FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » culture   » a very cool book

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: a very cool book
redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 21 March 2004 08:10 PM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i just bought this and read it over a two day span. i couldn't put it down. history , pre-history, religion, archeology, freemasonry. really interesting and extremely well written.

http://www.grandlodgescotland.com/website/reviews/hiram.html

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 21 March 2004 09:44 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Are you a mason, redshift?
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 21 March 2004 11:21 PM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm an electrician. while we support the mud-trades in their attempts to organize their trade, becoming part of the ruling elite is not a personal ambition.
there's an interesting reverence to the origins of the "mason" appellation in the book.
From the 17th century with the establishment of freemasonry as a means of circumventing the ruling authority, the structure and purpose of the order has come full circle from a nasorean progenitor, and little remains of the proletariot revolt against the Church and inquisition.

Tommy Shanks
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3076

posted 26 March 2004 01:23 PM      Profile for Tommy Shanks     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Recently I read two great biographies, Shakey about Neil Young by Jimmy McDonough and A Lefty's Legacy by Jane Leavy about Sandy Koufax the great Dodger pitcher.

I cannot think of two more, on the surface, dissimilar people yet the themes of integrity, self-assurance, and determination are woven throughout each.

Leavy's book, besides capturing the baseball world of the 50's and 60's on both coasts, also does a remarkable job of placing Koufax and what he represented in Jewish and American history. It especially is strong in relating the circumstances surrounding Koufax's decision not to participate in a World Series game because it fell on Yom Kippur.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca