FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » culture   » Ned Kelly

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Ned Kelly
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 26 March 2004 06:32 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was excited to learn that this movie, released last year, will soon be appearing in North American theatres. (IMDB says it's the fifth Ned Kelly movie, counting two TV pictures and an 1906 silent).

Some reservations, though: It's based not on the brilliant Peter Carey novel, but on something called "Our Sunshine," by Robert Drew. (Though perhaps that's no bad thing).

And Ned Kelly is played by Heath Ledger. I don't think I've ever seen one of his movies, just seen trailers for really really dumb-looking ones. What's he like as an actor, anyone?

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 26 March 2004 07:08 PM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
some background
http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/slv/exhibitions/treasures/nedkelly/

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 26 March 2004 07:16 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fascinating. I had no idea that stuff was still around.

Have you read Carey's True History of the Kelly Gang, redshift? The conceit is, it's told by Kelly himself in letters. I don't know what liberties if any he took with the story, but it's a truly great novel.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 26 March 2004 07:30 PM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
there's a transcript of his letter on the site. its a good read.
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 26 March 2004 07:32 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So there is. Thanks, I've bookmarked it!
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 26 March 2004 09:18 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yahoo Serious did a movie about the Kelly gang. I suspect it wasn't meant for history buffs.

Heath Ledger played the son of the main character (Billy Bob Thornton) in Monster's Ball. That oughta earn him some kudos, despite The Patriot, A Knight's Tale, Four Feathers, and other assorted films he's in which I don't care to see.

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca