FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » culture   » Best drum solo of all time

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Best drum solo of all time
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 27 March 2004 03:30 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We haven't had a pop music list in...hours!

Sly Dunbar on Black Uhuru's Leaving for Zion.

[ed. from the Tear in Up: Live album.]

[ 27 March 2004: Message edited by: al-Qa'bong ]

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 27 March 2004 04:48 AM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Toss up: Two live performances...

Keith Moon, proving that the legend wasn't all about sex, drugs & depravity. I was heartbroken when he died - and even more heartbroken to hear how badly the band sucked without him. They went from the best live rock band of all time, to another fatuous stadium rock show.

And Sheila E, touring with Prince, proving that women can kick some serious skins. She plays standing up, and I swear she must sweat off 10 pounds a night. Wild, and very, very, very sexy to boot.

windymustang
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4509

posted 27 March 2004 06:14 PM      Profile for windymustang     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jerry Mercer, April Wine. Any live concer when he blows the top off the auditorium or at Classic Rock here in Minnedosa. He just smokes them skins. I'm not to shabby myself, but the marimba is my instrument to wallup.
From: from the locker of Mad Mary Flint | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
West Coast Lefty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3697

posted 27 March 2004 07:15 PM      Profile for West Coast Lefty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As a former drummer myself, I've always been partial to Bun. E. Carlos' intro drum solo to Cheap Trick's version of "Ain't That a Shame" off Live at Budokan (1978). I also like snare drum intros like Steve Gadd's on "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" by Paul Simon or the intro to "5 Years" by David Bowie (the name of the drummer on that track escapes me).

In general, I prefer Charlie Watts/Al Jackson-groove type of drumming as opposed to flashy drum solos. Keith Moon was incredible but he didn't actually do many solos that I'm aware of, he played like a total lunatic but within the song structure. Charlie didn't do solos but he always had the perfect drum patterns to fit Keith's riffs (e.g. "Get off of my Cloud," "Honkey Tonk Women"). Listen to his snare and hi-hat fill after the slow middle part of "Paint It Black" and you'll see why he is the best drummer of the rock era.

From: Victoria, B.C. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
windymustang
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4509

posted 27 March 2004 08:25 PM      Profile for windymustang     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I forgot to say that at the age of 6 I saw Jean Karupa with Lois Armstrong play at the Toronto Ex. WOW! Thus my passion for the skins!
From: from the locker of Mad Mary Flint | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 28 March 2004 02:25 AM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Any solo by Elvin Jones.
From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 28 March 2004 08:57 AM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can't remember the track...but Buddy Rich was pretty impressive as I recall.
I second the choice of Keith Moon, though. The drum work in "Tommy" blew me away at a tender age and made me a Who fan for life. Too bad that when I finally saw them in Vancouver in '79 Moon was already dead.
What about Phil Collins? I'm no drummer, but didn't he innovate by using the drums as the "lead" instrument in some of his work with Genesis?

From: Vancouver Island | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lou Arab
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1114

posted 28 March 2004 10:29 AM      Profile for Lou Arab   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't like most of Ringo Starr's drumming, but I always liked the solo toward the end of side 2 of Abby Road. A great solo. Anyone know if this was Ringo or Paul who did it?

[ 28 March 2004: Message edited by: Lou Arab ]

West Coast Lefty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3697

posted 28 March 2004 01:37 PM      Profile for West Coast Lefty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lou, that was definitely Ringo on Abbey Road. Paul played on "Back in the USSR" and a few other tracks, but Ringo did that solo in "The End." Ringo is underrated in my view, check out his work on "She Said She Said" off Revolver or his tasty snare fills leading into the chorus on "Drive My Car" for proof.
From: Victoria, B.C. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
NP
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 226

posted 28 March 2004 01:55 PM      Profile for NP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Best drum solo is a misleading topic IMHO, because the most fantastic drumming happens when it is in the background. Case in point is Charlie Watts with the Stones. His work on Exile on Main Street is simply perfection.
From: The city that rhymes with fun | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 28 March 2004 02:23 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So start a different thread. This one's on drum solos.
From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 28 March 2004 02:39 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hee hee. No thread drift into drum performances allowed in the drum solos thread!
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 29 March 2004 01:55 AM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let's not forget Clyde Stubblefield's "give the drummer some" break in James Brown's appropriately-titled "Funky Drummer" -- 18 amazing seconds which have been sampled by about 10,000 different hip-hop artists.
From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
mighty brutus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3148

posted 29 March 2004 06:13 PM      Profile for mighty brutus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by beluga2:
Any solo by Elvin Jones.

Yeah, baby! Elvin Jones rules--saw him in Vancouver about 25 years ago at a long-defunct place called "Lucy's Jazz Workshop".

From: Beautiful Burnaby, British Columbia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca