babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » culture   » Les Invasions Barbares (The Barbarian Invasions)

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Les Invasions Barbares (The Barbarian Invasions)
Skye
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4225

posted 20 March 2004 01:28 PM      Profile for Skye     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Has anyone else here seen this movie? Robbie_D and I just saw it here in Boston last night.

I was wondering if people know anything about Denys Arcand's politics, since he portrayed both public health care and Quebec unions pretty harshly in the first part of the film.

We did still really enjoy the movie, though.

From: where "labor omnia vincit" is the state motto | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 20 March 2004 05:41 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Denys Arcand is famously a-political. He doesn't think he has any answers at all regarding the human condition, but he certainly loves to observe and comment on the ridiculousness of people who think they do.
From: Québec/Ontario | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
weakling willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3260

posted 20 March 2004 07:50 PM      Profile for weakling willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
While possessing little or no expertise on Arcand and his work, I would tend to disagree -- at least the young Arcand of films like On est au coton had pretty clearly drawn political lines.

I saw Robert Schwartzwald, a cultural studies prof from UMass Amherst, give a paper on Les invasions barbares, where he noted the real scandal in the film was Arcand's portrayal of youth -- uncultured, driven by money, or druggies etc.

From: Home of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and Museum | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 20 March 2004 07:59 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What were the political lines drawn on "On est au coton?" Maybe it's a difference of opinion on what "politics" means.
From: Québec/Ontario | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
weakling willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3260

posted 23 March 2004 01:17 PM      Profile for weakling willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Again, I claim no expetise on Arcand and his work. But it seems to me that On est au coton makes pretty clear distinctions along the lines of class struggle. But I would appreciate your illumination on this point Hinterland, since you seem to have thought this through more than me.

Perhaps someone familiar with Arcand's work as a writer for Parti Pris in the late 1960s could enlighten us concerning his politics at that point.

From: Home of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and Museum | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca