babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » Greatest books turned into movies.

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Greatest books turned into movies.
TrinityJ
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15159

posted 24 April 2008 10:56 AM      Profile for TrinityJ     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Genkav's thread about Stone Angelgot me thinking about some great books that were turned into big screen films. I was wondering what everyones favorite were. I guess we are talking best book turned into a film, or similarly, bet movie made from a book.

Please, let's keep Harry Pooper out of this.

jrose
babble intern
Babbler # 13401

posted 24 April 2008 11:23 AM      Profile for jrose     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... I feel like there is already a thread like this floating around, though I can't seem to locate it.

I'm always a sucker for To Kill A Mockingbird, no matter how times I read/watch it. It's a cliche answer, I know, but something about it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

johnpauljones
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7554

posted 24 April 2008 11:32 AM      Profile for johnpauljones     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Having just read the hagadah 2 nights in a row. Ten Commandments
From: City of Toronto | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 24 April 2008 11:39 AM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
White Oleander
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
A Clockwork Orange
Handmaiden's Tale
American Psycho

All of the above books translated into amazing movies...

From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
N.Beltov
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4140

posted 24 April 2008 11:44 AM      Profile for N.Beltov   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
2001: A Space Odyssey, of course, since the author was involved in the screenwriting and - I believe - the book was finished after the film.

But it might be more precise to describe it as a movie turned into a book. Heh.

There is an Indian version of Hermann Hesse's novel Siddhartha which is quite brilliant. Zeferelli's Romeo and Juliet is excellent, as is Branagh's version of Henry V. And, other than missing the character of Tom Bombadil, the recent LOTR trilogy directed by Peter Jackson was, well, excellent and reasonably faithful. It was so faithful, in fact, that Tolkien's flaws were readily apparent.

From: Vancouver Island | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jrose
babble intern
Babbler # 13401

posted 24 April 2008 12:11 PM      Profile for jrose     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
American Psycho

I'm reading another book by Bret Easton Ellis for my work book club (I know, dark choice), but I've yet to read American Psycho.

I also always thought that One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was an excellent adaptation.

Bacchus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4722

posted 24 April 2008 12:22 PM      Profile for Bacchus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Branagh's Hamlet as well as his Henry V
Stephen Gordon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4600

posted 24 April 2008 12:28 PM      Profile for Stephen Gordon        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do TV miniseries count?

If so, I'd like to nominate Brideshead Revisited and Pride and Prejudice.

Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 24 April 2008 01:35 PM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised, Stephen. Waugh didn't have a high regard for wealthy people eh.
From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sven
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9972

posted 24 April 2008 02:38 PM      Profile for Sven     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"The Shining" (the movie, IMO, was much better than King's book).
From: Eleutherophobics of the World...Unite!!!!! | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fleabitn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14927

posted 24 April 2008 03:31 PM      Profile for Fleabitn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
a poke in the eye with a sharp stick is better than ANY Stephen King novel.
From: between thought and action | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
angrymonkey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5769

posted 25 April 2008 12:35 AM      Profile for angrymonkey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dead zone was decent too. And I enjoyed count of monte cristo (the tv version with depardieu)
Blade runner (anyone seen scanner darkly?)

I still haven't bothered to rent republic of love because they set it in toronto -grrrr

melovesproles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8868

posted 25 April 2008 02:09 AM      Profile for melovesproles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unlike all the other movies based on Dick's stories, Scanner Darkly was actually loyal to the book.
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 25 April 2008 02:19 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In a sense, but they still screwed it up with all that animation. They were trying to make it like that philosophy moive tha came out a while back, but really it deserved the film noir treatement like Blad Runner, or something along those lines. Basicly I hated it, even though it is one of the Dick books I like best... partly because it is very real, and not at all Sci-fi, except in the most cursory sense. It is straight fiction really.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
melovesproles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8868

posted 25 April 2008 03:07 AM      Profile for melovesproles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fair enough, a lot of people didn't like it or watch it and I think the animation can be blamed for a lot of that. It personally didn't bother me, I was really pleased the script and story did such minimal violations to the novel(unprecedented, Blade runner was a very loose but decent adaptation, nothing that generous can be said for any of the others) and that Reeves wasn't as bad as I though he would be. It was definitely a more realistic and explicitly autobiographical novel than most of Dick's other books.
Papal Bull
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7050

posted 25 April 2008 03:54 AM      Profile for Papal Bull   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"We" would make probably the coolest sci-fi movie...ever. One Day in the Life Ivan Denisovich. Russian prison lit. in general would lead to great things. The movie "Brother" was absolutely spectacular - not to mention that old Russian silents and Soviet cinema in general are great flicks.
From: Vatican's best darned ranch | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 25 April 2008 04:17 AM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
jrose, Bret Easten Ellis may be dark but he is an amazing writer. He captivates from the beginning to the end without getting stupid. I love and have read all his books.

What book are you reading?

From: Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gab
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14992

posted 25 April 2008 05:41 PM      Profile for Gab     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes! American Psycho, very good call...
I would have to say one of my favourite ones is Fight Club. I think they did that book justice. Also Little Women did me proud. What about worst books turned into movies?? Simon Birch? Da Vinci Code?

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 25 April 2008 05:54 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by melovesproles:
Fair enough, a lot of people didn't like it or watch it and I think the animation can be blamed for a lot of that. It personally didn't bother me, I was really pleased the script and story did such minimal violations to the novel(unprecedented, Blade runner was a very loose but decent adaptation, nothing that generous can be said for any of the others) and that Reeves wasn't as bad as I though he would be. It was definitely a more realistic and explicitly autobiographical novel than most of Dick's other books.

I thought Ubik was the autobiographical one...

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Papal Bull
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7050

posted 26 April 2008 09:30 AM      Profile for Papal Bull   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cueball:

I thought Ubik was the autobiographical one...

I thought it was the one with the space laser lifeform that was talking to him and his many dozens of hundreds of pages.

From: Vatican's best darned ranch | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 26 April 2008 09:51 AM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gab, worst book turned into a movie? Good one. I immediately think of Legally Blond. I adore that movie but the book is useless, mindless drivel by a person who cannot write at all. Just a horrible book.

While A Clockwork Orange is a decent book, the movie is far better IMO.

Another good book turned into a movie is Slaves of New York by Tama Janowitz. She rules!

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 26 April 2008 09:55 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gab:
What about worst books turned into movies?? Simon Birch? Da Vinci Code?

Yeah, from what I've heard, Da Vinci Code really sucked in movie form, and that if you hadn't read the book, you couldn't make head or tail of the movie.

I enjoyed the book quite a bit, so I didn't bother seeing the movie.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yibpl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14791

posted 26 April 2008 12:37 PM      Profile for Yibpl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just watched The Mist, it was quite good. Wasn't crazy about the ending though.
From: Urban Alberta, wishing I was in Kananaskis | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gab
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14992

posted 26 April 2008 03:05 PM      Profile for Gab     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stargazer, I didn't know Legally Blonde was a book first!...guess I won't be reading it any time soon then. I did like the movie though (the first one anyways).
On a different note I JUST bought a really good book today at the Woman's Bookstore in TO and am really into it. It's called "Growing Up X" and it's a memoir by one of Malcolm X's daughter. Really interesting if anyone is looking for a good read.

laine lowe
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13668

posted 26 April 2008 03:46 PM      Profile for laine lowe     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To Kill a Mockingbird is both an excellent book and movie. I think the adaptation of The Great Gatsby was also very well done.

I thought House of Sand and Fog and Bridges of Madison County were much better films than novels.

On the other hand, why is it that Tom Robbins novels translate so badly into film?

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 26 April 2008 05:23 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I never read the book, but the film version of To Kill a Mockingbird was just excellent. I read One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and I loved it, but the film version may the greater impact on me. Generally speaking I prefer film versions to books - sometimes it's hard to visualize in your mind somethings in a book. Same as with Charles Dicken's A Christmas Carol and indeed anything by Dickens - the books are simply excellent, although in some cases a very long read, while the movie treatment is at most two hours. I prefer to watch classics on the big screen (or even on the telly) rather than have to sit down and digest a thick book - the plot which I probably might lose track of if I have many other things to do in the day.
From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 26 April 2008 06:01 PM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Stargazer, I didn't know Legally Blonde was a book first!..
Neither did I until I saw it at BMV. I was so disappointed after the first few pages. Whoever wrote the screenplay for Legally Blond was a genius, given the mess they had to work with. Basically she/he just used the concept. Thankfully!!

Oh and yes, Fight Club was amazing as well. I hear they are now filming The Informers, which is an excellent book.

jas
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9529

posted 26 April 2008 08:09 PM      Profile for jas     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stargazer:
Gab, worst book turned into a movie? Good one. I immediately think of Legally Blond. I adore that movie but the book is useless, mindless drivel by a person who cannot write at all. Just a horrible book.

Are you sure the book wasn't written after the movie?

I have one for worst book made from a movie: Mr. And Mrs. Smith. Not sure why, but I guess the marketing team thought that a book should accompany the movie, and it seems they hired a never-quite screenwriter, paid her off in several bottles of wine, and had her write it, shotgun, from the rough edit.

I bought the book for $1 second-hand. The cover was attractive and the movie had been entertaining, save its message that domestic violence is cool, sexy even, between physical equals. I actually regret throwing the book out as it could one day be a collector's item for worst fiction published by a major publisher as complement to a major studio film.

From: the world we want | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 26 April 2008 09:37 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stargazer:

While A Clockwork Orange is a decent book, the movie is far better IMO.

Well of course, the book didn't star Malcolm Mcdowell.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 27 April 2008 02:32 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jas:

Yeah, there are lots of those out there, and boy do they suck! I can't think of any examples at the moment for grown-up movies, although they are out there, and I've read them, and they're bad.

But they do that for children's movies and television shows all the time, and it's really annoying. I shudder at the poor quality of "Blue's Clues" and "Scooby-Doo" and "Dora the Explorer" books that they mass produce for kids.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stargazer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6061

posted 27 April 2008 05:58 AM      Profile for Stargazer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Nope, unfortunately. Someone actually wrote one of the most horrible books of all time. It doesn't even come close to resembling the movie. Really, the screen play was written by someone with an excellent imagination. The book is that bad.

Bacchus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4722

posted 27 April 2008 07:22 PM      Profile for Bacchus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yibpl:
Just watched The Mist, it was quite good. Wasn't crazy about the ending though.

Which for Stephen King is a bit of an oddity; a book with a hopeful ending, a movie with a bad bad ending for all

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca