today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » babble book lounge   » Guilty pleasure reading

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Guilty pleasure reading
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 05 May 2007 02:17 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, since I posted the guilty non-pleasure thread, I guess this one was inevitable.

My guilty pleasure? I'm embarrassed to admit that I recently re-read Petals on the Wind by V.C. Andrews. I first read that book as a preteen, and I read the rest of that series during my teens.

Every so often, like maybe once every 5 or 7 years or something, I re-read one or two of them. My reaction to them is always different every time I do.

What gothic melodrama those books are! And yet, they were addictive. Of course, the formula crap they started putting out in her name after she died is garbage. Okay, okay. It's all garbage. But the formula copycat stuff even moreso.

Your guilty reading pleasure?

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 05 May 2007 02:32 PM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The "Beauty" trilogy by Anne Rice. I find her writting style, while not amatuerish, not really professional. But then, I think I hold most American pop fiction writers in the same, or lower, regard. Rice does appreciate pacing though and her story telling abilities are not bad. So I could suffer through that because I enjoyed the subject matter. I'm not much into Vampires, so I've never bothered to read her other, more popular works.

For the record, it's actually reading a book written by Anne Rice that makes me feel guilty. Not the books themselves.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
West Coast Lefty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3697

posted 05 May 2007 07:14 PM      Profile for West Coast Lefty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know if this counts, but I love Stephen King books. I don't read them often but when I do, I get hooked every time and finish them within 2-3 days. I hadn't read King for years and then picked up "Bag of Bones" at some point in 2005 and just devoured it. He really knows how to intrigue the reader from the start, and apart from the chills and scares of the horror genre, his characters are actually quite compelling.

True story: at age 14, I finished reading "Pet Sematary" alone at home and I was so scared I had to leave the house!

From: Victoria, B.C. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca