FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » 2007 in Reviews

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: 2007 in Reviews
jrose
babble intern
Babbler # 13401

posted 27 December 2007 05:54 AM      Profile for jrose     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
rabble's book lounge, 2007 in reviews

Any favourite books of 2007?

M.Gregus
babble intern
Babbler # 13402

posted 28 December 2007 08:04 AM      Profile for M.Gregus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's nice to have the year's reviews in one place for easy skimming. This doesn't address your question, but looking back over the reviews jogged my memory about reviews themselves that I enjoyed. February with its food reviews was at the top of my favorites list. The selections are a good primer on global food systems and the choices (or lack thereof) we have at the grocery store or market these days. Having read Bitter Chocolate, I was most interested in that review and its assessment of the book as pessimistic. The follow-up interview gave Carol Off the opportunity to expand on her evaluation in light of further developments in the chocolate industry. I've also picked up The Omnivore's Dilemma and The Way We Eat though I haven't read them yet, after reading their reviews.

[ 28 December 2007: Message edited by: M.Gregus ]

From: capital region | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
OMeNerves
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14751

posted 28 December 2007 03:01 PM      Profile for OMeNerves     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not overly familiar with the book reviews on Rabble (I usually just check in on the news articles), but they're very good! Handy to have them all listed there.

For your question: I just finished reading the Shock Doctrine this week. Definately my favourite book from 2007.

Added bonus: it'll make a great reference book (Klein's citing is fabulous).

jrose
babble intern
Babbler # 13401

posted 28 December 2007 05:22 PM      Profile for jrose     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just finished Stephanie Nolen's Shakespeare's Face. It isn't from 2007, but I'm looking forward to reading her latest 28. Has anyone read it?

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca