babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » Happy Non-Mother's Day!

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Happy Non-Mother's Day!
Lina Anang
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14157

posted 18 May 2007 10:43 PM      Profile for Lina Anang        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed reading Zoe Druicks review of "Happy Non-Mother's Day". There are so many books about motherhood, and far too few about women, who feel free not to fullfil the expectations of the society. I am a mother of a one-year old baby. After spending a year at home with irregular sleeping times etc., I have much more respect for women, who decided not to give up their carreers than I had before being a full-time mom. Happy non-mothers should be much more of a topic in order to achieve a shift in public attitude. There are so many ways to contribute to humanity, why let creativity be suppressed by archaic traditions.
Erik Redburn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5052

posted 18 May 2007 11:21 PM      Profile for Erik Redburn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nice idea. Welcome to Babble Lina. Also nice to see another lefty joining up.
From: Broke but not bent. | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 20 May 2007 02:36 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, welcome!

And I agree with you, too, about how society should respect the choice women make to not be mothers.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 20 May 2007 03:43 AM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Zoë Druick's review.
From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Southlander
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10465

posted 20 May 2007 01:10 PM      Profile for Southlander     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We just had mother's day in NZ! (well a week ago, but close)
jrose
babble intern
Babbler # 13401

posted 26 May 2007 07:12 AM      Profile for jrose     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd love to pick up this book, and I think I will. I know it will give my mother an absolute heartattack though if she sees me walk through the door with it!
Phrillie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 13965

posted 27 May 2007 06:48 PM      Profile for Phrillie        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to say that I didn't have children in order to fulfill society's expectations. Sure, all people's decisions should be respected but that one statement rubbed me the wrong way.
From: Salt Spring Island, BC | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca