FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » culture   » Corn

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Corn
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 03 April 2004 12:19 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, that is not a typo.

I mean sentimental schlock. I mean cliche-drenched, shamelessly manipulative, heart-warming, life-affirming stuff, maybe weepy, maybe knee-slapping, but corn all the same, with a capital K.

Do you have a secret weakness for a song or a movie or a book that you know you shouldn't be falling for, and yet ... ? Confess here. You'll feel better.

I will admit to going gooey over any rendition of This Nearly Was Mine from South Pacific, and I normally hate Rogers and Hammerstein. I rationalize my weakness in this case by remembering that Rossano Brazzi, who mimed the song in the film version, was the most beautiful man who ever lived. What's your excuse?

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 03 April 2004 12:59 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have to admit, I'm a sucker for certain types of chick-flicks. Generally the happy ending romantic drama or romantic comedy types. Tear-jerkers can be fun too if I'm in the right mood. However, I'm not much of a movie critic, really, so I like pretty much any movie that entertains me for an hour or two.

Skdadl, when I was pregnant (and sometimes now if I'm feeling moody for some reason or other), certain commercials would choke me up. You know, the sentimental ones like those long distance commercials, etc. And sometimes (although not as much now as a few years ago), diaper commercials where they have the cute baby shenanigans on them would make me laugh. (Oh, the shame!)

I also like old torch songs, and some of them are about as corny as you can get. Although I can't stand it when the singer talks in the middle of a romantic song. You know what I mean. "Baby...you are everything to me ...you are...my dream... blah blah blah..." My eyes go on automatic roll mode when I hear that.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 03 April 2004 01:44 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm a cornball from a way back.

Check out the film, The Goldwyn Follies sometime. Gosh, but I think it's swell.

While I dig jazz, I also like Mickey Mouse bands such as Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians, especially when Carmen Lombardo sings.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 03 April 2004 02:47 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*ahem*...A Dog of Flanders (the original version), The Colour Purple, Sophie's Choice and...

...can't talk, tearing up.
...and stop laughing at me!

From: Québec/Ontario | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bacchus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4722

posted 03 April 2004 03:09 PM      Profile for Bacchus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*sigh* Titanic

Any B horror film (my favourite is Cemetary man becaus eof the complex layers)

swallow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2659

posted 03 April 2004 03:14 PM      Profile for swallow     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yesterday i bought a Carpenters CD.

Ooh, confession feels so good.

And that's why, all the boys in town, follow you, all around
Just like me, they long to be
Close to yooo.

From: fast-tracked for excommunication | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
stell
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5342

posted 03 April 2004 03:36 PM      Profile for stell     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I mean sentimental schlock. I mean cliche-drenched, shamelessly manipulative, heart-warming, life-affirming stuff, maybe weepy, maybe knee-slapping, but corn all the same, with a capital K.

Any movie with Drew Barrymore: Never Been Kissed, Home Fries, Ever After, The Wedding Singer... they're all of the above. But still adorable, and mindlessly, predictably, entertaining.

Anchoress
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4650

posted 03 April 2004 04:01 PM      Profile for Anchoress     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The song Sonny Boy by Al Jolson - a song (like MacArthur Park) that was written as a joke to prove how gullible the listening public is.

If possible, the Andrews Sisters version made it even more syrupy.

From: Vancouver babblers' meetup July 9 @ Cafe Deux Soleil! | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 03 April 2004 11:01 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
..Ah, Mickey, what a pity you don't understand.
You take me by the heart when you take me by the hand.
Ah, Mickey, you're so pretty can't you understand;
It's guys like you, Mickey...oh what you d...

...oh, my God. Am I humming out loud?

[ 03 April 2004: Message edited by: Hinterland ]

oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 04 April 2004 12:00 AM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Starry, Starry night
Portraits hung in empty halls
Frameless heads on nameless walls
With eyes that watch the world and can't forget
Like the strangers that you've met
The ragged men in ragged clothes
The silver thorn, a bloody rose
Lie crushed and broken on the virgin snow.

Now I think I know
What you tried to say, to me
And how you suffered for your sanity
And how you tried to set them free:
They would not listen; they're not listening still--
Perhaps they never will.

"Vincent" By Don McLean. That's just the last two verses. Always makes me puddle up.

The rest, by the way

[ 04 April 2004: Message edited by: oldgoat ]

From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anchoress
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4650

posted 04 April 2004 01:05 AM      Profile for Anchoress     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Canadian tourism ads really choke me up - the one with the Cape Breton-ish folk music in the background and the one with Jann Arden singing.
From: Vancouver babblers' meetup July 9 @ Cafe Deux Soleil! | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 04 April 2004 04:15 AM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And when no hope was left inside
On that starry, starry night
You took your life as lovers often do
But I could have told you Vincent
This world was never meant for one as beautiful as you

*sniff*

[ 04 April 2004: Message edited by: Hinterland ]

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 04 April 2004 02:47 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
any sucky animal stories ...
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca