babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » Doris Lessing wins Nobel Prize for Literature

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Doris Lessing wins Nobel Prize for Literature
Drinkmore
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7371

posted 15 October 2007 12:39 PM      Profile for Drinkmore     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What's your favourite Lessing Novel?
From: the oyster to the eagle, from the swine to the tiger | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
DonnyBGood
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4850

posted 15 October 2007 04:43 PM      Profile for DonnyBGood     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the only one I actually read any of (my loss) was The Marriages Between Zones Three, Four and Five (1980). To be quite honest I don't remember much but the scenery misty mountains, broad plains that kind of thing...

I thiink it is this English penchant for book series that threw me off. I always felt I was in the middle of a story that was resolving issues from previous books and developing new cliffhangers for the next. But I am probably wrong on this as well...

Perhaps you can recommend one for someone who has always been interested in her work but never took the time?

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 15 October 2007 04:46 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I read Golden Notebook, all the Shikasta series, of which the first was definitely the best, and also the Fifth Child, which probably merits the prize all on its own.

I don't think you could enjoy the Marriage of Zones Three, Four and Five, had you not read the first, and at least some of the rest of the series.

But I would also agree that she is not fore everyone, and this is understandable.

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rebecca West
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1873

posted 16 October 2007 06:29 PM      Profile for Rebecca West     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've enjoyed all of her novels,but the one that had the biggest impact on me was The Golden Notebook. The Children of Violence Series is also amazing, as are her future/speculative fiction forays.
From: London , Ontario - homogeneous maximus | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 16 October 2007 06:32 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are actually two threads on this, the other is over here: Doris Lessing wins the 2007 Nobel Prize in literature
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca