FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » culture   » Best War Movie Never Made

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Best War Movie Never Made
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 19 March 2004 09:34 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mine is: Vietnam

This heartbreaking yet inspiring film follows the lives a Vietnamese family torn apart by the Vietnam war. Amercans are almost invisible in the film, seen from far away while they ride their helicopter gunships or as vague murky figures in the darkness, or not at all as B52's randomly drop bombs on villages.

Any others?

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 19 March 2004 09:38 AM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mine is: Dresden

The film follows the life of a German family whose entire town is destroyed by massive Allied bombing in WW2.

From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 19 March 2004 09:54 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The English Civil War:

Focusing on a family split between the Royalist and Parlementarian factions, this film both deconstructs the 'romance' of battle, while providing as subtext a critique of current religious and political posturing by world leaders.

From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
swirrlygrrl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2170

posted 19 March 2004 10:26 AM      Profile for swirrlygrrl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Er, I don't know if this is what this thread is about, but I'd love to see someone do "The Wars" by Timothy Findlay (yeah, I know, can swirrly just stop talking about The Wars for once??)

Something on Dresden would be great too (I doubt I'd even know about it if it weren't for Kurt Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse 5").

From: the bushes outside your house | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 19 March 2004 10:57 AM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Class War II - This Time It's Personal" follows Sgt. John Clarke (Sean Penn) and his ragtag brigade of misfits and mercenaries as they take the battle to the streets, culminating in a lavisly filmed battle sequence wherein they attempt to lay seige to Das Queenspark Castle and its evil Nazi ruler, Herr Herris (Willem Dafoe). Outmanned, outgunned, and armed only with what they can cobble together, the unit has to pull together, and in the process learn about leadership, life, and the nature of friendship"
From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 19 March 2004 11:03 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like the Dresden idea, and nominally Slaughterhouse Five is about Dresden, according to Vonnegut.

Your film might revolve around the small remaining group of Jews who lived in Dresden to the end of the war (mixed marriages.) Many escaped after the bombing because the Gestapo headquarters burned, and they took of their Yellow triangles and fled with the other refugees.

A really good film about the bombing of Germany and the impact of the war on everyday Germans was the film Deutschland bleiche Mutter (Germany Pale Mother.)
Review

The tile is from a poem by Brecht:

Germany Pale Mother

'Let others speak of her shame
I speak of my own.'

O Germany, pale mother!
How soiled you are
As you sit among the peoples.
You flaunt yourself
Among the besmirched.

The poorest of your sons
Lies struck down.
When his hunger was great.
Your other sons
Raised their hands against him.
This is notorious.

With their hands thus raised,
Raised against their brother,
They march insolently around you
And laugh in your face.
This is well known.

In your house
Lies are roared aloud.
But the truth
Must be silent.
Is it so?

Why do the oppressors praise you everywhere,
The oppressed accuse you?
The plundered
Point to you with their fingers, but
The plunderer praises the system
That was invented in your house!

Whereupon everyone sees you
Hiding the hem of your mantle which is bloody
With the blood
Of your best sons.

Hearing the harangues which echo from your house,
men laugh.
But whoever sees you reaches for a knife
As at the approach of a robber.

O Germany, pale mother!
How have your sons arrayed you
That you sit among the peoples
A thing of scorn and fear

-- Bertold Brecht

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
FPTP
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4780

posted 19 March 2004 11:40 AM      Profile for FPTP        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Map of the Human Heart"
Is an interesting Canadian movie about an inuit in WWII. Theme, we're all bastards. It shows the brutal bombing of Germany.

But, sticking with the theme of the thread:
A 1980s style action movie about a rambo style character who singlehanderly defeats the evil US army defending their fruit interests in a small central american country.

Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 19 March 2004 03:13 PM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A film that follows a Vietnamese peasant who, after losing his family and his home in North Vietnam to bombing, carries a single 155mm artillery shell down the Ho Chi Minh trail to the NVA regiment at the front. He endures airial bombardment, shelling, attacks by Marines, watched GI's raping girls and burning villiages, corrupt and brutal Viet Cong commanders driving him like oxen, swamps, impassable jungle and raging rivers. What keeps him going is the thought that his shell will end the war. That his shell will kill many Americans and avenge is murdered family.When he reaches the gun at the end of his months-long journey, the shell is fired in less than a second, and the Artillery officer orders him to bring another.

I read this nominally true story somewhere, and I think it would make a great, sad, movie.

[ 19 March 2004: Message edited by: Jingles ]

From: At the Delta of the Alpha and the Omega | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 25 March 2004 08:56 AM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
1. Story of a school teacher or health care worker murdered by the Contras in Nicaragua;
2. Life and times of (pick one) Amilcar Cabral, Patrice Lumumba, Samora Michel, Walter Sisulu, Nelson Mandela, Chris Hani, Ho Chi Minh, Ernesto Guevara, Farabundo Marti, August Sandino, ...
3. Jenghiz Khan: How I conquered the world.
4. Alexander the Great: same title.

From: Vancouver Island | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 25 March 2004 09:12 AM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
lumumba was made in 2000:

quote:
This emotional story is told with passion and conviction by Haitian director, Raoul Peck. Peck had made a documentary on Lumumba in 1992 and after a brief period as Haitian Minister for Culture in the mid-1990s, returned to filmmaking with a feature film version of Lumumba’s story. In 1963, two years after Lumumba’s death, Peck’s father had been part of a contingent of Haitian teachers recruited for the fledgling nation when the majority of Belgians left. Peck spent several years as a child there before further education in Germany and the USA.

From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 25 March 2004 09:34 AM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Guess I better rent it, eh? Thanks for the tip.
From: Vancouver Island | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 25 March 2004 10:36 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I saw Lumumba; some disturbing footage. Needless to say it was much more widely screened in the francophone world.

A film about Ernesto Guevara's early life, before he became the Che, was premiered at Sundance. It is based on Guevara's book "The Motorcycle Diaries" about his travels round South America with a fellow med student, where he discovers the dire poverty in many more "backward" regions of Latin America.

It hasn't seemed to arrive in cinemas yet - I think it will soon. My only concern is that the two young actors are Mexican, not Argentinean.

[ 25 March 2004: Message edited by: lagatta ]

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 25 March 2004 09:05 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What do you think of people like Robert Duvall, George Peppard and Marlon Brando playing German soldiers?

There ought to be a Hollywood movie about the Nakba.

How about a film portraying the Deir Yassin massacre?

Stephen Spielberg could direct.

[ 25 March 2004: Message edited by: al-Qa'bong ]

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 25 March 2004 09:19 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I want to see Robert Fisk's book " Pity the nation" made into a movie. But I'm stuck as to who would play Bob. Of course, they would have to sex him up, which, I think you'll agree, is a bit of a challenge.
From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 25 March 2004 09:21 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Michael Caine.
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 25 March 2004 09:23 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nakba? Deir Yassin massacre?
From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 25 March 2004 09:32 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by al-Qa'bong:
Michael Caine.

Perfect Choice. I could just see Sir Mike banging on Lecturnes and calling Yasser Arafat a corrupt, pathetic little despot.

[ 25 March 2004: Message edited by: CMOT Dibbler ]

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 25 March 2004 09:41 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nakba? Deir Yassin massacre?

See? Such a film is necessary.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 25 March 2004 09:43 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Michael Caine would indeed make a fine Fisk. A Christopher Hitchens character could make for good comic relief.

I'd been thinking for a while about a work about crossed refugees in 1948, either a Jewish survivor family in a DP camp and a Palestinian family evicted from their home in the Nakba, or a Muslim and a Hindu family on the wrong sides of the India / Pakistan partition line.

There have been some stories about the "conquest of the West" told from an Aboriginal viewpoint, but most depicted the US. (Even though quite a few prominent aboriginal films feature cast and settings on this side of the border).

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 25 March 2004 11:37 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
A Christopher Hitchens

Jeremy Irons...

CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 25 March 2004 11:40 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by al-Qa'bong:
Michael Caine.

Omar Sharif as Pierre Gemayel

CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 25 March 2004 11:44 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Isn't Deir Yassin now a neighborhood in Jerusalem?

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca