babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » culture   » Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Performance Anxiety
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3474

posted 17 March 2004 04:10 AM      Profile for Performance Anxiety        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Happy St. Patrick's Day! Anyone planning to celebrate Irish culture (or at least planning to go to the pub)?
From: Outside of the box | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfAnHourLater
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4641

posted 17 March 2004 01:55 PM      Profile for HalfAnHourLater     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can't swing a Cod without hitting a pint of the Green Stuff out here...besides they've been going since 7am down at O'Reilly's on George...

Happy St.Patrick's Day!

From: So-so-so-solidarité! | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 17 March 2004 03:54 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From my friend StellaNova, who is Irish:

quote:
Ireland is not some magical land of myth and legend. It's a modern, corrupt, dirty, bigoted shithole full of smug Thatcherites who refuse to make any long-term plans about the country. It's also full of very funny, smart people, some beautiful scenery, and to me, it's home. My family have lived here since at least the arrival of the Normans, I was born here, I was brought up here, and I've lived the vast majority of my 28 years here. But I refuse to sentimentalise it and pretend it's anything it's not.

[quote=http://www.livejournal.com/users/stellanova/147882.html?nc=27&style=mine]the rest[/url].

From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
4t2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3655

posted 17 March 2004 04:21 PM      Profile for 4t2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That last paragraph perhaps a bit harsh (there is a fairly vibrant resistance to the neo-libs, although it could be better). But the rest of the article is excellent. Dublin is today full of the worst sort of Irish-Americans.

The ones wearing green hats!!!!

I spent the afternoon avoiding the parade and instead watching the hurling final in Croke Park. Anyone here know what hurling is? (Hint: nothing to do with alcohol. Or croaking).

[ 17 March 2004: Message edited by: 4t2 ]

From: Beyond the familiar... | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 17 March 2004 04:21 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I love being half-Irish, half-French. I'm endlessly entertained by two groups of people who vent their racial prejudices by sniping at each other constantly, and who then come together for their shared revulsion of the English. A veritable theatre of the living. You can't make this stuff up
From: Québec/Ontario | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 17 March 2004 04:28 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi, 4t2, and happy hurling to you. Isn't hurling sort of like lacrosse? by which I mean a sort of cross between hockey and football?
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 17 March 2004 04:30 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hurling is tossing a big log, isn't it?
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 17 March 2004 04:34 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hurling is what most Saint Patrick's Day celebrants will be doing at 1:00 a.m. or so this evening.

Just kidding. I've only ever seen hurling played a couple of times, on TV. Is the field larger than a soccer field, or is my perception skewed?

[ 17 March 2004: Message edited by: Sarcasmobri ]

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 17 March 2004 04:39 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I was thinking of "caber toss". I'm the worst half-Irish person in the world. I'm constantly confusing Irish culture with Scottish.

...och, that comes from living in Canada I guess....och? I mean...ach...or éch.

...hostie!

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 17 March 2004 04:42 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How does 4t2 do that?

4t2, you look like CNN!

Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 17 March 2004 04:43 PM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hurling is what most Saint Patrick's Day celebrants will be doing at 1:00 a.m. or so this evening.

I can attest to the fact that some didn't make it much past 1:00 pm.

....this after a four Guiness lunch - but then again, I'm only 1/8th Irish myself.

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 17 March 2004 04:49 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*psst* skdadl

<,marquee,> Place flying text here <,/marquee,>

(without the dangles betwixt the angles)

Edited: It's late: sorry skdadl! I had to fix my poem, too.

[ 17 March 2004: Message edited by: Sarcasmobri ]

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 17 March 2004 04:52 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[marquee]testing, testing[/marquee]
4t2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3655

posted 17 March 2004 04:52 PM      Profile for 4t2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sort of.

Here's a pic.

And here's an edited description from www.gaa.ie:

quote:

Hurling is a game similar to hockey, in that it is played with a small ball and a curved wooden stick. It is Europe's oldest field game.

The stick, or "hurley" (called camán in Irish) is curved outwards at the end, to provide the striking surface. The ball or "sliothar" is similar in size to a hockey ball but has raised ridges.

You may strike the ball on the ground, or in the air. Unlike hockey, you may pick up the ball with your hurley and carry it for not more than four steps in the hand. After those steps you may bounce the ball on the hurley and back to the hand, but you are forbidden to catch the ball more than twice.

To get around this, one of the skills is running with the ball balanced on the hurley to score, you put the ball over the crossbar with the hurley or under the crossbar and into the net by the hurley for a goal, the latter being the equivalent of three points.

Each team consists of fifteen players.

Apparently "Hurlers are in such short supply in Montreal that the club will now consider anyone who has played golf or hockey at any stage". So if you are interested get your skates on!

This is our funky stadium - the above mentioned Croke Park. Bear in mind that all hurling and Gaelic football players are unpaid. And the game today was for clubs (local) - the team that won the hurling final draws its players from a village of a couple of hundred people. They expected about 20,000 people but the sun came out and twice that showed up, the gates had to be opened to let people in (also helped that was a cheap ticket, E10 students/senior citizens, E20 general).

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 17 March 2004 04:53 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
testing, testing

(trying with these brackets: < >)

[ 17 March 2004: Message edited by: audra trower williams ]

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 17 March 2004 04:54 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 17 March 2004 04:55 PM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You need to turn the square brackets into angle brackets. The square brackets are only for UBB code. Angle brackets are real HTML.
From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 17 March 2004 04:55 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I fixed it!
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
4t2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3655

posted 17 March 2004 04:59 PM      Profile for 4t2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It took me that long to get a nice stadium picture that you all wrote things in the meantime!

Anyway, skdadl, use < and > not [ and ] and you will be working perfectly!

Here's another photo from a previous game...

vickyinottawa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 350

posted 17 March 2004 05:16 PM      Profile for vickyinottawa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like to celebrate with a few pints and some spirited readings of my favourite Irish poems(Ni Dhomhnaill, yes, Yeats, no)....perhaps I will entertain you all later.
From: lost in the supermarket | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
vickyinottawa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 350

posted 17 March 2004 05:21 PM      Profile for vickyinottawa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On second thought, I will offer one now.

Bewley's Oriental Cafe, Westmoreland Street -- Paul Durcan

When she asked me to keep an eye on her things
I told her I'd be glad to keep an eye on her things.
While she breakdanced off to the ladies' loo
I concentrated on keeping an eye on her things.
What are you doing?--a Security Guard growled,
his moustache gnawing at the beak of his peaked cap.
When I told him that a young woman whom I did not know
Had asked me to keep an eye on her things, he barked:
Instead of keeping an eye on the things
Of a young woman whom you do not know,
Keep an eye on your own things.
I put my two hands on his hips and squeezed him:
Look--for me the equivalent of the Easter Rising
Is to be accosted by a woman whom I do not know
And asked by her to keep an eye on her things;
On her medieval backpack and on her spaceage Walkman;
Calm down and cast aside your peaked cap
And take down your trousers and take off your shoes
And I will keep an eye on your things also.
Do we not cherish all the children of the nation equally?
That woman does not know the joy she has given me
By asking me if I would keep an eye on her things;
I feel as if I am on a Dart to Bray,
Keeping an eye on her things;
More radical than being on the pig's back,
Keeping an eye on nothing.
The security Guard made a heap on the floor
Of his pants and shoes,
Sailing his peaked cap across the cafe like a frisbee.
His moustache sipped at a glass of milk.
It is as chivalrous as it is transcendental
To be sitting in Bewley's Oriental Cafe
With a naked Security Guard,
Keeping an eye on his things
And on old ladies
With thousands of loaves of brown bread under their palaeolithic oxters.

4t2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3655

posted 17 March 2004 05:26 PM      Profile for 4t2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ní Dhomhnaill, absolutely, yes. vickyinottawa, do you have access to a copy of Dubh / Black (her poem about Srebrenica)?? It is stunning. But I haven't got a copy. I heard her read it at an event two years ago and it literally silenced a buzzing room.
vickyinottawa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 350

posted 17 March 2004 07:18 PM      Profile for vickyinottawa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, I don't have that - the stuff I have is older and I think that is a more recent poem

She does a beautiful reading

Performance Anxiety
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3474

posted 18 March 2004 04:07 AM      Profile for Performance Anxiety        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I am canned! Glad folks had a fun day! I have to go to bed. Cheers!
Loony Bin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4996

posted 18 March 2004 10:14 AM      Profile for Loony Bin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Top o' the mornin to ya.

Anybody else out there feeling a little rough around the edges this morning??
(headachey smiley)

From: solitary confinement | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 March 2004 11:43 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
vickyinottawa, that is super. Can you or 4t2 fill me in on the literary or other references I am missing in these lines:

quote:
I feel as if I am on a Dart to Bray,
Keeping an eye on her things;
More radical than being on the pig's back,
Keeping an eye on nothing.

And thanks, audra. I shall try that again soon, somewhere, sometime when you least expect it ...

Performance Anxiety
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3474

posted 20 March 2004 11:23 PM      Profile for Performance Anxiety        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dart: Dublin Area Rapid Transport (a light railway system)

Bray: a neighbourhood / suburb of Dublin

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca