babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » culture   » "Rebel Without a Cause" -- James Dean's "Brokeback"?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: "Rebel Without a Cause" -- James Dean's "Brokeback"?
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 10 February 2006 06:04 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Studio nixed James Dean & Sal Mineo gay kiss plan in Rebel Without a Cause

quote:
The latest issue of Entertainment Weekly looks back at "Rebel Without a Cause" and reveals that there was a plan for the film to include a kiss between James Dean and Sal Mineo. Warner Brothers, however, wasn't up for it. "While vetting the Rebel script, Warner honcho Steve Trilling made it clear - in writing - that a kiss between Dean and Mineo would not be tolerated."

It didn't stop Director Nicholas Ray from painting the portrait though. He asked asked a teenage Mineo what he wanted most in life. "My driver's license," Mineo said. "Fine," Ray said. Look at Jimmy as if he's your driver's license." Beyond the obvious adoration, the film is chock full of clues regarding Plato's sexual preference too, like the 8x10 glossy of Alan Ladd hanging in his high school locker.

I actually saw this film last year (finally)... I found it dreadfully dated, and the "symbolism" to be crude and heavy-handed. (Or is that just me?)

From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crippled_Newsie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7024

posted 10 February 2006 01:20 PM      Profile for Crippled_Newsie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hephaestion:
I actually saw this film last year (finally)... I found it dreadfully dated, and the "symbolism" to be crude and heavy-handed. (Or is that just me?)

It is certainly dated now, and is--of course-- yet another dead homo story. But when I first saw the picture at 14, I can tell you my heart was racing during every somewhat tender scene between Mineo and Dean.

From: It's all about the thumpa thumpa. | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 10 February 2006 01:25 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He was a cat-lover as well. Here is one pic of his pet Siamese - a gift from Liz Taylor, who always seemed to have a lot of gay male friends. There is a beautiful pic of Dean with the cat, but I didn't happen to turn it up.
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 10 February 2006 03:21 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
heph, you're never crude and heavy-handed.
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 10 February 2006 03:32 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ronb:

Fuck, no!

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 10 February 2006 05:06 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ronb:

And I never have the big budget of a Hollywood movie to play with, either...

Boarsbreath
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9831

posted 11 February 2006 07:12 PM      Profile for Boarsbreath   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Isn't this the one with the bit of Rebel coming home straight to the fridge, picks out milk bottle, drinks from the bottle with the fridge door standing open?

That made an indelible impression on me, meaningless though it seems. (Unless it was to establish his hetero credentials...?)

From: South Seas, ex Montreal | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 11 February 2006 10:24 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boarsbreath:

(Unless it was to establish his hetero credentials...?)

Whaaaaaat??? Gay people don't drink outta the jug?!

Ackshully, I think it was intended to demonstrate that he was a "rebel". The kind who just WILL not use a glass...

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca