babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » culture   » Whither the withering assesment of the Style Council?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Whither the withering assesment of the Style Council?
chester the prairie shark
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6993

posted 08 February 2006 06:22 PM      Profile for chester the prairie shark     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In this Star articleand in threads on babble, i read a resounding thumbs down to The Style Council. Now its been a while, but i remember really liking them. I thought the pop/jazz fusion thing was pretty hip, i know have some of their vinyl in a cupboard somewhere. So why the hate on for the Style Council?

[ 08 February 2006: Message edited by: chester the prairie shark ]

AWd
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11919

posted 08 February 2006 06:31 PM      Profile for AWd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Honestly, I have never heard of Style Council. But if jazz fusion is your thing, check out this Toronto band.

www.pocketdwellers.com

FabFabian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7496

posted 10 February 2006 01:12 AM      Profile for FabFabian        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I loved the Style Council. Most of the criticism of their work is from Jam fans who couldn't get into the musical shift or people who found the music and Paul Weller's involvement in Red Wedge too political for their liking. I love all of Paul Weller's stuff from the Jam to his solo work.

I read that article in the Star with Bob Geldof. So the Boomtown Rats were more successful than the Jam? Ya right, put down the crack pipe Bob. I can name a slew of Jam, Style Council and Paul Weller songs that were hits. Boomtown Rats, I can name "I don't like Mondays" and "Elephant's Graveyard". Wooo.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca