FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » culture   » "formative" books

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: "formative" books
redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 27 March 2004 03:54 PM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
by which I would suggest that certain books read when you are young provide a model that shapes character and self-image.
for me it was
The Jungle- Upton Sinclair
On the Beach- Nevil Shute
A Canticle FOR Liebowitz
More Than Human
The Naked Ape
The Grapes of Wrath- Steinbeck
I read all of these when I was between 12 and 14, I'd guess, and i believe they had a profound influence on my value system.
and we didn't have a box in the house limiting imagination and social interaction.

N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 27 March 2004 04:08 PM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At the same age, 12 to 14, I was lucky enough to have a dad that was going to university (UVic) so I would borrow his literary books for a read. Hesse, Thomas Mann, Franz Kafka, James Joyce, etc. And I got my poetic tastes at that age as well..WC Williams, Dylan Thomas, Bill Shakespeare (I couldn't resist!)
But for political stuff ...it was actually Trotsky's 3 volume "History of the Russian Revolution."And that was at a later age, around 19 or 20. Up to that point I thought history was pretty boring...not that I became a Trot, but, old Lev Davidovich Bronstein got me interested...

It would be interesting for babblers to identify what EXPERIENCE radicalized them...so as to help others take the same path (or simply find others that take the same path!)U. S. philosopher Bertell Ollman has a whole chapter in his book, "Alienation: Marx's Concept of Man" about how people get radicalized.

[ 27 March 2004: Message edited by: N.Beltov ]

[ 27 March 2004: Message edited by: N.Beltov ]

From: Vancouver Island | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 27 March 2004 04:21 PM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Twelve to fourteen? I can't remember specifically what I was reading. That's from about grade seven to grade nine? For sure I was tearing through Isaac Asimov. And maybe this is when I read T.H. White's "The Once and Future King", a book that despite the ever present inner war within myself, contantly reminds me of the folly in using might for right.

Perhaps I was reading a bit of Pierre Burton's books at the time, and some other Canadiana. Mowat's "And No Birds Sang" sticks out in my mind; although I might have been older when I first read it.

As a younger reader I had difficulty finding books set Canada. Everthing was so Amerocentric-- and if not, everything seemed so British.

I seem to remember finding and devouring a series of books about a Mountie....and his dog? horse? I forget. I was quite young, six or seven. If that rings a bell with anyone, I'd appreciate the name of the series.

At school I also remember reading a fiction book about the 1837 rebellion in Uppper Canada. I'm tempted to guess "Cue For Treason", but it seems to me that book was set in England, in Shakespeare's time. Whatever the book, I remember it being very influential on my political outlook, so much so I still use the term "Family Compact" to describe tories and liberals.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca