babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » culture   » Toronto International Film Festival

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Toronto International Film Festival
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 31 August 2005 04:44 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This seems to be the link.

I have always tried to avoid the festival, actually, but this year there are two films I know I want to see, so maybe I will think about thinking my way through this, ah, scene.

Has anyone else ever survived it before?

PS: I thought of putting this in the regional forum, but most people there -- everyone but Paul -- are being earnestly political. So, to others who aren't in Toronto, my apologies.

Jesse Hoffman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4903

posted 31 August 2005 05:08 PM      Profile for Jesse Hoffman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wanted to attend really badly this year, but I don't think it's going to work out, organization-wise.

There is loads I want to see though, particularly the Belgian Dardenne's brothers 'L'Enfant', and Michael Haneke's Hidden. David Cronenberg's A History of Violence looks great too, and was filmed only 15 minutes from my house.

But to anyone who might be going, I hope you can catch Ang Lee's Brokeback Mountain (the beautiful trailer can be found
here), which is adapted from Annie Proulx's short story, about two young male ranch-hands who fall in love. It has the distinction of being one of the first gay love stories to come out of Hollywood, and the heart-breaking short story has wonderful cinematic potential.

The co-director of TIFF Noah Cowan saw the film, and I've been told that he was so moved by what he saw that it took him two hours to compose himself after the screening. His write-up about the film can be found here, where he says it is "Destined to be recognized as one of the greatest love stories ever put to film,".

But I'll stop there, because I don't want to over-hype it.

From: Peterborough, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 31 August 2005 08:09 PM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I love the film festival!! Love it!! There are just too many movies to pick from and too many you know you'll never get a chance to see again (given indie film distro etc.)

Yes, I am a TFF freak.

From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
majorvictory64
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7194

posted 03 September 2005 12:38 AM      Profile for majorvictory64     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Amen! TIFF rules!

I dropped off my selections for my day pass tickets at the boxoffice this afternoon - 10 minutes under the deadline. Yay me!

Here, for your consideration, are my first 25 picks (I always submit to temptation and buy a few more):

Takeshis' (JPN) T. Kitano
Sarah Silverman: Jesus Is Magic (USA) L. Lynch
The Devil And Daniel Johnston (USA) J. Feterzeig
Bantieu 13 (FRA) P. Morel
The Sun (RUS) A. Sokurov
Thank You For Smoking (USA) J. Reitman
Shark In The Head (CZE) M. Prochazkova
Les Saignantes (FRA) J. Bekola
The French Guy (CAN) A.M. Fleming
Evil Aliens (UK) J. West
Cache (GER) M. Heneke
Seven Swords (HKG) T. Hark
Entre ses mains (FRA) A. Fontaine
Isolation (IRL) B. O'Brien
The Last Hangman (UK) A. Shergold
Stranded In Canton (USA) W. Eggleston
You Bet Your Life (AUT) A. Svoboda
The Piano Tuner Of Earthquakes (UK) T. & S. Quay
The District! (HUN) A. Gaudet
06/05: The Sixth Of May (NED) T. Van Gough
Fateless (HUN) L. Keltal
Fallen (GER) F. Keleman
The Well (SWE) K. Petri
Sympathy For Lady Vengence (KOR) P. Chan-Wook
Adam's Apples (NED) A.T. Jensen

Try Googling the titles for details. Enjoy!

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 03 September 2005 09:00 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, dear. There's a deadline?

I know that my own link gives me (very complicated) instructions on how to do this, but I was hoping that an experienced person would come along and tell me how, in simplified terms, I just get a ticket or two?

Help?

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 03 September 2005 04:08 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you miss the festival, skdadl, then I think that the indy theatres in town will every so often have a showing of some movie or other from it. Check out the web site of the movie itself (they generally have their own promo sites) to see if and when it will be in town and where it will be playing.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 03 September 2005 04:14 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, it says there that we can order online (yay!) starting on Wednesday, 7 September.

Now, I guess that means that lots will be sold out to those energetic persons who showed up in person at the box office starting last week.

But I'm lazy, and I'm trusting my luck.

Stephen Gordon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4600

posted 03 September 2005 05:31 PM      Profile for Stephen Gordon        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

The film festival is one of the things I miss most about living in Toronto. I used to be one of those hard-core freaks who saw 4 or 5 movies a day, and avoided anything that appeared to be something that was going into general distribution a few weeks later.

Ten days of living on coffee and nanaimo bars ... bliss.

mary123
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6125

posted 03 September 2005 05:42 PM      Profile for mary123     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is so much fun. I've heard that people have met their significant others (and eventually married) while waiting in lines. People also schedule their 2 week vacations to coincide with TIFF. Now those are some hardcore cinemaphiles.

I remeber always seeing the big guy himself Roger Ebert at the showings. The whole event is sooo much fun. I remember crashing a few parties in my time and seeing John Cusack in the elevator.

Ah TIFF memories.

From: ~~Canada - still God's greatest creation on the face of the earth~~ | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mary123
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6125

posted 03 September 2005 05:48 PM      Profile for mary123     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And congratulations to the Toronto International Film Festival for it now surpasses Cannes and Sundance as most influential.

I know English Canadians aren't allowed to brag about things like this cause it's like a mortal sin to brag in Canada but c'mon the best film festival in the whole wide world right here in TO.

La Crème de la Crème.

From: ~~Canada - still God's greatest creation on the face of the earth~~ | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 12 September 2005 03:40 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So is anyone going to anything?

I'm trying to talk myself into something.

Contrarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6477

posted 12 September 2005 03:45 PM      Profile for Contrarian     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Beowulf! Rocks and sea coast and bleak landscapes, hairy people in fur and leather swigging mead from golden cups, fights with fiends (lots of grunting and screaming)... Give your inner berserker a treat!
From: pretty far west | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 12 September 2005 03:56 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Contrarian, the only showing I can go to is at 9 a.m. on Friday -- and no advance tickets. I'm not sure what that means. And ... Beowulf for breakfast?

The other film I really want to see, King's Memory for Max ..., I can only see at 9 a.m. on Thursday. Now, for that, advance tickets are available.

Somebody transport me?

Contrarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6477

posted 12 September 2005 04:11 PM      Profile for Contrarian     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
By the time it was over, it would be nearly lunchtime and you could eat hearty or skip lunch, depending on the film's effects. I hope you get to something; wish I could go.
From: pretty far west | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 February 2006 05:52 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is it just possible that someone taped Allan King's film Memory for Max, Claire, Ida, and company, which ran on TV in these parts on Thursday night, I believe?

If not, if anyone else sees it coming up on a schedule, I would be happy to make arrangements for a tape. Sooner or later ...

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca