities tracked the Ditto and Puglisi using Shalleck's telephone records.

``They were acquaintances,'' she said.

Cannon declined to elaborate on their relationship with the victim or provide further details of the crime.

I can understand people's right to privacy - but isn't it irresponsible to skip the gay sex directory bit?

If Shalleck had met his killers on a hetero dating site wouldn't this suddenly become a cautionary tale about meeting people from the internet?

It's such a sad story. I feel so bad for Alan Shalleck. For the way he died and for the way his life will get edited and diminished.

From: i'm directly under the sun ... ... right .. . . . ... now! | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca