FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » culture   » fair use movie campaign

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: fair use movie campaign
natas
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4211

posted 18 March 2004 11:44 AM      Profile for natas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes I'm back! Please don't hurt me

Check out this presure campaign against myself in the name of fair use and artists' rights at the Niagara Indie Film Festival.

quote:

In 2002 I had a film accepted, then rejected from the Niagara (Canada) Indie Film Festival due to copyright. As you may know, I make collage films from mass media imagery in order to question and contextualize, and therefore critique, those images. I do this because 1) I'm broke and it's an accessible method under the circumstances, and 2) I have loved hip hop ever since my ear caught a fragment of "Night of the Living Baseheads" in the intro to Bowie's "Fame." The idea that I owe money (tens of dollars a SECOND usually) to corporate owners of intellectual property, if I wish to critique them in my media of choice, is just not convincing to me. "Artists' rights?" Ain't I an artist?

Cannes, TIFF, you name it - all acknowledge and respect - and program - fair use collage as an equally valid form of filmmaking. So the NIFF's policy on this amounts to a serious rollback.

If you want your response included in my zine, please either indicate it in your post or cc to the email in the call-out. Deadline April 1.

[ 18 March 2004: Message edited by: natas ]

From: Vineland Station, Ontario | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca