babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » culture   » The Passion or the Python?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: The Passion or the Python?
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 24 March 2004 06:09 AM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

the trailers will start on good friday ...

quote:
Monty Python's film The Life of Brian is to return to US cinemas next month following the success of The Passion of the Christ. The Biblical satire will be re-released in Los Angeles, New York and other US cities to mark its 25th anniversary.

Distributor Rainbow said it hoped the film would "serve as an antidote to all the hysteria about Mel's movie". Rainbow president Henry Jaglom said: "We decided this is an important time to re-release this film, to provide some counter-programming to The Passion." He said the surviving members of the Monty Python comedy team "all agreed this was a good time" to bring back the film and would help promote it.

From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jimmy Brogan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3290

posted 24 March 2004 07:12 AM      Profile for Jimmy Brogan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Follow the shoe!

From: The right choice - Iggy Thumbscrews for Liberal leader | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 24 March 2004 07:15 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Now now. I think this is a great idea, but let's not pretend the motive is entirely altruistic ("We decided this is an important time to re-release this film, to provide some counter-programming to The Passion.") Now is also a good time to cash in on the current Jesus mania.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
'topherscompy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2248

posted 24 March 2004 08:12 AM      Profile for 'topherscompy        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
what a sandalous move.
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 24 March 2004 11:13 AM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"What the hell is myrrh!?!"
From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 24 March 2004 11:13 AM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder if there are any plans to release The Last Temptation of Christ again. That one was quite a bee in the Catholic bonnet as I recall. Can't watch The Passion when you're too busy picketing The Last Temptation.
From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 24 March 2004 11:32 AM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Always look on the bright side of life."
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 24 March 2004 11:57 AM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
what a sandalous move.

i would say its more sacrilicous.

Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 24 March 2004 01:20 PM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mmmmmmmm...

Sacrilicious.

From: At the Delta of the Alpha and the Omega | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 24 March 2004 03:56 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My absolute favourite scene from Life of Brian is one of the crowd scenes:

Reg, beckoning the crowd: "We're all individuals!"

Crowd, with an eerie zombie-like chant: "We're all individuals."

Lone voice in crowd: "I'm not!"

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 24 March 2004 05:27 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I love this part!

quote:

STAN:
Women have a perfect right to play a part in our movement, Reg.
FRANCIS:
Why are you always on about women, Stan?
STAN:
I want to be one.
REG:
What?
STAN:
I want to be a woman. From now on, I want you all to call me 'Loretta'.
REG:
What?!
LORETTA:
It's my right as a man.
JUDITH:
Well, why do you want to be Loretta, Stan?
LORETTA:
I want to have babies.
REG:
You want to have babies?!
LORETTA:
It's every man's right to have babies if he wants them.
REG:
But... you can't have babies.
LORETTA:
Don't you oppress me.
REG:
I'm not oppressing you, Stan. You haven't got a womb! Where's the foetus going to gestate?! You going to keep it in a box?!
LORETTA:
[crying]
JUDITH:
Here! I-- I've got an idea. Suppose you agree that he can't actually have babies, not having a womb, which is nobody's fault, not even the Romans', but that he can have the right to have babies.
FRANCIS:
Good idea, Judith. We shall fight the oppressors for your right to have babies, brother. Sister. Sorry.
REG:
What's the point?
FRANCIS:
What?
REG:
What's the point of fighting for his right to have babies when he can't have babies?!
FRANCIS:
It is symbolic of our struggle against oppression. REG:
Symbolic of his struggle against reality.

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 24 March 2004 07:00 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 24 March 2004 07:04 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cheeses of Nazareth?
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 24 March 2004 07:09 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Cheeses of Nazareth?

Re: Monty Python recitations: the best take remains that of Not the Nine O'Clock News, Rowan Atkinson solemnly intoning of John Cleese (JC), "When two or three are gathered in his name, they shall perform the Parrot Sketch."

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 25 March 2004 12:49 AM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I love the grammar lesson.
Oh, and "Whatever happened to the Popular Front, Reg?"
"He's over there."

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Obsidian
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5349

posted 01 April 2004 12:37 PM      Profile for Obsidian     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Splitters!
swallow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2659

posted 01 April 2004 06:45 PM      Profile for swallow     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 'lance:

Re: Monty Python recitations: the best take remains that of Not the Nine O'Clock News, Rowan Atkinson solemnly intoning of John Cleese (JC), "When two or three are gathered in his name, they shall perform the Parrot Sketch."

Officiant: It is an ex-parrot.
Omnes: It has ceased to be.

From: fast-tracked for excommunication | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 01 April 2004 08:41 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Brian to mob: You're all individuals.
Mob (in unison): We're all individuals.
lone voice: I'm not!

Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 01 April 2004 08:50 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Has anyone seen Godard's "Hail Mary"?
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 02 April 2004 07:15 AM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
you never know until you try.

"i thought we'd won it," said america quarterback william wyler, who had 447 yards passing to godard's 472.

jean-luc godard tried. forty-eight yards and six seconds later, he became a legend.

godard dropped back, scrambled around for a couple of seconds, belmondo and two other receivers sprinting down the right side of the field toward the end zone, three defenders covering them,

three receivers and three defenders ... bunched together as they arrived at the goal line,

they were at the very edge, it seemed, of godard's range. but belmondo drifted back a couple of yards away from them as the ball sailed toward the pack.

defensive backs marlon brando and charlton heston leaped to deflect the ball -- which sailed over their fingertips and into belmondo's arms.

suddenly, it was france 47, america 45. france didn't kick the extra point. there was no need to. time had expired.

From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 02 April 2004 12:23 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ah. The Immaculate Reception. Left me Breathless.
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 02 April 2004 01:21 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess it was in Godard's playing days that a new form of the Wave appeared in football stadiums.
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca